Some Arguments Just Can't be Won. . .

by StinkyPantz 75 Replies latest jw friends

• teejay
    teejay

Happyout,

I really, REALLY like what you said on the abortion thread. When it comes to proper decorum when differences of opinion come up, what you said there is about the best I've ever seen expressed on this board. You said

>>>>> I don't have the gall to say my opinion is right for everyone, it is only my
    >>>>> opinion. I live my life according to my personal beliefs, and, within the
    >>>>> law, I expect others to do the same. Even though I personally would not
    >>>>> have an abortion (even if my life were in danger) that is MY CHOICE. I
    >>>>> can't force that choice on others. I don't live their life. I don't know what
    >>>>> type of mental, physical or spiritual issues they are dealing with. Why
    >>>>> can't we all just allow each person their own judgment, as long as it's
    >>>>> within the letter of the law.

There's nothing wrong with having strong opinions and it's normal to want to defend them. While we're doing that, though, it's a good idea to leave open the possibility that we're either dead wrong or that our opinion needs a little tweaking.

Considering where we are now vis-a-vis the JW religion as opposed to where we once were, we should have learned not to be dogmatic about anything.

p.s. Happyout, did I tell you how much I liked what you said? Well, I did. :D

• happyout
    happyout

Teejay,

Will you be my new best friend? Pretty please?

Thank you, you are pretty darn cool yourself. And intelligent to boot. Good thing we're both married, otherwise I might have

to do some virtual flirtin'.

Happyout

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal
    I've always looked at it this way, if you know you are right about something, do you find yourself infuriated over someone else's statements or opinions? Are you compelled to try to change that person's beliefs? Do you resort to emotional reactions and mind games in arguing your point? If these happen to you, maybe you don't have any real basis for your belief and just have a mind virus instead.

MindChild,

I bet you read that book by Ken or Steven Brody about mind viruses? Can' remember which was his first name. I read it a few years ago. Got it from the library, but I think I want to own it.

• heathen
    heathen

How about this argument , TASTES GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Flowerpetal said: "I bet you read that book by Ken or Steven Brody about mind viruses?"

Ah, yes you were close, it is "Virus of the Mind" by Richard Brodie. I have also read and enjoyed on the same topic, "The Meme Machine" by Susan Blackmore; "Thought Contagion" by Aaron Lynch, and "The Electric Meme" by Rober Aunger. Brodies book is a good general introduction to memes and mind viruses and really does open your eyes to how our beliefs are assimilated and integrated in our minds.

It is always fascinating to see how people think...now if I could just figure out women, I would be happy. lol Memes though are only half the story as 50% of what we believe and who we are comes from our genes. Still an important half.

Skipper

• teejay
    teejay

==============================================
    Thread Hijack

>>>>> Teejay, Will you be my new best friend? Pretty please?

Whoa! Good googlie mooglie!! I like it when a smart woman talks to me like that! Watch ya-sef nahh.... :D

Why sure! I'd be more than happy to be your newest bestest friend, Happyout. Considering the superlative quality of your posts and your consistently temperate tone, I'd consider friendship with you an honor (but wonder what the hell you're thinking wanting to be seen with the likes of me). :D

tj ~ who thinks that a lil' virtual flirtin' every now an' nin nevvvah hurt nobody!

p.s. Did you get my PM earlier today?

/Thread Hijack
    ==============================================

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Happyout-

Teej is trouble. Stay away. Trust me .

• Panda
    Panda

I remember believing the WTS knew what was right or wrong. I remember believing jws were the most loving organization. I remember thinking evolution was junk science. If people didn't present their arguments I may never have gotten my freedom.

Similarly, in CoC Ray gave the best arguments to leave the WTS. He spoke from authority and knowledge. So his arguments, though hard to digest if you're still borganated are logical and sound, EXCEPT if you are unwilling to accept them. So does that mean he has won or lost the argument. No. Because he's made his argument and proved his thesis.

A good argument is like a good cup of coffee, some like it bitter and others sweet.Panda

• Panda
    Panda

I remember believing the WTS knew what was right or wrong. I remember believing jws were the most loving organization. I remember thinking evolution was junk science. If people didn't present their arguments I may never have gotten my freedom.

Similarly, in CoC Ray gave the best arguments to leave the WTS. He spoke from authority and knowledge. So his arguments, though hard to digest if you're still borganated are logical and sound, EXCEPT if you are unwilling to accept them. So does that mean he has won or lost the argument. No. Because he's made his argument and proved his thesis.

A good argument is like a good cup of coffee, some like it bitter and others sweet.Panda

• Panda
    Panda

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit