Some Arguments Just Can't be Won. . .

by StinkyPantz 75 Replies latest jw friends

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

. . .and yet I still find myself engulfed in them.

Starting a thread about abortion, homosexuality, religion, capital punishment, euthanasia, evolution, race relations, war, politics, ect. are ultimately pointless.

It's usually the more stubborn ones that are involved in these discussions anyway, and they are unlikely to change.

*Of course there is the rare occasion where someone changes their mind, but is that better?*

So how do ya'll feel about gays?

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

LOL. As for arguments that can't be won, I like to fight them because people do change viewpoints. I've changed my viewpoints once a viable argument was presented to me.

As for gays, in the words of Tony the Tiger, They're g-g-g-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-eat!

ash

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

oh Stinky...Stinky Stinky Stinky

I love gay men!!!

The gay/lesbian coummunity is really no different from straights...except perhaps a better sense of style.

Lisa

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

The gay question was me joking, not meant to be answered. LOL!

Ashitaka-

What hardcore subject (other than religion obviously) was changed by an argument, I'm curious?

• Special K
    Special K

Stinky pantz

Sometimes, I think, its not the argument being won or not..

It's the thrill of the lively discussions that I love to read.

The differeing views.. some given very passionately I must say.

The acceptance of knowing that even if your view of something isn't really main stream as the rest..

You just can't get disfellowshipped for it.

And that is what makes the forum a safer place to be than inside a kingdom hall.

FREEDOM to THINK.

FREEDOM to SHARE

FREEDOM to SAY

sincerely

Special k

• minimus
    minimus

Stinky, I sincerely know what you mean........

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    . . .and yet I still find myself engulfed in them.

Me too.... sigh....

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

an argunment about the Trinity with Little Toe or Hooberus just cant be won either!!

• Simon
    Simon

I think trying to "win an argument" is the wrong approach. What we should aim to do is have a discussion, learn other viewpoints and share ours with others. How well this works depends on who is discussing it - some people are incapable of having a discussion without turning it into an ugly argument.

For many topics there will never be concensus simply because it is down to opinions on what is right and wrong rather than a fact.

eg. Arguing over the rights and wrongs of a war (opinion) as opposed to something specific like "have WoMD been found" (a fact). Likewise with homosexuality and abortion - a lot is to do with society, upbringing and opinion and a few things are to do with real facts.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

I try and stay out of posting on most of the "heavier topics". I will read, but not post. I will say though, that I have adjusted my opinions on some subjects based on the point - counterpoints that are made on those threads.

But I do shake my head at some posters, who will not let an issue end, until they think they have either convinced everybody that their viewpoint is the right one, or browbeaten them into abandoning the thread, or the board altogether.

xjw_b12 who likes a lively debate, but detests arguments.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit