Poll - What kind of Ancient People are YOU???

by LittleToe 71 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

What you wrote reminds me a lot of the theme in Petrine literature, especially the following passage in the Kerygma Petrou:

"For we find in the Scriptures, as the Lord says: 'Behold, I make with you a new covenant, not as I made with your fathers in Mount Horeb'. He made a new covenant with us; for what belonged to the Greeks and Jews is old. But we, who worship him in a new way, in the third form, are Christians. For clearly, as I think, he showed that the one and only God was known by the Greeks in a Gentile way, by the Jews Judaically, and in a new and spiritual way to us" (Kerygma Petrou, Clem. Alex. Stromata 6.5)

See also the parallel in 1 Peter 2:9 and the Valentinian Gospel of Philip 102b.

• myelaine
    myelaine

littletoe

I'm catogory 1 by way of circumsision of the heart.

I agree with bebu in that...I had the faith, saw the logic, saw the signs...then I was convinced.

michelle

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    I'm catogory 1 by way of circumsision of the heart.

That sounds painful

I agree with bebu in that...I had the faith, saw the logic, saw the signs...then I was convinced.

That seems to be the wrong way round. Shouldn't you believe based on the evidence rather than only getting evidence when you already believe?

• myelaine
    myelaine

funkyderek,

it was extremely painful and I guess I was born with faith or something.

michelle

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Derek:You're still thinking with a "religious" mindset, pal.
    It's more a case of a guy saying:
    "I've got a pal you might wanna meet. I can tell you some stuff about him, but you've gotta meet him for yourself".
    IMHO that's got little to do with religion or places of worship, though if you want to do that to, that's your call - no pressure either way.

Leo:
    Have I told you recently how much I love the way your mind works on this stuff, and the ready access you have to such material?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    It's more a case of a guy saying:
    "I've got a pal you might wanna meet. I can tell you some stuff about him, but you've gotta meet him for yourself".

And then saying: "Oh by the way, did I tell you he's invisible and doesn't talk much. Oh, and if he does talk to you, it will be very subtle and may be indistinguishable from coincidence."

When your pal walks into a locked room and shows me the holes in his hands, then I'll take note. Otherwise I'll have to assume he doesn't exist or doesn't want me as a friend.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ok, Thomas.
    Be sure and give the time-honoured reply, though
    (John 20:28)

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Ok, Thomas.
    Be sure and give the time-honoured reply, though

Well I didn't say that would be enough to make me believe. I mean, David Blaine could probably do that

Now if he turned water into beer....

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Derek:

Now if he turned water into beer....

Darn, that's not in the repertoir.

• Wine (not to be confused with whine) - yup
    • Beer - nope.

I need to find you a gorgeous Egyptian diety.
    How about Bast, Hathor, Isis, Sekhmet, or Tenenit?

So far I've only found Leprechauns as a potential supply of Guinness.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
  • Wine (not to be confused with whine) - yup
  • Beer - nope.
  • Hmmm, that's not really what I'm looking for in a deity. It'd do in a pinch though.

I need to find you a gorgeous Egyptian diety.
    How about Bast, Hathor, Isis, Sekhmet, or Tenenit?

Tenenit - goddess of beer. See, now that's a deity I can get on board with. A chick who brings beer. Unless she has the head of a jackal or something. Actually, even if she does, with enough beer, that shouldn't be a problem

So far I've only found Leprechauns as a potential supply of Guinness.
    Then you've probably been drinking too much of it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit