Do You Vote and/or Get Involved In Politics Now?

by minimus 91 Replies latest jw friends

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

OK, so the bill passed the California Legislature, and Davis didn't veto it - let's recall HIM? Is this like baseball - you can't fire the players?

BTW - I believe that the recall is legal and has been approved by California voters as provided for by law, and should proceed. But wanting to recall him for signing a bill that passed the Legislature seems a bit shortsighted. I think that this process has shown everyone involved that the law needs updating... but it should take its course.

And as far as the "blatant ploy" thing, my friend Darrell Issa (yes, he is my friend and former boss) spent 1.7 million dollars of his own money on this recall campaign in a blatant ploy to try to get the inside shot on becoming governor. He-he. Oops. Good thing he's got more. That's politics.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

"I believe that the recall is legal and has been approved by California voters as provided for by law, and should proceed. But wanting to recall him for signing a bill that passed the Legislature seems a bit shortsighted."

Oh, that's not the only reason this guy needs to be recalled. Do you really think this guy is not playing over politics?

"And as far as the "blatant ploy" thing, my friend Darrell Issa (yes, he is my friend and former boss) spent 1.7 million dollars of his own money on this recall campaign in a blatant ploy to try to get the inside shot on becoming governor. He-he. Oops. Good thing he's got more. That's politics."

And, obviously Mr. Issa bowed out of the race very early on. Don't quite see your point.

• sens
    sens
    Do You Vote and/or Get Involved In Politics Now?

Nah...

• minimus
    minimus

Phantom, can you tell me more about Issa? Why did he back out so soon and cry like a baby? It didn't look good on TV.

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

min, when I started fading a few years back, I really wanted to register to vote. I tried to find in the publications anything that said I could be DF for voting ( all my family was in, and I didn't want to get in trouble ), but I couldn't find anything concrete. So I decided I would register to vote, and damn the consequences. Let me tell you, it was a liberating experience. After growing up a dub, and being told to remain neutral, I was finally able to have a voice. Of course my voting area had to be in a church, and I was a little nervous that someone would see me walking in, but it was fine. I have voted a couple times since, and it feels great!

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

I haven't talked to him about it directly, but from what I've heard he just knew that Arnold would kill him. I think he was expecting some "gentlemanly conduct" from other Republicans, (as in "well, you paid for this, you go ahead") and instead they all jumped into the pool.

Besides, if you realized that you just wasted ONE POINT SEVEN MILLION, wouldn't you cry?

Bye.

• minimus
    minimus

That's not a lot of money for that type of campaign. And no, I wouldn't cry about it.

• Aztec
    Aztec

As to the original question...YUP! EVERYTHING!

~Aztec

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Speaking of voting, we're in the middle of a provincial election campaign in Ontario. I encourage all eligible residents of Ontario to do the responsible thing and cast your vote on October 2.

Let's get the Tories out of power, and elect a responsible government for Ontario!

Walter

Ontario Liberal Overbeer

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I vote. Signed up as soon as I could. I consider it a privilege and my duty as a citizen. I feel very honored to participate in something that was so long denied me: my voice and my choice. I also put my hand over my heart when the Pledge of Allegiance is said, and I cry when they sing the Star Spangled Banner, because I am very patriotic. Patriotic does not equal idiotic. I carefully survey the issues, investigate the candidates, and make my decisions based on that research. I take it very seriously as it could affect my future and that of my child. I am strongly aware of current issues, and I think it's good to be abreast of current events. <now don't get excited cuz I said a breast -- grin>. I don't believe everything the government tells me, nor do I discount everything they say. I exercise, freely, my choice. I like to do that. It feels good to at last have that freedom to think .. isn't it great!?

I would love to be more active, but unfortunately my temper's too hot for that!

CG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit