Been years since Ive gone - should I bother with a letter?

by BeaverEater 29 Replies latest jw friends

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    Say it out loud to yourself. Has the same effect without potential for more drama.
  • Incognito
    Incognito

Although it seems you successfully faded, providing a resignation letter implies they continue to have some authority over you as a member.

If you truly consider yourself as no longer a member and therefore don't need to answer to them, do not communicate anything.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

Everyone is different...once I was settled in my mind that I had been made a fool of for 50 years and had taught people lies, I couldn't get the letter out fast enough! I knew the price. I didn't want them to think I was a member-howbeit inactive. I think the fact that you are asking the question is telling ....I am wondering it the readers go to the end signature first to see who is doing the writing...so I am back to an alias...

When I wrote, I started out showing research on the GB quoting WT and then I put in the scriptures that disputed the GB. They acknowledged the research but still defended the org. I have no respect for them!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I agree with those on here who feel No need to write a letter after they’re done with the Witness religion! ..When I did my ‘Fade’ from the religion I just wanted Out. I didn’t want any drama with stupid people.

However, if somebody wants to write a Disassociation letter (especially one of those looong ones), please be aware that your letter will not be read in full.. Maybe the first paragraph will get read (in the back room in private) until they get the point that you don’t believe it anymore.. Their faith is so flimsy that they don’t dare read the rest.. All your very valid reasons will not even be heard.

Unless you told your friends privately before you sent the letter, the congregation will never learn the reasons why you left. Your name will just be announced…

But, if anybody wants to write their letter because it makes them feel better to ‘tell the religion off’, go right ahead. There is no right or wrong.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

beaver eater

like the user name !

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

FedupThe more you stir up dirt, the worse it smells?☺️

beaver eater

didnt need Google translate for that one😜

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

FedupThe more you stir up dirt, the worse it smells?☺️

I did see that translation this afternoon. My father said though, and Google translate confirmed it this morning, that the literal translation is, "The more you stir in shit, the worse it smells."

Has a little different impact, IMO.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I doubt they’ve given you what you want.

So, why would you give them what they want?

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Why put yourself back on their radar? Been 20 years? Hell, there's probably not many left that you knew still "in" from back then. Many have left or died!!

Just press on with your life. Best of luck.

• dozy
    dozy

Unless you still have some tangible connection with the congregation ( via family or whatever) then I wouldn't bother and just pat yourself on the back for having faded without being DFd.

Congregation personnel does change surprisingly quickly. I went to a funeral recently in my old KH (left about 10 years ago) and only recognised less than 25% of the congregation. Most of the people I knew had died , were sick or elderly, moved out or left the Org.

I remember when I was in and an elder we received a long , rambling letter from a guy who apparently had used to attend 15 years or so before. Only one of the elders could vaguely remember him. As hardly anybody knew him we just decided to "file" the letter (essentially in the bin) and decided not to make an announcement unless he followed up or attended as what was the point of announcing a DA from someone who nobody basically knew.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit