How Does Your Internet Persona Differ From....

by Frannie Banannie 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Maverick
    Maverick

I am definitely TALLER online!

I will tell more stuff to you guys than people I know. So that makes me more open, too!

PS is right about being able to compose ones thoughts and choose the best form of expression, or to pass on commenting at all. I will start to comment and decide to expunge,( I love that word and don't get to use it much) the whole reply more often than I post. You can tell when I cut loose because there are lots of typos! My fingers are going like crazy when I am worked up. And I can't spell to save my life! Maverick

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

tee hee.

The best way to find this out (if you're single) is internet dating. Exchange blind e-mails with someone. See their photo. Then talk to them on the phone a few times. By the time you actually meet them, you will be presented with someone totally different than the person you made up in your mind.

Nothing against internet dating - met great people that way, met my fiancee that way. But get off of email ASAP and off of the phone ASAP and meet for a drink or coffee.

Oh - JYIS="Jane, You Ignorant Slut" (with apologies to anyone out there named Jane, or too young to remember SNL Weekend Update with Jane Curtin).

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim, that holds true for me, too...much easier to express myself with the written word...easier to collect my thoughts....I'm not a talker, either....Let us know when your book is published....What's it gonna be about, eh?

Frannie B.,

I am a science fiction writer. My first novel is being typeset as I write this. I am awaiting the publisher's proofs on the front and back covers. Once I give them the "go ahead", it goes into print.

If you want details, I have written a brief synopsis on the novel (entitled Squares, Triangles, and Saucers), as well as two other novels which are still being written. They appear on my personal web site at:

http://www.rationallunacy.com/write/scifi.html

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    it's been shown that people think differently through text than through speech. The act of typing, of composing your thought, shapes the development of the thought totally differently than if you were speaking one-on-one. Our conversations would be totally different in person - not just because of the sequecning issues, but because our thoughts would progress in different directions. It's like squeezing toothpaste out of the tube - the act of squeezing it forms the structure.

Another thing that changes on the internet is our reactions to other's body language, tone of voice, and volume of voice. You can tell which of us probably speak loudly... but those of us who are conflict-averse don't react to the loud voice people the same way, precisely because of the nature of the medium.

I tend to be a bit more cerebral and a bit less JYIS than in person.

LOL, Phantom....why do I keep feeling the urge to call you "Professor"? but you're right on it, PS....that explains why it's easier to be who we are inside on the internet, where we don't feel inhibited or intimidated by others' body language and tones of voices...

I will start to comment and decide to expunge,( I love that word and don't get to use it much) the whole reply more often than I post. You can tell when I cut loose because there are lots of typos! My fingers are going like crazy when I am worked up. And I can't spell to save my life! Maverick

Velly intellestink, Mav....I'll haf to keep dot in mind when I vread your posts in de futyah....

I am a science fiction writer. My first novel is being typeset as I write this. I am awaiting the publisher's proofs on the front and back covers. Once I give them the "go ahead", it goes into print. If you want details, I have written a brief synopsis on the novel (entitled Squares, Triangles, and Saucers), as well as two other novels which are still being written. They appear on my personal web site at:

http://www.rationallunacy.com/write/scifi.html

HOLEY MOLEY, SFJ!!! I am in the presence of greatness!!! I'm gonna go look soon as I finish this post....

The best way to find this out (if you're single) is internet dating. Exchange blind e-mails with someone. See their photo. Then talk to them on the phone a few times. By the time you actually meet them, you will be presented with someone totally different than the person you made up in your mind. Nothing against internet dating - met great people that way, met my fiancee that way. But get off of email ASAP and off of the phone ASAP and meet for a drink or coffee.

Good points, Phantom....excellent!

Frannie B

Click to subscribe to ExJWsRockandRoll

• sens
    sens

Im shy, self concsious & Never Know what to say IRL...the only times I remember standing up for myself was when I back answered elders

3 Sens 4

alt

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Congratulations, sfj... you beat me into book form! But I'm a-comin!

• Aztec
    Aztec

I'm less confrontational in day to day life than I am online. I'm a bit more reserved as well. The computer allows me to yell at people without having to hear them yell back...LOL!

~Aztec

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I'm kind of shy and reserved both online and in person.

Walter

Ontario District Overbeer

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Hmm...well how can I be objective about myself?

I'd guess to say, I'm fairly friendly, easy going, warm.....somewhat like I am on here. I'm not one to engage in fruitless arguements (agree to disagree, is fine by me), and I can make a killer martini.

I like to have a good laugh, and certain people do bring that out in me. iiz2cool: he can crack me up pretty good despite his description above.

Aztec: is adorable, warm, and pretty much 'what you see is what you get' (she's not a Republican).

iiz2cool: yeah, he's reserved on-line and in-person.....add , things do change.

Anyone who has met me, can say what they wish, as they can see me differently.

Good thread btw .

• kelpie
    kelpie

I am the same on line as I am off line.. A cheap drunk...Just ask Bliss... hehehe

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit