Which songs do you members over 40...and then members under 40

by berylblue 74 Replies latest social entertainment

• DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW

Hey Sixy of Niney;

I used to have several Les Paul's that would now bring probably upwards of $2000 each. ;(
    About a year ago I bought a Jay Turser copy for ~$275 and it just beats the living hell out of any other Les Paul copy I've owned or played. Now I'm just a rank amatuer (emphasis on rank) but in my opinion they make excellent guitars for beginners & intermediaries without costing two arms and two legs. I've seen some locally in shops but you can find them on ebay to see the variety they make and descriptions etc.

Just my 3 cents and whatever axe your daughter winds up with, best of luck to her (and your ears!)

• COMF
    COMF

he was a wanna be thug--but IMO his heart was in the right place.

Teejay, sometimes you redefine "strange".

• AlanF
    AlanF

Nelson Eddy & Jeanette McDonald rock!

AlanF

• nowisee
    nowisee

well i'm way over 40 and gettin further and further away from it....

time does march on.

the one song that came immediately to mind was "blowin in the wind" by bob dylan. it really seemed to be a springboard for so many events in the 60's -- civil rights, jfk assassination, sit-ins, protests, viet nam, a real distillation of the feelings of that time.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

TJ,

I agree that he didn't really live the life--he was a wanna be thug--but IMO his heart was in the right place.

It is a strange world when entertainers feel compromised because they might be 'outed' for only pretending to be a 'thug'. It is even stranger when their fans understand them.

HS

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Hey now 2Pac is my all time favorite artist. Period. Don't be ragging on him! Chances are you have never even taken the time to truly listen to his lyrics. All too often those who dislike rap altogether immediately dismiss it as garbage.

Yes he may have attempted to project the image of of a thug while attending art school as a child, but hey, like it or not, it was an excellent marketing strategy. Let us make a comparison. Do you fault George Bush for putting on a military outfit and landing on an aircraft carrier and claiming to be a soldier? (Right-wing pricks who interject to defend him take heed, he was AWOL in the Texas Air National Guard and has yet to account for it, learn your facts before opening your mouth and promptly inserting your foot.)

To date there are hundreds, if not thousands, of clones and wannabes riding his coattails aspiring for the fame and legend he possessed and still possesses. No rapper has or will match the lyrical talent and mystique he holds. Like legendary artists of other genres, such as Elvis, Marvin Gaye, Aaliyah, and others, having died before his time at the ripe old age of 25 he will be known more for his potential and what could have been. Taking into consideration what he DID accomplish in his 25 years is testament enough to his greatness.

An entire generation of youth listen to his music with adoration as those decades ago listened to the Beatles and Elvis. Make fun of him all you want or call him names, but his name will be remembered and cherished long after you or I are dead and forgotten.

Have a nice day.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Teejay, sometimes you redefine "strange".

That's when he's not redefining "thug" lol.

• teejay
    teejay

The 70s

Boogie Oogie Oogie -- A Taste Of Honey

Fernando -- Abba

You Ought to Be With Me, I'm So In Love With You, I'm Still In Love With You -- Al Green

Year Of The Cat -- Al Stewart

Show and Tell -- Al Wilson

Horse With No Name, Tin Man, Ventura Highway -- America

Day Dreaming, Until You Come Back to Me -- Aretha Franklin

Imaginary Lover -- Atlanta Rhythm Section

Pick Up The Pieces -- Average White Band

Do It (Til You're Satisfied) -- B. T. Express

I Write The Songs, Mandy, Copacabana -- Barry Manilow

Can't Get Enough of Your Love Babe, You're the First, the Last, My Everything, Practice What You Preach -- Barry White

Jive Talkin', Night Fever, You Should Be Dancing, How Deep Is Your Love -- Bee Gees

Livin' It Up (Friday Night) -- Bell / James

Do You Want to Dance -- Bette Midler

Theme From "Rocky" (Gonna Fly Now) -- Bill Conti

Ain't No Sunshine -- Bill Withers

Just The Way You Are -- Billy Joel

Me and Mrs. Jones -- Billy Paul

Nothing From Nothing, Will It Go Round in Circles -- Billy Preston

I Can Help -- Billy Swan

Walking in Rhythm -- Blackbirds

Sideshow -- Blue Magic

Don't Fear The Reaper -- Blue Oyster Cult

What You Won't Do For Love -- Bobby Caldwell

Low Down, Harbor Lights -- Boz Scaggs

Make it With You -- Bread

Dazz -- Brick

Muskrat Love, Love Will Keep Us Together -- Captain & Tennille

It's Too Late, Jazzman, So Far Away -- Carole King

We've Only Just Begun, Yesterday Once More -- Carpenters

Another Saturday Night, Morning Has Broken -- Cat Stevens

I'm Every Woman -- Chaka Khan

Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is, If You Leave Me Now -- Chicago

Fool (If You Think It's Over) -- Chris Rea

Feels So Good -- Chuck Mangione

Just To Be Close To You, Sail On, Commodores, Three Times A Lady, Easy -- Commodores

Just A Song Before I Go, Southern Cross, Teach Your Children -- Crosby, Stills & Nash

Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue -- Crystal Gayle

Freddie's Dead, Superfly -- Curtis Mayfield

Walk Away From Love -- David Ruffin

Dueling Banjos -- Deliverance Soundtrack

Bad Girls, Love To Love You, Baby, Last Dance -- Donna Summer

What a Fool Believes, Black Water, China Grove, Free Ride, It Keeps You Running, Jesus Is Alright, Listen to the Music, Long Train Running, Minute By Minute -- Doobie Brothers

Cherchez La Femme -- Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band

A Little Bit More, When You're in Love With a Beautiful Woman -- Dr. Hook

What You See is What You Get -- Dramatics

Best of My Love, Lyin' Eyes, One Of These Nights, Take It To the Limit, Hotel California -- Eagles

After the Love is Gone, Get Away, September, Shining Star, Sing A Song, Serpentine Fire -- Earth, Wind & Fire

War -- Edwin Starr

Bennie and the Jets, Daniel, Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Philadelphia Freedom, Rocket Man, Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting, Someone Saved My Live Tonight, Don't Go Breaking My Heart -- Elton John / Kiki Dee

Lay Down Sally -- Eric Clapton

Shame -- Evelyn "Champagne" King

One Less Bell to Answer -- Fifth Dimension

Feels Like The First Time -- Foreigner

Disco Nights (Rock Freak) -- G.Q.

Dream Weaver -- Gary Wright

The Masquerade, On Broadway -- George Benson

Alone Again (Naturally), Clair -- Gilbert O'Sullivan

Midnight Train to Georgia, Neither One Of Us -- Gladys Knight / the Pips

The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald -- Gordon Lightfoot

Sara Smile, She's Gone -- Hall and Oates

Cat's In The Cradle -- Harry Chapin

Always And Forever, Boogie Nights, The Groove Line -- Heatwave

Angie Baby -- Helen Reddy

Rock the Boat -- Hues Corporation

Theme from "Shaft" -- Isaac Hayes

That Lady -- Isley Brothers

ABC - 1,2,3, Never Can Say Goodbye, Got to Be There, Stop! The Love You Save -- Jackson Five

Fire and Rain, How Sweet It Is, Long Ago And Far Away, Mud Slide Slim, Places In My Past, Walking Man, You've Got A Friend -- James Taylor

At Seventeen -- Janis Ian

Bad Bad Leroy Brown, I Got A Name, I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song, You Don't Mess Around With Jim -- Jim Croce

Margaritaville -- Jimmy Buffet

You're So Beautiful -- Joe Cocker

Ain't Gonna Bump No More With No Big Fat Woman -- Joe Tex

Annie's Song, Back Home Again, Calypso, Grandma's Feather Bed, Rocky Mountain High, Sunshine On My Shoulders -- John Denver

Welcome Back Kotter -- John Sebastian

Disco Lady -- Johnnie Taylor

I Can See Clearly Now -- Johnny Nash

Carry On Wayward Son, Dust In The Wind -- Kansas

Hollywood Swinging, Jungle Boogie, Ladies Night, Summer Madness -- Kool and the Gang

Falling -- LeBlanc & Carr

You Make Me Feel Like Dancing, -- Leo Sayer

Blue Bayou -- Linda Ronstadt

Love's Theme -- Love Unlimited Orchestra

Sweet Home Alabama -- Lynyrd Skynyrd

Love Won't Let Me Wait -- Major Harris

Suavecito -- Malo

Let's Just Kiss and Say Goodbye -- Manhattans

Midnight at the Oasis -- Maria Muldaur

Come Get To This, Distant Lover, If This World Were Mine, Got To Give It Up, Let's Get it On, Mercy, Mercy, Me, What's Going On -- Marvin Gaye

The Entertainer -- Marvin Hamlisch

Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now -- McFadden and Whitehead

Midnight Blue -- Melissa Manchester

Cheaper To Keep Her, TSOP, K-Jee, Love Has No Time Or Place, Love Is The Message -- MFSB

Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, Girlfriend, I Can't Help It, Off The Wall, Burn This Disco Out, Rock With You -- Michael Jackson

Wildfire -- Michael Murphey

Tubular Bells -- Mike Oldfield

Lovin' You -- Minnie Riperton

Love Machine -- Miracles

I've Got Love On My Mind -- Natalie Cole

Play Me -- Neil Diamond

Breaking Up is Hard to Do, Laughter In The Rain -- Neil Sedaka

Fire, Fopp, Love Rollercoaster, Sweet Sticky Thang -- Ohio Players

Back Stabbers, Forever Mine, I Love Music, Love Train, Use Ta Be My Girl -- O'Jays

Dance With Me -- Orleans

Flashlight -- Parliament

Kodachrome, Loves Me Like a Rock, Fifty Ways To Leave Your Lover -- Paul Simon

Thin Line Between Love and Hate -- Persuaders

Leaving on a Jet Plane -- Peter, Paul and Mary

Bohemian Rhapsody, We Are The Champions -- Queen

Short People -- Randy Newman

The Streak -- Ray Stevens

You Can't Change That -- Ray Parker, Jr. and Raydio

Come and Get Your Love -- Redbone

Chuck E's in Love -- Rickie Lee Jones

Killing Me Softly With His Song, Where is the Love -- Roberta Flack / Donny Hathaway

Da Ya Think I'm Sexy, Maggie May, Tonight's The Night -- Rod Stewart

Car Wash -- Rose Royce

Sweet Thing, Tell me Something Good -- Rufus

Escape (The Pina Colada Song) -- Rupert Holmes

Candy Man -- Sammy Davis, Jr.

Black Magic Woman -- Santana

Summer Breeze, Diamond Girl -- Seals and Crofts

Bridge Over Troubled Water -- Simon and Garfunkel

We Are Family -- Sister Sledge

Wildflower -- Skylark

Family Affair, Everyday People, Hot Fun In The Summertime, Thankyou For Lettin' Me Be Myself -- Sly and the Family Stone

Tears Of A Clown, Cruisin' Together, Ooo Baby Baby -- Smokey Robinson And The Miracles

Could it Be I'm Falling in Love, Games People Play, One Of A Kind, The Rubberband Man -- Spinners

Do It Again, Hey Nineteen, Josie, Reeling In The Years, Rikki Don't Lose That Number, Deacon Blues, Peg -- Steely Dan

On And On -- Stephen Bishop

Fly Like An Eagle -- Steve Miller Band

Higher Ground, If You Really Love Me, Living For the City, Superstition, You Haven't Done Nothing, You're The Sunshine Of My Life, I Wish, Sir Duke, Living For The City -- Stevie Wonder

Betcha By Golly Wow, I'm Stone in Love With You, Stop, Look, Listen, People Make The World Go 'Round -- Stylistics

Just My Imagination, Ain't Too Proud To Beg, Get Ready, I Can't Get Next To You, I Heard It Through The Grapevine, What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted, Papa Was a Rolling Stone -- Temptations

Shambala, Old Fashion Love Song, Out In The Country, Summer In The City, One Is The Lonliest Number -- Three Dog Night

Hello It's Me, I Saw The Light -- Todd Rundgren

The Hustle -- Van McCoy

The World Is A Ghetto, Why Can't We Be Friends -- War

Play That Funky Music -- Wild Cherry

Be Thankful For What You Got -- William DeVaughn

If I Can't Have You -- Yvonne Elliman

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I used to have several Les Paul's that would now bring probably upwards of $2000 each. ;(
    About a year ago I bought a Jay Turser copy for ~$275 and it just beats the living hell out of any other Les Paul copy I've owned or played. Now I'm just a rank amatuer (emphasis on rank) but in my opinion they make excellent guitars for beginners & intermediaries without costing two arms and two legs. I've seen some locally in shops but you can find them on ebay to see the variety they make and descriptions etc.

thanks dfw. So what transpired to make your old guitars worth more? Just the age? Is the Jay Turser a brand name, or a Les Paul offshoot? Maybe we can get together sometime, and you can show FOSL some stuff to shoot for.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Reborn,

An entire generation of youth listen to his music with adoration as those decades ago listened to the Beatles and Elvis. Make fun of him all you want or call him names, but his name will be remembered and cherished long after you or I are dead and forgotten.

Actually, we are making fun of TJ, or at least his post, which is coincidentally as hard to forget as you suppose 2Pac's music is. I will say though that dying at twenty-five is a smart move if you want to be revered as a musician. People will tend to read much more into your life and music than was actually there. The alternative to an early death is Keith Richards, and frankly I would not wish that fate on anyone, not even Elton John....

Best regards - HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit