Which songs do you members over 40...and then members under 40

by berylblue 74 Replies latest social entertainment

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Beryl,

I hate to belabor the point, but have you ever really listened to Al Stewart? Not his hits, his historical songs. They are amazing.

Yes, I have, in fact I once overnighted at his place many years ago when snows fell too heavily. He has an unusual timbre to his voice which is very hypnotic. Al worships Bert Jansch and Ewan Macoll, an inspiration to many who began as 'pickers'. Davy Graham, though a weak vocalist and a crummy songwriter was Bert Jansch's inspiration. I have never heard the acoustic guitar played as well in the folk idiom, he takes away the breath.

Best regards - HS

• teejay
    teejay

From the 60s:

A Hard Day's Night, Can't Buy Me Love, Yesterday -- The Beatles

Alfie -- Dionne Warwick

Blue Velvet -- Bobby Vinton

California Dreamin' -- Mamas / the Papas

Dock of the Bay -- Otis Redding

Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying, Ferry Cross the Mersey -- Garry and the Pacemakers

Georgia On My Mind -- Ray Charles

Gimme A Little Sign -- Brenton Wood

Grazing in the Grass -- Hugh Masekela

Groovin' -- Young Rascals

The Happening, I Hear a Symphony -- Supremes

Ain't No Mountain High, I Heard it Through the Grapevine, Nothing Like The Real Thing -- Marvin Gaye (and Tammie Terrell)

I Wish It Would Rain, Just My Imagination, My Girl -- Temptations

King of the Road -- Roger Miller

Didn't I Blow Your Mind, La La Means I Love You -- Delfonics

Light My Fire -- Jose Feliciano

Little Green Apples -- O. C. Smith

My Cheri Amour -- Stevie Wonder

My Guy -- Mary Wells

Soulful Strut -- Young Holt Unlimited

Spooky, Stormy -- Classics IV

Suspicious Minds -- Elvis Presley

The Look of Love, Like A Lover -- Sergio Mendes / Brasil '66

Think -- Aretha Franklin

One Less Bell To Answer, Stone Soul Picnic, Wedding Bell Blues -- Fifth Dimension

Shotgun, What Does it Take (to Win Your Love) -- Jr. Walker and the All Stars

Wichita Lineman -- Glen Campbell

• berylblue
    berylblue

Wow, comf, a little more than I expected.

The lyrics are not first rate, I will readily grant you that, and not what I have grown to love from Al Stewart. Still, the simplicity of the melody enhanced by the great vocals, is most touching.

YMMV, of course. (and does!!! apparently)

PS God Only Knows is on Al Stewart's top ten songs, FWIW.

• berylblue
    berylblue

Hillary, I'm going to see him next Saturday. Shall I send your regards?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Beryl,

lol...Well tell him to think back two and a half decades to Ambleside and a musical snob who was also a JW. You can inform him that I am still a musical snob.

As an aside, a good friend who plays a very talented guitar for a well known US band ( Small Tootsies - let the user use discernment ) also runs a business fitting guitars to players. If anybody is after a special guitar let me know and I will get you together with him. He can procure top names instruments at very reasonable prices.

Enjoy the show Beryl - HS

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Hoyhoy to that Hillary. My dear daughter has decide she needs an electric, after deciding that she first needed an acoustic. Any recomendations? She's unfortunately a better shopper than player at this point (though I am proud of the progress she's making, that any child of mine can "get" the guitar is a miracle indeed, lol), and has decided an Epiphone Les Paul Standard is the ticket.

I'm rather amazed at the guitar market actually... it almost seems artificially inflated like the diamond market, lol. I can't help but think that a beginer would hardly notice the difference between a 200 dollar guitar and a 500 dollar guitar? Also, what is needed for basic electric effects? I have acess to an alesis quadraverb DEP, is that relevant?

Six~ willin' to play chickens with the dixie chicks class

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

OOOOOH ! don’t tease me with MUSIC …
    It’s a big part of my life (big list – some has a story, some talks to me a lot, some just have a sweet melody, some are just what I need to shake my butt-butt from time to time ) most are old school (BUT ALIVE)

Interesting to know peoples tastes with the reason why … I may have some stuff to download or buy very soon

Tell me, tell me, tell me !

• rocketman
    rocketman

I'd imagine that over 40 people relate more to The Beatles, Stones, Elvis, Elton John, David Bowie, The Eagles and that kind of stuff. Those were some of the obvious big-name acts of the 60s and 70s. Of course, ditto for the Beach Boys.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Al Stewart had some darned good tunes too!

• suzi_creamcheez
    suzi_creamcheez

Ani DiFranco: 32 Flavors

This is a great song about being an individual, being different, thinking for yourself.

Hem: Rabbit Songs

I just got this CD and absolutely love it! A mix of folk, country & bluegrass.

Some old favorites of mine, typical cry-your-heart out chick music

Eliza Carthy: Angels and Cigarettes

Tori Amos: Little Earthquakes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit