Which songs do you members over 40...and then members under 40

by berylblue 74 Replies latest social entertainment

• berylblue
    berylblue

Which songs do all of you over 40 feel are must-listens for those of every age?

Conversely, I really would like to know what the younger ones here think are the must -hear songs for every generation. WIthout my daughters in my life, I don't get to hear the better offerings of the new artists.

I will start, surprisingly, with a non-Al Stewart selection.

"God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys. An excellent example of how a very simple melody embellished with sentimental lyrics and outstanding vocals can become a classic.

• Hamas
    Hamas

Hi Sweetheart

The musical taste of some never ceases to amaze me.

I know this one guy who is stuck in a time warp of Bob Dylan and other music from that era ; anything after the 1960's is to him a big waste of time. Paul Simon once said that every generation throws a hero up the popcharts, which is quite true but it does seem to me that these 'hero's' today are based on looks rather than the music they produce.

Anyway, after much babble, I think everybody should be cultured when it comes to music.

To me, a perfect cocktail of 2Pac, Fatboy Slim, Hans Zimmer, Don Henley, Cheesy 80's hits, Rolling Stones and computerized shit is good enough for anybody. Oh, and Al Stewart. Who is, in fact, no relation to Jimmy Swaggart ... honestly

• berylblue
    berylblue

Hamas, love you, dear.

Do you have actual song titles for me? I really would like to know.

Isn't Hans Zimmer the man who does scores for movies?

• Hamas
    Hamas

I love you too, darlin..

You're right, Hans Zimmer does compose movie scores. I'm not a big fan of the movies, although I do like a real good one... Zimmer's class shines through. He produced the score to Gladiator and Black Hawk Down.

If you are interested, I posted this in another thread but a fine example of his work is available online.

www.escapethewatchtower.com/J'attends.mp3

2Pac's work is amazing, the guy is a legend. He was a fantastic storyteller; and unlike most wannabee bad boy rappers today he lived the life of one. Most rap today is crap, but 2Pac set a standard that nobody has ever matched, nor ever will. They may try; but he introduced it, so it has all been done. Some of his greatest tunes, Dear Mama, Hit em up, Thug Passion, Changes, the list goes on. I introduced my mother to this music; at first, like most people, she discarded it as she is in the 'older generation' . However, when music is involved, you cannot be bias as regards race, age or gender. So many people fall into this trap. When you open your mind, you can enjoy all music. It is for this reason that I now catch her playing it at high volume !

Fatboy Slim is an amazingly gifted person. Like most forms of art, it is ugly to most, but great to some. Gangsta trippin is his greatest creation !

Don Henley, Boys of Summer another fantastic track.

I could name so many more ; old and new. I can't live without music, to me its one of the most important things in this world, ahead of sex. Indeed.

• berylblue
    berylblue

Thanks, Hamas. I can not live without music either. Over the years, I have found I can gauge my mood by whether or not or how much I go around work and the house singing. I sing everywhere; even in public. It's unconscious; my daughters always nagged me about it.

• Hamas
    Hamas

Sing to me anytime hun

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Would you two like to be alone?

• berylblue
    berylblue

I know, I can get pretty effusive at times, drwtsn. I just really really like Hamas.

You're right, we need to "take it to a motel" so to speak.

Off list from now on, huh Hamas babe?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

hehe... I was just giving you guys a hard time. Carry on!

• Englishman
    Englishman

Matty Groves - Fairport Convention.

The Soldier - Harvey Andrews.

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen.

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit