Do You Get Easily Offended By What People Do or Don’t Do?

by minimus 56 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

You're "Offended" ? Nobody dies themselves from being offended. Go, home, grow up, and get over it.

I find some views offensive in the sense that they should never be expressed, like Racist or Misogynistic and Homophobic views, but I don't have a hissy fit and get my underpants in a bunch about it.

I just loudly expose where such views are wrong. If it is practical and sensible to do so, some people you cannot have a discussion with, so sod them, they can go stew in their Hate.

• mikronboy
    mikronboy

Oh dear. Whenever I host a dinner party I fly the flag of the appropriate country from where the original dish came from. This summer I'm cooking Louisianna Gumbo..

• minimus
    minimus

So you were going to fly the American flag

• LittleJerry
    LittleJerry

Nah, I'm not offended by Aunt Jemima. Who doesn't like a plump, subservient Mammy black woman? Am I right, wink, wink? And I sure don't care if it makes black women feel 'other' and inferior. Deal with it! As long as I'm good, I don't give a crap. I mean, I wouldn't be offended if I got dragged to Africa as a slave and they had a brand of Aunt Whitey food. I'd feel really really good about it!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LITTLE JERRY:

I see what you are getting at but tell me: whose picture should be on the package? ..Should it be a little blonde girl with pig tails?

Also, what about other pictures on other merchandise? Just WHOSE pictures should be on everything? Or, just to satisfy everybody should there NEVER be a depiction of any human being on anything?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

LongHairGal:

I see what you are getting at but tell me: whose picture should be on the package? ..Should it be a little blonde girl with pig tails?

Also, what about other pictures on other merchandise? Just WHOSE pictures should be on everything? Or, just to satisfy everybody should there NEVER be a depiction of any human being on anything?

With some irony, this would appear to be a case of black-and-white thinking, with just a hint of reductio ad absurdum. (I do hope that it's not really that hard to work out that you can have pictures of black people on things that don't have connotations of slavery involved.)

• minimus
    minimus

Jeffro is happy the woke culture got rid of Aunt Jemima. I never looked at syrup and thought of slavery but I’m not woke either.

• Brock Talon
    Brock Talon

I find this offensive. It stereotypes bald men with white eyebrows who wear earrings.

• Brock Talon
    Brock Talon

I find this offensive. Quakers do NOT look like that today. This is stereotypical hogwash and clearly anti-Quaker! I should know, some of my best friends are Quakers!

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

minimus:

Jeffro is happy the woke culture got rid of Aunt Jemima. I never looked at syrup and thought of slavery but I’m not woke either.

There you go deciding what I think again. 🤣 I’m not aware that the product range in question has ever been available in my country, so it doesn’t affect me in any way. Though I’m not convinced that the branding of food products actually affects you in any real way either. You’re just whinging about trivial nonsense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit