How long is a generation?

by LevelThePlayingField 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

It's a spoof on WT changing speculations. Not sure where I picked it up.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

How long is a generation? - 104 years this October XD

But, seriously, a generation lasts roughly 25 years.

This can be seen as a very rough average for when women have their first babies.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    Back in the day it was reckoned to be 70 years. It was unofficially promulgated in the 50's that that is where George Orwell got his idea for 1984. 1914 plus 1 generation = 1984.
  • NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    So does this actually make any sense?

Of course, it does not make any sense. Most of the R&F have no idea what it means, let alone, actually willing to defend or explain.

That is the genius of this new light. Trying to make sense creates no value. And if they need to adjust the meaning in 10 or 15 years, all will be forgotten.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

My two cents on possible future new light, when Armageddon obviously failed to materialize within the overlapping generation:

In Mat. 24 Jesus first mentions 'this generation'. He continues to say that those days will be like the days of Noah.

The myth of Noah claims Noah was 600 years old when the Flood came. Or in other words, 'the days of Noah' - Noah's generation - were about 600 years long.

Clearly Jesus referred to Noah's 600 year long days to indicate that 'this generation' could last a couple of hundred years. Still within a single 'day' for Jehovah, right?

Now I think my idea makes a lot more sense than the current convoluted Splanation. I don't believe either one though :-D

New light like that would buy the GB quite some time. 2514 here we come!

• James Jack
    James Jack

"Millions Now Living, Will Never Die"

This was proclaimed by J Rutherford to an Audience in 1919. Everyone there understood this Proclamation was to be fulfilled during their "Generation". Oops, all dead now!

• Saename
    Saename
    (Exodus 1:6) 6 Eventually Joseph died, and also all his brothers and all that generation.

I've had Jehovah's Witnesses use this verse to demonstrate that the Bible talks about the overlapping generation. They argue this based on "context."

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    (Exodus 1:6) 6 Eventually Joseph died, and also all his brothers and all that generation.

We can also apply this to the JW idea of the anointed generation:

Eventually F.W. Franz died, and also all his 'anointed' brothers and all that 'overlapping generation'. But fuck! Still no Armageddon :-(
  • Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

I noticed that Splane when he was attempting to splane things kept using the phrases like, we just don't know-for the sake of argument- and suppose. I don't know about others but I sure as the sun coming up n the East will not base any amount of belief in a argument based on supposition and we just don't know!

If Splane was giving testimony in a court room and kept making the 'suppose' and 'for the sake of' arguments, the presiding judge would warn him to speak only the facts. After a couple of warnings he would be charged with contempt of court. Any testimony he gave would be ignored as valueless and he would be labeled as a witness lacking credibility. If not ushered out the front door he would be removed, in handcuffs, out the back door.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

However the G. B. and their Writing Committee wriggle about the "generation "prophecy""** , the point is that their start date for their fantastical calculations and ramblings, 1914, is totally and completely NONSENSE.

** I put the word prophecy in double parenthesis because of course, the words supposedly uttered by Jesus were written way after his lifetime, and then were proven to be untrue. The generation he was addressing all died, and nothing happened.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit