Gangs of New York

by Maverick 25 Replies latest social entertainment

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I Thought it was good because it highlighted a part of history few people know about. My mom kept saying, "did that really happen??"

However, I thought it was pretty sensationalist, as far as the gore. I like Scorsese, but this was a tidious movie. Yeah it had scope, something missing in a lot of movies of late, but I dunno--I don't the script made me care about the characters. I thought Cameron Diaz was a horrible bit of casting. This movie was just totally average in my book.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

It was a very well done film but it's not something I ever want to see again. I too felt like the story was hyped up (oversensationalized) but the acting was first rate particularly by Daniel Day Lewis. I don't usually care for Scorcese films because he is usually over the top on blood and violence.

If you want an interesting comparison, check out "The Age of Innocence". It came out about 10 years ago, and it is also by Scorcese. It takes place in 1870s New York but it is an adaption of Edith Wharton's novel of the upper class.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

In my opinion, one sloppily put together film about the scum of the earth fighting the worse scum of the earth. Not worth a rental, although I agree with Big Tex that Daniel Day Lewis was superb as Bill the Butcher.

I can highly recommend a new independent film called "Dirty Pretty Things." A truly enjoyable, suspenseful, well told story. Also, "American Splendor."

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Thanks Mega. If you're into out of the way films, there was a little film called "The Sunshine State". Very well done.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Yes, thank all of you for your imput. There are no wrong or incorrect comments here. I wanted to get some outside opinions. Maverick

• Lutece
    Lutece

I wasn't crazy about it, especially the gore, but I've seen worse this summer.

Punch Drunk Love was abolutely horrible. Don't do it!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I didn't care much for GoNY either. Only Daniel Day Lewis saved it from being a complete stinker. DiCaprio was poorly cast in his role, IMHO. Cameron Diaz was strictly eye candy, the incredible babe for the requisite makeout-with-Dicaprio scene.

• adrift
    adrift

I fell asleep while watching it and didn't bother to see the rest. It was just too dark. I am also not fond of that baby faced DiCaprio kid. He is not leading man material in my book.

Did you see the documentary on the history behind the movie, that came with the DVD? I was only able to watch part of it, but thought what I saw was fascinating. I would recommend that. I would like to rent the DVD again to see the rest of it.

• heathen
    heathen

I rented it last week myself , I thought it was ok for a rental and glad I didn't see it in the theatre . I can't see how it gets all those nominations and best picture .

• rem
    rem

Hated it.

rem

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit