Gangs of New York

by Maverick 25 Replies latest social entertainment

• wasasister
    wasasister

Rented the DVD. Could not get through the first disk. Life's too short.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I thought it should have won the Oscar for best picture.

It was an ugly film but it portrayed people in a true light without glorifying and glamorizing the civil war times and how people survived through the worst of prejudices. It was brilliant and it took a lot of cohonies for Martin to direct it. Brutal truth is not pretty and pleasant.

• rem
    rem
    portrayed people in a true light without glorifying and glamorizing the civil war times and how people survived through the worst of prejudices.

I didn't see it that way. What I remember thinking after leaving the theater was "gratuitous violence". It seemed very exaggerated to me. I sincerely doubt the historical integrity of the film. Yes the events probably took place, but probably not as ridiculously violent as portrayed. Of course, a lot of action was condensed in the film, so a false impression of the historical events is easy to come away with. I think a better job could have been done balancing it out to make it more realistic.

rem

• gumby
    gumby

I am glad I read this thread.

Over the weekend while camping, I was told I "just had to see the movie" ......they went on and on how great it was. Thanks for the tips. It doesn't sound like something I would like.

Gumby

• Panda
    Panda

Check an earlier thread about this film from folks who appreciated it's reality.[post:667305]

The Five Points in NewYork were brutal and filthy. The film, rather than exaggerating deemphasized the true violent reality. The riot happened. The military did just what you saw them doing. The gangs were real. Even many of the main characters (not DiCaprio) were real living scum buckets. Even the firemen clubs were real. There's plenty of history written about the 19th century in NewYork.

Plmkzy : I am so in agreement with you. This film and Daniel Day Lewis should have won academy awards. I mean this guy never got out of character.

Many murders went unsolved because no one cared about the poor. Prostitution was something most women did to make enough money to eat. Many women were abandoned with children. Many children were abandoned by parents. This is what the good old days were really all about.

An excellent novel (Written by a historian) is "the Alienist" give it a try.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/27/43151/602132/post.ashx#602132

don't forget this one. Some good response both pro and con about the movie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit