What Makes A Person Black?

by Englishman 51 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

"One Drop of Blood" by Lawrence Wright 8-3-94

Some issues facing mulitracial people.

http://www.afn.org/~dks/race/wright.html

Graham went on to say, "I could not make a race choice from the basic categories when I enrolled my son in kindergarten in Georgia. The only choice I had, like most other parents of multiracial children, was to leave race blank. I later found that my child's teacher was instructed to choose for him based on her knowledge and observation of my child. Ironically, my child has been white on the United States census, black at school, and multiracial at home--all at the same time."
    Until recently, people like Daniel were identified simply as black because of a peculiarly American institution known informally as "the one-drop rule," which defines as black a person with as little as a single drop of "black blood." This notion derives from a long discredited belief that each race had its own blood type, which was correlated with physical appearance and social behavior. The antebellum South promoted the rule as a way of enlarging the slave population with the children of slave holders. By the nineteen-twenties, in Jim Crow America the one- drop rule was well established as the law of the land. It still is, according to a United States Supreme Court decision as late as 1986, which refused to review a lower court's ruling that a Louisiana woman whose great-great-great-great-grandmother had been the mistress of a French planter was black--even though that proportion of her ancestry amounted to no more than three thirty- seconds of her genetic heritage. "We are the only country in the world that applies the one-drop rule, and the only group that the one-drop rule applies to is people of African descent," Daniel observes.
  • frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Ok, you still want to talk about this … Well

people do consider themselves as black if their parents told them so

people do feel themselves as black if anybody told them they are black (most of time because of their skin colour)

people do want to be black if they feel like one of the black culture fit them well

And so goes for other races (colour)

What’s the black features … Well if you really check the whole black coloured types of tribes … You’ll find out that their are so much that you can’t really define a stereotype of black feature (some blacks got so called white or asian features – African or not, just like some white people got so called black and asian features … Why … Well you know why … we are probably all cousins …)

What I’ve really realised it that there are a lot of people from different colours who really look the same !!! Just change his - color put nappy or straight hair – or just change rond eyes and change them with asian eyes - or just one or two thing … and here you’ve got an other race … BUT the same face !!!

Define someone’s race on his colour is blind concept, it depend on who wants to define it, and why he wants to define it …

• Francois
    Francois

I think it's got to do with a combination of fried chicken (wid jalapeno peppers on the side) and watermellon if you love that, you be black. AND, if you love a woman who loves that and she's black of course, then you are an honorary black. Say I love Orbiting the Sun, then I'm an honorary black, but I gotta love fried chicken and all the rest, too, see? It's simple once you understand it. And you ain't gotta be from no Africa neither.

Frank

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

This thread is funny. . .

• logansrun
    logansrun

You know, we're really all Africans if you go far back enough.

Bradley

• Ariell
    Ariell

You white people are sooooooo funny. You have NO clue.

But don't fret. Ariell is here to set the record straight.

Caucasians are white. African Americans are black. Indians are red. Asians are yellow. Mexicans are brown. Although the latter three aren't referred to as such on a regular basis as whites and blacks are. Perhaps there's a reason for that. There's this thing called a race spectrum scale. Whites are clearly at the top while blacks are way way down at the bottom. Everyone else just falls in between.

No one outside the African or Aboriginal race is considered to be black. As someone mentioned earlier, there's a one drop blood rule that applies to blacks. It goes back to slavery. Even if only your great, great, great, great, great grandmother was black, you're still considered to be black. But if one of a "white" person's grandparents was indian, they're almost always considered white. Does Walker, The Texas Ranger ring a bell? So that's what determines if you're black or not, your ancestory, and not this cultural nonsense you guys have been babbling about.

• CruithneLaLuna
    CruithneLaLuna

I think you pegged it. Accurate and well-stated.

:) Cruithne

• jwbot
    jwbot

Race is a myth

that is all. ;)

• yxl1
    yxl1

Some of the posts on this thread really got under my skin. Agreed with Ariell though. Probably best if I dont comment on some of the others.

• nilfun
    nilfun
    Does Walker, The Texas Ranger ring a bell?

Ugh, I hate that show.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit