Guess what I just did

by ignorance is strength 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• ignorance is strength
    ignorance is strength

Well, I told my parent that I didn't want to be a JW (having not gone to meetings for many years) and it went pretty well. I even disproved watchtower doctrines, but of course I was the one who was mistaken.

I aslo said that I would be going to other churches... I didn't specify because I didn't want to see the reaction to CAtholic. I also signed up to start the process to become catholic (unlike the JW's you can just learn about the faith without any obligation or harrassment) I went down to St. Francis de Sales Church and I signed up for the RCIA program. Very, very nice people in the parish office. I AM TRULY FREE.

Now I am thinking that I should write the society and disassociate myself with it (even though I was an "unbaptized publisher" when I was young) and ask for any records that they have on me back (if they have any). Suggestions on writing it or reasons why not to?

THANKs

• Brummie
    Brummie

I applaud you for taking back your rights to do what you want to do and for standing up for what you believe is right.

Well done.

Brummie

• Valis
    Valis

iis...also, try the Unitarians if there is a church around.....

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Welcome to the board, I I S,

Always nice to see another Canadian on the board. It takes a lot of courage to leave the JWs. I hope your parents aren't too tough on you.

Check your PM.

cm

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

good for you!

"Now I am thinking that I should write the society and disassociate myself with it (even though I was an "unbaptized publisher" when I was young) and ask for any records that they have on me back (if they have any). " Why bother. It is their rules to their game, who cares but them. Don't play their game, you're free.

Hugs,

j2bf

• Joker10
    Joker10

You want to be catholic? I hope you also find many truths to this one.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

congrats!

I married a Catholic almost 7 yrs ago, and went thru RCIA last year to be baptized so we could be married in the church(to keep the in-laws off our backs) and I found out I really liked it. I got very ill and the priest came out and gave me an emergency baptism and last rites and a healing service. wonderful people. I wrote my JW father about how sick I was and all he could say was that I was going to die for sure because I let the Catholics try to heal me. well guess what? I got better and I still consider myself Catholic.

Ravyn

• Scully
    Scully

Well if you are not baptized, the only records they will have on you are your service reports.

Since you did not officially "join" by getting baptized, you are one of the very lucky (erm.... fortunate!) people who gets to simply leave without too much fuss.

I wouldn't bother writing any letters to them. Letters are "evidence". Letters can be used to claim that you "acknowledge" some kind of "authority" that the WTS has over you. Since you are unbaptized, then technically, their authority over you is an extension of your parents' authority. Writing such a letter can also result in the elders putting pressure on your family to kick you out of the house, especially if you have younger siblings who might be "influenced" by your presence at home. Of course, the elders will say that it is necessary because you pose a threat to the spirituality of your family. Unless you are in a position to support yourself, or move in with relatives or friends who can help you if this does happen, it's in your best interests to maintain a low profile, despite how tempting it would be to put everything you think and feel into writing.

Good luck.

Love, Scully

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

You're quite lucky IIS, I got a threat to be kicked out of the house when I was 16, so I had to go along with it until I was 18 1/2.

Scully is right, keep a low profile while you're living at home. I know for damn sure that when I get out (next month), I'll be writing the society for some "information" LOL!

• Swan
    Swan

I agree with Scully. You were never baptized. Just walk away.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit