Nosferatu

Trekkies. Need I say more?

• integ
    integ

yes

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Room,

Wednesday, I think you hit the nail on the head. There seems to be a disproportionate number of hypochondriacs and food faddists among JWs, not to mention devotees of alternative medicine. I think this latter is a vestiage of the Rutherford days/Woodworth days of the 30s with their crackpot notions and anti-AMA bias. It recalls to mind my experience at Bethel in the sixites, whenI was sent up to do work on Knorr's apartment, and saw on his bedstand a book on Laetrile treatment for cancer--well before it became generally known that he was afflicted with the illness which eventually killed him.

It also seems to me that it's a rare Circuit Overseer's wife that doesn't have a list of exotic allergies, ailments, long lists of food restrictions, etc., etc.

I have long thought that those most attracted to the WTS way of life have mental problems that predispose them to the kinds of things mentioned above. Man, let's do some clinical research.

I've noticed many JW's have a propensity to knock on doors real lightly...a feather touch.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

They love rules... they come up with countless rules to either justify something or condemn it.

They have countless rules to help them count time in FS... at exactly what point they can start counting time, how long they can take a break before they stop counting time. They will stretch these rules to the limit to squeeze out as much time as possible while doing the least possible amount of actual work.

They have countless rules as to what constitutes "blood" and "blood components" and "blood fractions"... which ones are permitted and which ones are not. They will stretch rules to the limit to avoid hole blood, but will stretch rules to the limit to allow as many blood fractions as possible.

They have countless rules about what attire is "appropriate" for attendance at the KH, and a more stringent set of rules for what can be worn on stage... then there are rules about what is appropriate for a JW to wear at a JW gathering (party), the memorial, assemblies... and a different set of rules for attendants and people working in the back and people doing administration.

They have rules about what kind of car you should own... they have rules for what kind of job you can have and what kind of education (if any) you can have.

They have rules about what you can and cannot read and study. They have rules about what kind of sex you can have, with whom and how.

And if you defy the explicit instructions of an elder regarding any rule, you can be DFed and shunned by everyone you know including your family.

• wednesday
    wednesday

Right on Elsewhere. And if u don't "get it" that a "suggestion" from the FDS is really a rule, u are one dumb JW.

• Swan
    Swan

At the post office they insist on buying stamps without any flags. They won't lick envelopes because they think the glue may have blood in it. They sued the state of Vermont (or was it New Hamphire) over the slogan on their license plate "Live Free or Die."

• minimus
    minimus

The UNWRITTEN rules are the worst ones. (I HATE unwritten rules)!

• Betsy
    Betsy

They believe anything they read in the paper/see on the news as long as it supports one of their beliefs, otherwise the writer, etc is "lying" or "twisting the truth".

Betsy

• minimus
    minimus

JW's refuse to celebrate holidays but will eat turkey on Thanksgiving. They will celebrate "Family Day" on Christmas. They won't celebrate birthdays but will give gifts the day before or after. They won't wear a "pagan" cross but will wear a "pagan" wedding band. They won't throw rice at a wedding but they will wear a veil. They won't eat Easter eggs but they will eat Chocolate Easter Cadbury Eggs.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

Oh, wait, what's this: They sued the state of Vermont (or was it New Hamphire) over the slogan on their license plate "Live Free or Die." That sounds like a marvelous story--where can I find it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit