As a YOUNG loyal JW, did you think you would see you're 60th birthday ?

by run dont walk 31 Replies latest jw friends

• ignorance is strength
    ignorance is strength

I'd always found that the elderly were more certain that the end was right around the corner and there was no use planning for your future but the younger generation has smartened up. I'd personally never believed that Armageddon was right around the corner and thought that I'd live till 80 and the I'd die. But apparently modern science can have us living till 125 when we're old.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Well... being as how I didn't celebrate birthdays... no, I guess not.

But I think the question means, would I be an OLD 60? No, I didn't think so. I thought it would be here by 2000 at the latest. Wow, now I'm 25.

Now, if I make it to 60, I'm going to be blind drunk and buried up to the neck in sweet poontang - so no, technically I won't SEE my 60th birthday.

CZAR

• fairy
    fairy

I didnt think i would get through highschool!

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

I'm still not so sure

• La Capra
    La Capra

That was my problem. I couldn't see it as just around the next bend. I knew I needed an education, and not some trade, to be able to support myself. I got so much initial flak and rejection from the congregation during my first year at the university, that I started my second one out of the organization. I got more love, affection and acceptance from classmates that barely knew me than those who had known me since I was a babe. Fast forward 15 years. I'm still here, and I still need to support myself. I have a nice job, with a nice salary, and enough to enjoy myself, or go to law school... one of the two...I wouldn't have a nice home and financial security if I wasn't willing to admit to myself that armegeddon wasn't just around the next bend. Thank goodness I checked a road map before I bought that load of crap. And those out in service now are gleefully announcing the change in the generation doctrine, as though that makes it all better now, and see, it's okay to plan for the future now. Well, if I had waited for that, I'd be destitute right now (or married to an idgit I couldn't stand). Shoshana

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Make 60 in this system, you kidding? Of course not, armageddon was coming before I was 16, (1976) I'd never leave school in this system (finished first lot of college 1980). OK so I left school but I wouldn't get married (did in 1984) or have kids (did 1988) or wouldn't settle in another country (1995) or face the Y2K problem (worked on it 1997-1999).

In the period since I gave up on God's Watchtower promises I have gotten divorced and re-married. My son is a high school sophomore and that means 3 years left until college. In the time since 1975 I have owned 13 cars, owned 3 homes lived in 2 countries worked in 5 more. I have worked for 5 different organizations and have had at least 10 different positions. Life goes on and I have few regrets despite the tunnel vision of a JW life.

I keep meaning to ask my parents (loyal JWs) how they respond to the person in field service, who after hearing the JW "good news" says, "never in my life time!" My parents have racked up 46 years as JWs in their lifetime and my dad is well past 70. Sadly, he will die in this system having never gotten the reward he has lived for.

Thirdson

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

congrats thirdson, your next post is 1000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• obiwan
    obiwan

60! Shoot, I wasn't even thinking about that. I was just hoping the system would last long enough for me to get marrried and finally get some!

• JH
    JH

When I joined in 1987 at age 27, just about everybody was pioneering,expecting the end anyday, and many had in mind that the end would be before 1990, and at the latest 1994, but never as far as the year 2000.

I joined at 27 and never expected to reach 40 in this system.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Of course not , Not in this system .. "It just could not last much longer, could it ?" and they still say that today,

If I had believed it I would have been tempted to play around first and come back to the Org later on, but no I was always thinking it was "just around the corner " . Just as they did in the 1920's , 1930's , 40's etc etc. The carrot was always held up just in front of donkeys like us - and we fell for it !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit