As a YOUNG loyal JW, did you think you would see you're 60th birthday ?

by run dont walk 31 Replies latest jw friends

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

With all the talk in the organization about the end being so close, and we have all heard this story over and over again for years, as a YOUNG/LOYAL JW, did you think you would see your 60th birthday.

If we were to walk into the Kingdom Hall today and poll all the JW's under 30, and ask them "will you see your 60th birthday", what kind of response would you get ???

Armageddon is not coming, the year 2014 will pass, as will 2025, 2075, 2100, and even 3000.

Would love to hear experiences from some of the older ones on this board, who probaly thought the same thing when they were young.

• undercover
    undercover

Of course I believed I would see 60. And 160, and 260, and 360 etc.

Seriously though, it was ingrained in my head that this system would not go on long enough for me to need a retirement fund. I didn't care about owning a house or building up credit. It would not matter at Armageddon. But now my life is half over and nothing predicted has happened.

It was the same for my parents generation and my grandparents generation. My grandparents are dead and my parents are working though they should retire because they didn't have a very good retirement plan. Guess why they didn't plan on retiring?

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Hell, when I was young, I didn't think I'd see 1990. After that, I didn't think I'd see 2000.

If you went up to anyone at KH and asked them if they'd see their 60th birthday, you'd get 1 of 2 answers:
    1) I don't celebrate birthdays
    2) No, the end of this system of things is very close.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Wait, I take #2 back. Wait a minute.... Is that a trick question? They'll see their 60th birthday regardless of whether Armageddon come or not! Run Don't Walk, you're screwing with my mind!!!

• gumby
    gumby

The first thing I saw when I came out of my moms womb was her handing me the latest issues of the watchtower and awake.......so I can go back aways.

I was told not to worry about going to school because the end would be here,

then I remeber me telling my daughter she would never have to worry about school either.......she was born in 74'

then I remember my daughter saying she would have kids in the new system......she has two now,

she told her kids the same thing........they are now in 3rd and 5th grade.

Gumby

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

No I did not think I would see my 60th birthday -- now I truly hope I do as I want to be around in October 2014 -- see other threads on this (Gentile Times Reconsidered and COC opened my mind)

• freedom96
    freedom96

Deep down inside, I always figured that I would see myself get old.

But, there was always the underlining fear that I would get screwed out of this life and the end would come before I could have any fun.

• run dont walk
    run dont walk
    The first thing I saw when I came out of my moms womb was her handing me the latest issues of the watchtower and awake.......so I can go back aways.

now that was funny !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a good laugh, thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• maxwell
    maxwell

No, I didn't think I would see it in "this system of things." At least that is the way I thought before they changed the generation doctrine. After they changed that, and while I was still believing everything they said, I thought well I might die in this "system of things", so I'll make sure to prepare for being old in this system, but I'll still serve Jehovah. Strangely, I remember the summer before my first year in high school, that I was secretly hoping that Armageddon would NOT come before the end of the summer so that I would get a chance to see what the BIG high school was all about. My father has told me that he didn't think my siblings and I would become adults in "this system of things."

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

My son, born in January of 1967, would never go to school in this old system, or at least that's what we were told and his mother and I bought into this stupidity. He now has a Masters Degree in English. Go figure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit