What Do You Do if the Household Does Not Celebrate?

by BluesBrother 22 Replies latest jw friends

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

To be honest, even though I've been out for nearly 5 years now, and have no desire to go back. I am so thankful to the Wt for their stance on Christmas. I really just can' be bothered with the nonsence.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

The oldest children are celebrating with their spouses, the youngest still at home with us. We are in no man's land. We're not longer considered JWs (I'm now officially inactive) but neither can I suddenly start celebrating something I never have in my 60+ years.

Through my work - in online retail - I have seen these past few weeks, people behaving despicably to my colleagues. Goodwill to all men was certainly thrown out of the window! Rudeness beyond compare, all because a delivery was a day late or something else quite trivial. If this is the Xmas spirit, they can keep it. It turns people into monsters because they are under so much pressure to put on the perfect Christmas day.

But it still feel immensely lonely because we now don't belong anywhere. We're just waiting for the day to be over so we can go back to work, because work is all we have now.

The only bright spot was, for the first time I bought my children and husband some gifts. I thoroughly enjoyed choosing just the right gift for each of them and felt so much satisfaction watching them open them up. There truly is more joy in giving than receiving.

• tiki
    tiki

Well...I am here...on my couch...watching the snow sift down and wondering if I'll be able to get a vehicle out to get to work tomorrow. Invited to family Christmas but doubt I'll get there....I think the whole thing is way over rated. Bah humbug.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

@Phoebe,

Yes, many of us experience what second generation immigrants experience as well: we are no longer accepted by our heritage culture (nor do we want to accept all of that culture), but we don't fit in our new culture either. We're in limbo.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

@Anders Andersen

I agree. There's a feeling of not belonging anywhere. Limbo describes it perfectly.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Thanks for all the responses.. it is indeed a strange day. I loved the post by 'Good JW' on page 1...yes it could be worse. I hope that things went well .

In fact, as evening approaches & the day has past .... it was bearable with some computer stuff and some things to do.

Best wishes to all

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

If your not doing anything with JWS family which is possible , take this day as a relaxation day, put your feet up, make yourself a good meal and enjoy.

....... or go out for dinner and go see a movie.

enjoy the day if you will which is still possible.

• AverageJoe1
    AverageJoe1

At least there’s a new Dr Who on TV! Something to watch amidst all the crap on TV.

• label licker
    label licker

Sunny over here in Kingston, On. Going for a hike in our bush and see if we can spot any wild life. Now that I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Could be worse, I guess.

Just kicked my billiary cancer and after recovery I get hit with this. I felt better when I had the cancer. At least with fibromyalgia it forces you to try an exercise. I use to walk one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening. Tried to yesterday and coming back, I didn't think I was going to make it home. Having to change over to a more restrictive diet as well. But nothing is more hurtful than this time of year. The sound of silence and no family. Just hubby an I.

Wishing all of you a better year ahead

xxoo

• compound complex
    compound complex

Yes, no man's land.

Wishing all of you well, while I digest everything I have just now read on BB's thread. It surely helps reading about how you manage.

I'm sitting a beautiful home -- quite alone -- while friends, clients, family celebrate Christmas well out of my proximity. I had a lovely dinner with a friend last night, and we exchanged gifts. Nice. Today, I am away from the din of my "boarding house," where I rent a room. Sometimes I want company, sometimes I want to be alone, here at my DELL laptop. Normal feelings, I imagine.

Well, Merry Christmas! Anyone doing Boxing Day? Just read up on it now and the stoning of St. Stephen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit