What Do You Do if the Household Does Not Celebrate?

by BluesBrother 22 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It is Christmas morning ....The weather outside looks cold grey and dismal (typical Britain in winter ) the house is quiet as my wife gets on with something. .... The street is silent, as dead as the grave.

The TV is full of the purile nonsense that fills airtime this time of year . The media tries hard to convince that everyone else is having a wondering time. I wonder?

The day stretches before me an emty chasm of nothingness. If I were to involve myself in other's Christmas, i.e. charities. ...it is not worth a divorce...

So we do the best with the day . I am sure I cannot be the only poster alone in his family where they all have a smug aloofness and antipathy to "the day"

It is off my chest now . Thanks for providing an opportunity to speak.

• Miss Worldly
    Miss Worldly

Bluesbrother i am sure you are not the only person who struggles with the silence of today. It's hard, I know, the silence is deafening.

If I maybe so bold, I wish you a merry Christmas and a peaceful day.

Miss W.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I used to feel like that but within a household celebrating xmas. I hated it so when JWs came knocking no longer being forced to endure it was a bonus.

Now out and atheist it has no religious meaning at all and I give all the outward appearance of celebrating but inside its just another day with a bigger meal and more alcohol and more vegging out.

You can do Xmas in your head however way you want and create a place in your mind where everyone you love celebrates and you get all the presents you want. No financial limits either.

If you need to chat feel free to send me a message. X

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

No, you're not alone.

Here in the Netherlands we have the same grey and shitty weather

My pimi wife is still sleeping. My daughter and I have been up for 2,5 hours now. Drawing. Making puzzles. Cooking stuff in her tiny wooden kitchen.

At least when I was still a JW we would go to friends or have them over for a nice dinner, some movies, or playing some board games.

But now that I'm an apostate the JW don't want me at their treeless Christmas get-togethers

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

yes a very dismal day outside.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Slyly put some smoked salmon in your scrambled eggs. It's usually only done on Christmas day. It's guaranteed to make any ex feel deliciously naughty.

• zeb
    zeb

Our weather is glorious. 26deg and cool southerly breezes. The beach is loaded with all manner of humanity some of who are very easy on the eye. Frizbees are being thrown, beach volleyball is about to start, the coffee shop is doing a roaring trade and families are out enjoying themselves and I am among them. I did a long coastal walk and came home to misery castle feeling quite refreshed. Yep not having Christmas is such a joy for the jw; she squats away behind all her tablet. books, wt et al and is so 'built up'..

Would she go out if I asked? The reply is already in the pipe "No I have too much to do"..

Well my Christmas day or 25th was made pleasant by the mixing with normal people who I am sure have all the ups and downs of life but choose to get out and have a break for a time. I left each one I spoke too a little lifted for the exchange.

Cheers, Live long and prosper in peace.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Hi Blues Brother, the festive season? The Mass of Christ (Christ mass day) has long ceased to be regarded as a holy day (holiday) for the vast majority of people around the earth who "celebrate" it. http://www.antipas.org/books/xmas/xmas2.html

How many individuals will actually mention the name "Jesus Christ" as they enjoy copious amounts of food and drink and get involved in the regulatory exchange of consumer products? It's become nothing more than a money-making "tradition" which many businesses depend on for their annual profit margins. Aren't you glad to be out of it? However, I don't want to dampen the joyous feelings of people on one of the rare days designed for happiness, gift-giving, and family get-togethers. Have a great time everybody.

• Good JW
    Good JW

BluesBrother, you have my sympathies!

Although, it could be worse, you could have a "worldly wife" with the extended "worldly family" all coming round for the Christmas meal, a JW blood family (so no close family on my side)...and have to cater for the in-laws who hate each other - all together on a tense day pretending to be happy (i.e. awkward silences, one drunken stepfather whom you literally exchanged fists with one New Year).

Think I'll get the TV schedule ready and pray that nobody strangles anyone :)

Sincerely, from the Highlands in Scotland

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

well--ive been up since 6. drove my wife to work---a 13 hour shift in charge of a care home. but tomorrow we are off to England to stay with my son ( d/f ) and family. he loves christmas--goes overboard big time. he is doing so well in life since he severed the link to the cult. they recently enjoyed a holiday in the Maldives......

Image may contain: ocean, sky, tree, outdoor, nature and water

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit