RIP Anthony Bourdain

by freemindfade 21 Replies latest social entertainment

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

So sad to hear about the loss of one of the best storytellers. Such a great unique personality. He will be greatly missed

• humbled
    humbled

NOOOOOOO!!!

l love Anthony Bourdain. Noooo. He cannot die before l do.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I'll be honest and say that I don't really know who he was. I've heard of him, but never experienced what he put out into the world.

It just goes to show though that happiness is an inside game. You can't get it from money, or experiences or anyone else. It's something you have to find within.

RIP Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade too. Sorry life on this planet wasn't bearable for you.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Who would have thunk it that a cooking guy could be so cool and interesting?

RIP Tony!

just saying!

• Simon
    Simon

His travel shows were really interesting and informative and gave a glimpse of the real-life in many places. It's the only programme that I missed watching from CNN.

You never know what's really going on inside someone's head or what challenges they are battling.

Sad news.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I first came to know Chef Bourdain when he wrote Kitchen Confidential it was about all the stuff back in the kitchen that you wouldn't want to see or taste.

Here is a review of the book that launched Bourdain.

Take one New York chef, add drugs, brandy and blood and you have a cooking classic. Jay Rayner on Anthony Bourdain's recipe for a good read, Kitchen Confidential.

In one sequence, Bourdain describes how he and his sous-chefs, strung out on a rich stew of dope, amphetamines and overwork, would re-enact the opening sequences of the movie Apocalypse Now as an overture to the evening service. As a finale, they would recreate the napalm blast by emptying half a pint of brandy over the range so that it would ignite, sending a sheet of flame powering through the kitchen. They were, he says, happy days. Eventually, the restaurant went bust.
    Most of the restaurants where Bourdain served went bust. It is that litany of failure which distinguishes this book. Although he is now an established figure in New York, executive chef at Brasserie Les Halles, a faux French joint serving up brasserie staples, for most of his career he was just a jobbing guy with his knives and his moves and his tricks with demi-glace who tumbled from kitchen to kitchen, rubbing shoulders as often with the Mob as with the suburban dentists turned ill-fated restaurateurs, on a picaresque adventure to put Don Quixote to shame. He was never one of the generals with his daytime TV slot and his name stitched carefully across the breast of his whites. Mind you, the heroin addiction probably had something to do with that.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5768066706178048/rip-anthony-bourdain

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Sorry to hear it. He never held my interest, always struck me as and elitist. Anyone's death who was struggling with mental health issues is tragic. Get help people.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Extremely sad ... Extremely sad

My wife and I really liked his travel shows, his writing and insight into travel, cooking, visiting different cultures, etc.

We felt like it was a kick in the gut ... or worse.

So successful (as was Kate Spade) yet with his personal demons haunting him.

RIP Anthony, RIP

Rub a Dub

• mentalclarity
    mentalclarity

Very sad- I loved his shows.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Amazing storyteller, authentic human being, amazing life experience and philosophy he generously shared.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit