Resistace to going back to meetings

by truthseeker 25 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

If your cat walks in front of your laptop they'll count it.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

My friend who is still active said there is unconscious resistance towards going back to meetings.

"I'd rather stay home than go to church" is not a good sign for a relatively small group like the JWs. I'm sure that there is also quite a bit of "I'd rather stand next to these pamphlets than ever knock on a door again" attitude out there.

They need to keep the membership active and donating, because they have too many expenses to recover from a significant decrease in followers.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

It's strange because the megathread on Reddit has been 70 - 30 % reporting people happy to go back.

I think most people are saying numbers are down. Some areas/KH don't even allow zoom hook ups any more. In person meetings are insisted upon which is incredibly uncaring about the elderly given high levels of Covid. How can they switch so fast from "we lovingly don't have meetings" to "you must attend meetings or you are not spiritual".

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I took my elderly mom last weekend…

… there was a really big turnout.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

My mom said that the attendance at her hall has been pretty sparse.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

May 1st is just around the corner...It's been nearly a month since JWs started in-person meetings. It started out with a Bang!...but it appears in some areas meeting in-person attendance at Kingdom Halls is worse now than pre-pandemic!

After talking to several individuals in the circuit, many congregations are finding 50% Zoom meeting attendees with cameras off still & the other 50% at the kingdom Hall. Week by week it seems to get worse. So, for the congregation that I'm assigned to which has approximately 150 publishers...75 or less are at the Kingdom Hall & 75 or more are home on Zoom with cameras off.

That can't be good for the mental, emotional & spiritual morale of those attending the Kingdom Halls...Yay!

• Biahi
    Biahi

My mom attended the memorial on zoom…also, all the meetings on zoom. She’s elderly.

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

About 50% here also they tell me.

RB

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It’s about 60/40 KH/Zoom here, and surrounding congregations are similar.

If you count KH and Zoom together it’s higher than pre pandemic, if you only count KH then it’s lower.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

About 50/50 around here too.

It's the "zealous" ones who show up at the KH. Zoom is filled with the elderly, the fence-sitters, and parents with young kids (after 2 years, the prospect of getting all the kids dressed up, then shlepping them to the hall, then fighting to keep them quiet for 2 hours must seem excruciatingly daunting). It also seems to have more than a fair share of folks who just don't feel like going in person, and now there is an easy alternative.

I'm pretty confident that the GB was hoping for an immediate in-person return of 90% or more of the JWs, with Zoom populated solely by the old & the sick. I'm equally confident that the 50/50 split being widely reported is quite disappointing for them. I'm expecting, any day now, the start of video and shepherding visit harassment on the importance of being at the KH in person.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit