Creation, evolution, ???

by Freedom rocks 77 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

Cofty im already half way thru trading taktillik (i know thats spelt wrong the transition from sea to land-sorry)

Ill be working my way through it all.

• Moster
    Moster

As a child I asked my uber JW mother if there were such things as aliens. Her response was "well the bible doesn't say that God only created Earth and its inhabitants, so perhaps we are not alone. Who is to say."

Good reasoning I would say, too bad she stopped short of reasoning her way through the JW doctrine.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

PLEASE, SOMEONE, READ A BOOK before taking sides on very important and yes, complicated science!!!

The BIG BANG was NNNNOOOOOTTTT an Explosion!!!!

Realy take at least 10 minutes to get some facts and try an understand the basics with Evolution and the Big Bang - which by the way HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH EACH OTHER!

• waton
    waton
    Evolution and the Big Bang - which by the way HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH EACH OTHER!

Well, even if Fred Hoyle created it as a a joke, serious science is now calculating the expansion of the universe back to a singularity. Regardless, if there would not have been a Big Beginning (or infinite time) of matter and spacetime, we would not be conscious of existence. Possibly we are the universe's way to know itself.

Without that BB we would not be here, evolution would not have happened, a process made possible by the laws of nature and it's structure.

"--This I tell you brother: you cant have one without he other--" a misquote from the musical "Oklahoma"

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

His colleague who I think might be a jws by his attitude and reasoning skills

thinks we're the only planet with life on it.

Rather ignorant and presumptuous of a claim baring the facts.

How do scientists know that there are billions of other solar systems like us in the Universe?

They don’t know that, and I’ve never come across one that made that claim.

What they do know is that based on measurements of portions of the sky and extrapolation, that there are about 100 billion stars in our galaxy and up to 10 trillion galaxies in the universe. That means up to 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars. About 7.6% percent of those stars are class G stars (like our Sun).

We haven’t been to any of those stars to see if they have solar systems like ours. But we have been studying a very small portion of the sky in the constellation Cygnus, using the Kepler telescope. Kepler doesn’t allow us to visually see planets around far away stars, but it allows us to detect changes in the light coming from those stars caused by planets passing in front of the star. From this analysis, the estimates are now that almost all class G stars have at least one planet.

That means there are up to 76,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars similar to ours and almost all of them have some form of planets. Based on the Kepler observations, it is now estimated that a quarter of those stars have at least one rocky planet similar in size to the Earth and in the habitable zone.

That means there are up to 19,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars similar to ours with at least one planet similar to Earth.

All of this is based upon looking at small samples and extrapolating to the larger scale, but until data is found that indicates such extrapolation isn’t reasonable, we can — with some confidence — say that there are likely billions of other solar systems structurally somewhat like ours.

What we don’t have enough data to extrapolate is how many of those Earth-like planets have actually developed life. We have one data point thus far — Earth.

• waton
    waton
    We have one data point thus far — Earth.

Yeah, Earth is no.1 (first discovered to have life)

No1 in Abiogenesis, No 1 in evolution

http://www.sciforums.com/threads/doing-the-numbers-on-no-1.160798/

are we the exception or the rule?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

are we the exception or the rule?

We'll have to investigate the trillion or more other planets to find out

• Perry
    Perry
    How would you have argued this topic if you were In the conversation?

Physical life forms may be unique to earth, maybe not. There is a difference between what we can test and replicate here, in the present; and that which we can theorize about far away or in the past.

Present Science deals with current facts. Even if they are subject to world views, confirmation bias, and other selection criteria.

Theoretical Science deals with beliefs and assumptions.

The nice thing about freedom is that we are free to believe whatever we want. But theoretical science, is not science in the way most people think of as established-fact-observable-repeatable "present science".

• Perry
    Perry

Hi waton:

Without that BB we would not be here, evolution would not have happened, a process made possible by the laws of nature and it's structure.

So you believe a random explosion (Big Bang) caused evolution, logical processes, laws of physics and even your own consciousness?

That is quite a belief!

I also have an assumption (belief) about our origin: God-did-it

Q: Why don't we see explosions today bring about more incredibly useful, logical and beautiful things?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The laws of physics along with the laws of natural law are known and accepted facts but a god of a supernatural order has yet to defined, why because there never been any evidence of such a thing.

The only thing that has created acceptance of a god(s) is human ignorance of the world in which we live..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit