Creation, evolution, ???

by Freedom rocks 77 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Freedom rocks
    Freedom rocks

Was on the bus today and got into a discussion somehow with the driver and ok be ood his work colleagues about whether there's life in other planets, evolution and creation.

The driver believes there must be other life out there, I agree with him that life can't be unique to this planet out of the billions that exist. His colleague who I think might be a jw by his attitude and reasoning skills thinks we're the only planet with life on it and it was made perfect and exact purposely for humans. He said to me 'i guess you don't believe in creation then?'

How would you have argued this topic if you were In the conversation?

Do you thunk we're the only inhabited planet in existence?

• Freedom rocks
    Freedom rocks

Sorry there are some odd words in my op, my predictive text on my phone is terrible. The first sentence is supposed to say with the driver and one of his work colleagues

• Giordano
    Giordano
    His colleague who I think might be a jw by his attitude and reasoning skills thinks we're the only planet with life on it and it was made perfect and exact purposely for humans.

We used to believe that the Sun revolved around the earth. Ignorance is transfused into religious thinking which is why there are 100's of confusing religions.

Science unifies as it can at certain points be understood by every culture that doesn't impose a screen over their population.

The fact of the matter is that human life can survive on this plant but it's far from perfect. Unless a person thinks earthquakes is part of the perfect.

The earth can sustain and it can kill.

Do you think we're the only inhabited planet in existence?

I can only speculate if there is life elsewhere. The Universe is too big to be viewed we find more and more planets and solar systems and more Milky way like clusters ever year. To me it's not IF we find life but WHEN and what kind of life.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Even if you believe in a boogeyman that lives in the sky that created everything. What does this have to do with life in other planets?

Even the bronze age manual does not mention anything about this. If the boogeyman created life on this planet, it's certainly possible that he decided to populate at least a few of the gzzillion planets in the universe.

At some point human history, people believe the earth was the center of the universe. Seems this person has not moved on.

• cofty
    cofty

I believe that the discovery of life on other planets would be a real issue for JWs although they would publicly accommodate it.

I'm sure 'simple' prokaryotic life has evolved many times in the universe. Complex, multicellular, eukaryotic life (everything we can see with our eyes) might be very rare or even unique to earth. The circumstances that made it possible are astonishingly unlikely. But then the universe is a big place.

• cofty
    cofty
    [earth] was made perfect and exact purposely for humans

I would have challenged him on that. Got to go. Will add details later.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    cofty - "I believe that the discovery of life on other planets would be a real issue for JWs..."

Agreed; particularly intelligent life.

I was (and still am) a huge sci-fi fan, and even as a teenager, I'd grasped that the WTS would have serious problems if First Contact actually occurred (friendly or otherwise).

A study was done a while back (can't remember where) that revealed - unintentially - that ETs just don't really fit with the fundamentalst evangelical worldview (JWs included).

• sir82
    sir82

The circumstances that made it possible are astonishingly unlikely. But then the universe is a big place.

By some estimates, there are 10^24 stars in the universe.

If just 0.0000001% of them have "Goldilocks" planets which may support liquid water, and just 0.00000001% of those places that could have complex life actually does have it....

That's still one million planets with complex life.

So the good news is, there's probably lots of "neighbors".

Bad news is, none are within walking distance.

You are right, space is really big. As Douglas Adams wrote, "You might think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts compared to space. Listen..."

My argument to the bus driver would be something along the lines of "if the earth is the only place where 'intelligent life' is found, that's an awful lot of wasted space."

• waton
    waton

Unless the driver was on the lunch break, distracting him on his life&death job might hasten the process of eliminating unfit mutations.

The discussion about evolution vs creation is really about one process or the other, clearly both are made possible and can be observed to work using the existing energy, matter and laws.

energy or its alter ego, matter, can neither be destroyed nor created, both are fundamental, as is the required time to do it in; so:

at the very root, everything was not even created, in our sense of the word.logos, logic, understanding.

It works, so it it is work,

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

This world is far from perfect for humans. I mean... we cant even live on alot of it.

Ive seen enough.of this worlds horrors to firmly believe there is no god. So thats creation gone for me.

But evolution seems silly to me too.

As for life on other planets... probably! I mean

Why not?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit