What would you like to have known about JWs before deciding whether to get baptised?

by slimboyfat 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rebel8
    rebel8

If you could go back in time and tell yourself one thing about JWs would you do it?

"Say no, get away and tell someone."

Yes, you recognize that as a saying to kids so they don't get abused.

I wasn't being sexually abused, but I was being physically and mentally abused. If I had just notified my normal parent what was going on, it would have been over. I didn't know that at the time. I was brainwashed just like other abused people--don't trust others, don't tell them what's happening, they're against us, they're the enemy.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Oh hell yes. I remember going to the library to investigate the JWs, but not finding anything much. They had me convinced that they predicted the last days would begin in 1914, and since WWI started then it made it seem like they did have special knowledge. What they didn't say was that they predicted Armageddon would start in 1914, not the last days, the bible students thought they were already in the last days. That's a big lie to tell, and all of it based on the 607 date for the fall of Jerusalem, which is also incorrect.

So, 28 years wasted because of those lies, I would have like to have known.

• millie210
    millie210

I think a lot like Faye on this one,

I guess if I had to come up with a question that might have given me pause it would be:

If all your family were killed in a plane crash tomorrow would you still get baptized?

I dont think I would have, The familial pressure was on and it was fierce.

I was 19.

• zeb
    zeb

an objective statement of the history and failed predictions.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

1914 would have been enough for me.

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

what they actually claimed about what would happen in 1914 not the revised history I was fed

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

I would have told myself to research their history. Of course back then there was no internet. So I would have to do it by using the library and apostate books at that but if that's what it takes then so be it. And then there is no way I would have gotten baptized.

No way.

• steve2
    steve2

Scrutinize the organization the way the organization tells members of the churches of Christendom to scrutinize their religion.

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

I would teach my past self about critical thinking and logical fallacy.

I would let the rest happen naturally.

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

Steve2, you nailed it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit