What would you like to have known about JWs before deciding whether to get baptised?

by slimboyfat 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Nothing. It would have caused more problems. I left at the right time for me.

(i was raised as a JW and baptised in my early teens)

• LifesNotOver
    LifesNotOver

I'd have told my 53-year-old-self: Give your head a shake! This sounds really fishy! Don't just take their word for it that they have the true definition of a cult and they're not a cult. Actually look up what constitutes a cult for yourself, find out if their beliefs match the definition, then as the saying goes: If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck." (something like that). No matter how loudly it proclaims that it's not a duck and tries to offer all this proof. - enough about ducks already!

I'd have told my 53-year-old-self: stop! you've stopped thinking for yourself - you're being brainwashed. Run away! Run away!

And I'd have listened to my children. Oh, maybe I'll apologize to them for not listening to them back then. That might help repair our relationship a bit. My daughter said to me when I told her I was going to be baptized - I thought you were smarter than that, Mom. I was offended. My son warned me of how difficult it was to leave that religion - he had a friend who was trying to get away and they wouldn't leave him alone, putting notes on his windshield in parking lots, coming by his house, etc. But who listens to their kids, hey? Aren't the parents supposed to be the older and wiser ones? Not necessarily so. I now remember asking the witnesses I was studying with about what would happen if I didn't want to study anymore, they said no problem, they'd simply not come back. I didn't test it out, but now I know if I'd tried to quit they'd have kept on and on at me about it. So they lied.

And I'd have told myself not to walk into a Kingdom Hall. I'd have told myself to trust my gut and stand up for myself! I knew enough back then about paying attention to warning bells in my head and in my heart and in my gut.

And now I have to learn to quit beating up on myself about my past choices. And love myself! LNO

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Well, I was unbaptized publisher teenager. My Elder Dad was reading apostate material in his office. He didn't read much til I told him apostate wrote it. I made sure he tear it up immediately. If he read the whole thing, he might try to convince me not to get baptized at the age of 18.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

I think I knew everything that I could know, the problem was I was seeing the world through the eyes of a twelve year old boy. No matter how much knowledge you have at that age you are just not emotionally mature enough to make a life long commitment to anything. I always imagined that even if it wasn't 100% the truth that it would be "the best life ever," as the kids are saying now. Never did I imagine that my outlook about what is important in life would change or that the message of the organization would begin to feel like a heavy weight around my neck. That just reading WT articles would make feel like I was being manipulated and controlled for someone else's benefit. I guess sometimes you have to live it before you really understand what it's all about but by that point it's too late.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I used to think that if I could go back in time and bitch-slap some sense into myself before getting baptised.

Now I think I would bitch-slap the bitch that sucked me into it instead.

• Schnufti
    Schnufti

"If you have to die for your faith, you need to be 100% convinced of what you believe. The blood card in your wallet could kill you for nothing. So please research.

Always check both sides of arguments. Don't be afraid to research outside of WT publications. There is no counter-evidence against the truth. If it is the truth, you will be even more convinced."

• phats
    phats

Hi Slimboyfat, I would say. Ask, who am I giving myself to. Jehovah or a body of men? & then say. Find out the truth. Phats.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

If I has known about the revisionist history of 1914 and the failed prophecy of 1925 I wouldn't have put so much faith in the generation that would not pass away by 1990's at the latest.

• ChrisIncredulous
    ChrisIncredulous

I've thought about this a lot, but I can't say I've ever found an answer.

As a teenager I was so convinced of the truth and so scared of the Devil lurking to trap me in falsehood that you probably couldn't tell me anything.

I rejected the offer of help from a teenage counsellor who wanted to see me alone - it was rumored she'd helped one girl in the congregation leave home to escape her witness parents making her attend meetings.

What I would have needed was a caring, trusted and skeptical friend to keep regular contact with and to ask me: "Do you ever doubt?"

I think space to consider my own feelings and doubts might have made a difference but it's hard to say.

• stillin
    stillin

I should have listened to my sense of humor. The religion is laughable and the people can't laugh at themselves

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit