What would you like to have known about JWs before deciding whether to get baptised?

by slimboyfat 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

If you could go back in time and tell yourself one thing about JWs would you do it? And what would you choose to say to yourself? Do you think you could have convinced yourself not to get baptised if you chose the right thing to say?

I find it actually a more difficult question to answer the more I think about it. Not so easy at all.

Factual statements turn out not to be the best idea:

1. There is no historical basis for the 1914 date, check out the fall of Jerusalem in any history book.

2. Many of the arguments in WT literature rely on misquotes from other sources, for examples the Trinity brochure, Reasoning book and the Creation book.

3. JWs taught that organ transplantation was cannibalism until 1980.

I don't know, I somehow doubt any of those arguments would have worked.

Maybe something more along the lines of:

1. Once you get baptised you can't question or disbelieve anything the governing body says publicly any more without being shunned.

2 There's no rush getting baptised, you can still go to meetings as long as you want without getting baptised. Why not wait a few years and see if it's what you want?

3. Why not work out what you want to accomplish in life first. And work out later if getting baptised fits in with your goals.

I think I might have had better luck with that sort of argument. Even so I would have had a hard time I reckon.

What would you say to youself? Do you think anything would have changed your mind about getting baptised?

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Hmm... that it was a CULT!

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I'm pretty sure the misquotes and associated lies in the creation book would've done the trick for me. I always valued truth over everything else, I was enamored with the idea that I had the absolute truth and I put that ahead of everything else.

The timing might matter somewhat - if I could talk to a 17/18 year old me, I have no doubt I'd be able to wake myself up. I was really close to leaving, but hadn't gotten past the apostaphobia enough to do the research to prove to myself that it's a cult. If I had just one little push, I would've been out for good then. What i wouldn't give to do that so I could've started building a normal life in college instead of in my 30s, way behind the curve.

• eva luna
    eva luna

What worked with all my children when they were teens....'if you get baptized and then get DF'd, most, or all of your Family and friends will shun you. Look at your cousin B. , see how everyone is treating her, including your father? She made one typical mistake. Are you sure you feel you will not break any of the rules? Do you think you can handle the shunning?'

That did it for them, and would have done it for me too.

• Spiral
    Spiral

You'll be 50+ in 2016 and just finishing college because today (1974) you are told you won't finish high school. Lies! Don't get baptised, go get that degree now! Armageddon ain't coming next year!

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Gah! Double post
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

"look, i know you feel obligated to go through with this to make your parents happy and to be a good girl. But you know in your deepest heart of hearts that this is a cult, even tho you have tried to make this work for you and convince yourself you agree with it, you know it's not really for you and it's not really true. If you go ahead and get baptized, you will eventually be separating yourself more from your parents than if you don't get baptized. I know it feels bad and rebellious not to, but it will actually hurt your relationship with them later, after you decide you really can't live with a few old men in new york telling you how to live your life. You will eventually read the Bible on your own, realize the witnesses have rejected Christ, and have to leave. If you get baptized all of this is more complicated!! Don't do it."

• La Capra
    La Capra

1. Females are second class citizens.

2. Unmarried females are less than male children.

3. Getting baptized only made it worse, because they stop being kind to you.

I put up with that less than one year. Ten months to be exact. It would have been fewer months, but I had a family trip to get through. I was fortunate. I didn't put off my education. I won't suffer an impoverished retirement (you listening mom?) like all my other all-in JW peers (there aren't too many of them) who have nothing (it used to be less than nothing, but thanks to Chapter 7's and 13's, it's just nothing).

• Wayward
    Wayward

I'd tell my 14-year-old self:

"Don't get baptized because in four years you'll have learned a lot more and realize this isn't 'the truth'. You'll be desperately unhappy and looking for a way out."

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I would have told myself to wait and watch to see if they really the identifying mark of "Love among themselves" that they tout so loudly. I would have explained "love bombing" and encouraged my younger self to see how its working out for newly baptized ones after they were dunked. Most of all I would have encouraged patience to see how it all functions. It would have helped I know it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit