Baptism during Covid - pool must tough the ground?

by jwfacts 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The July 2020 Announcements mentions that baptism can be held in an “inflatable pool” as long as it touches the ground. The pool must not be “on a terrace, flat roof, balcony, etc.”.

Has anyone ever noticed that as a requirement?

I was baptised in an iron bath tub on a Wooden school hall stage, and am not sure that satisfies the requirement of being in contact with the ground. Not that it matters. Even if my baptism was not valid in the eyes of God, it was binding enough in the eyes of men to warrant my disfellowshipping.

Edit to acknowledge the title should be touch, not tough. The quote was in fact “in contact with the ground.”

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

The July 2020 Announcements mentions that baptism can be held in an “inflatable pool” as long as it touches the ground. The pool must not be “on a terrace, flat roof, balcony, etc.”.

What if you're in Space.

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/mt/2019/08/Astronaut_Holding_DoubleTree_Cookie/facebook.jpg?1564771264

• Ultimate Reality
    Ultimate Reality

My first guess goes to some sort of potential legal liability (since that is usually their first priority). It sounds like they are nervous about inflatable pools in elevated locations...perhaps someone could fall or the pool could get caught by the wind?

• minimus
    minimus

Jesus made this rule.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Just like in the bible. This comes from new york people who do not even know what dirt is. What about stock tanks? Just go down to the river.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

The 2020, July 10, Announcement letter that we received concerning baptism pools, was actually sent from Spain.

When I asked Atlantis about this requirement of the baptism assembly touching the ground, he said it might be a requirement, or law in Spain.

I would imagine that every country has their own rules and regulations.

It's just that when I read the Announcement, it sounded weird. I have seen pictures of JW's being baptized in the back of pickup trucks, with a plastic liner filled with water. But that picture could have been in a different country.

It's the children I feel sorry for. These children at 10 and 12 years old getting baptized have no idea what they have signed up for. Many of them will be disfellowshipped by the time they are 14.

Petra!

• steve2
    steve2

A safety requirement with little, if anything to do with "spiritual" considerations or interpretations. I'm a bit surprised that JW organization's instructions on this do not mention or allude to safety. Balconies and terraced areas risk collapse when weight-bearing inflatable pools are filled with water.

• jp1692
    jp1692

RE BAPTISMS:

I thought it was odd that, although they can "use an inflatable pool [for baptisms] . . . it should be installed on a surface that is in direct contact with the ground. It should not be installed on a terrace, flat roof, balcony, etc."

For several years in the late '90s, I was in charge of the baptism pools at circuit assemblies. We used a portable spa which was on the ground, but I never heard that IT HAD TO BE on the ground. Anyone else heard of this unusual rule before?

The pharisees would be so proud of the WTBTS for making up so many bullshit little rules and regulations - (Matthew 23:23-24).

On a funny note, one time we tried to baptize a man that was about 6'5" tall (1.96m). To say he was a "big boy" was an understatement. The spa we used was only about 4' in diameter (1.25m), which was not a problem for most people. However, it was really difficult to get this huge man fully submerged. Every time the "brothers" tried, he'd have a knee or a shoulder pop up. And, as you may or may not know, according to "revealed JW wisdom" per the WTBTS, it doesn't count unless the individual is fully submerged.

So, after about four or five unsuccessful attempts, the individuals doing the baptism had to get out of the spa, and with the assistance of a couple of others on every corner of the little pool they were finally able to get him fully dunked with no bits or pieces popping out!

Let's review: It's a cult!
  • dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Must surely be for safety. Water is really heavy, and if anyone put a pool on a terrace or balcony it would exceed the weight designed for.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

There have been accounts in the WT/Awake over the years where people were baptized in their bathtubs.

To the best of my knowledge, most bathtubs don't touch the ground.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit