The public housing block’s cladding had been changed in a 2016 renovation, but reports have emerged that contractors installed a cheaper, less flame-resistant material. The Guardian reported that they used aluminum composite cladding on the building’s exterior, but opted to use a plastic type called Reynobond PE, rather than Reynobond FR, which stands for fire-resistant.
many eventually kept their windows closed and escaped to the cool inner core, down the staircase. hopefully none clung to the windows where the heat was, and were somehow warned to seek the central way down
That's the theory and why tower blocks are not meant to be as dangerous as you might imagine.
But it relies on fire-doors being in good working order and closing, not being wedged open for convenience and otherwise-unused stairwells not used for storage.
I've been at companies where fire corridors have been used for storage ... people get so "pissy" when you dump all their crap outside but if you are EVER anywhere where someone has done this, you owe it to yourself and everyone else to make a stink and insist that things are cleared.
No excuses. No one can predict when that corridor can become a matter of life or death.
reports have emerged that contractors installed a cheaper, less flame-resistant material
Apparently, it would have only added $5k to the project cost.
No wonder that the non-fire-retardant option isn't allowed to be an option in many places.
Someone needs to justify the decision to use the cheaper option and be embarrassed to explain it.
So very sad ,it was incredible how that fire engulfed the outside of the building and then into it.
Those responsible should be prosecuted for manslaughter at the very least
fingerpointing can go a long way, from those demanding a smaller carbon footprint i.e insulation to burn less fuel, to those demanding low or no rent. profit driven, squeezed contractors, .... a tragic way to live and die, even seeing your children die as you succumb too. Far from the green field of your youth. Time for reflection of all of us to do better.
Do not demand what London can do for you, but what you can do for London. or?
dying in flames is a very painful death, hopefully many that died were spared that needless suffering because passing out from smoke poisoning, or asphyxiation, falling asleep for lack of oxygen.
always hoping for the best, even for the ~60, nearly same number, that died more recently that way in Portugal .