What should I visit while in New York

by wannaexit 35 Replies latest jw friends

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Ithaca is nice. All the gorges, wine country, beautiful scenery, etc. New York State is actually quite beautiful.

NYC is like a hemorrhoid on NY state's azz. It hangs out there, being inflammatory. lol

• LV101
    LV101

elaine - Love Bergies but was not aware their window displays were extraordinary.

wannaexit - The iconic Rainbow Room restaurant on the rooftop is incredible to experience at least once or just for a drink. I don't think their famous anymore for food like in it's heyday but I could be wrong. We ate there couple times and there's just too many wonderful places to experience in NYC. It's featured in old movies - many famous bands of the past and where the Rockets perform.

What I really enjoy about the city - not a guy thing or my husband's thing - but I'm out shopping by myself and to be able to stroll thru the corner drug store and enjoy an incredible salad bar with unbelievable veggies/fruits, etc. No car needed just walk it.

• LV101
    LV101
    oops - they're famous not their -- but you get the idea.
  • pontoon
    pontoon
    Go to the Battery and take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry. Great views of NY Harbor, Battery Park, Old Brooklyn Navy Yard, Lower Manhattan Skyline, goes past Statue of Liberty. When you get to Staten Island get back on another going back to Manhattan. When I was a kid growing up in the city we would ride our bikes to the ferry and take a ride, it cost a nickle. Now it's FREE.
  • Godsendconspirator
    Godsendconspirator
    If you walk through Times Squares, please don't get in anybody's way. I've lived in NYC my entire life and its annoying when tourist stop in the middle of the sidewalk to take pictures. It's like a roadway. and if you need to stop, go off to the sides. That being said, Chinatown is a great place to visit as well as the Brooklyn Bridge if you can ignore Bethel right next to it.
  • wannaexit
    wannaexit

YOU know this is coming: Watchtower Headquaters (God's name expo and JW History museum, all inside the same building. And while you are at it, smack in the head at the stupid TOMO III, please?

Pixel, If I do get to the headquarters, I'll be sure to ask for TOMO on your behalf LOL

A great big THANK YOU for all your great suggestions. I love this forum and this great community.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

How long will you be in town?

Eight weeks?

Twelve weeks?  

EXCELLENT!

See everything suggested above, (Museum of Modern Art, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, The American Museum of Natural History, the Guggenheim Museum, a Broadway show, Central Park, Empire State Building, New Freedom Tower, Yankee Stadium, the NY Public Library on 5th ave, the Plaza Hotel, stroll down FIFTH ave and marvel, the statue of liberty)

add the Hayden Planetarium and the United Nations Building. Then head to the northern tip of Manhattan and explore The Cloisters Museum. Head over to Staten Island and investigate the long-gone site of the first Bethel Farm/Bordello, then find the Church upon whose grounds is a vast EMPTY space where old-time Dubs like W.E.vanAmburg are buried, all sans-headstones.  I can supply directions if you wish.

See the magnificent Verrazano–Narrows Bridge, see Coney Island. If time permits, drive all the way out to Montauk Point (116 miles):

You will see "the island" magically transform from a busy metropolis to something more like cape cod; that eastern tip is warmed by the gulf stream and you will find remarkable life in the tide pools out there.

You can find the site of Tesla's energy transmission experiments at Wardenclyffe Tower (1901–1917), also known as the Tesla Tower, an early wireless transmission station designed and built by Nikola Tesla in Shoreham, New York in 1901- 1902.

It is on the North Shore of Long Island:

• Sail Away
    Sail Away
    Nathan Natas nailed it! Check to see if the cat's eye chrysoberyl is still at the Museum of Natural History. Bring a small flashlight ;)
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I lived there 30 years ago. Don't buy electronics in times sqare. I saw them selling PanasOanic radio's. I imagine it's now cell phones that are from Appel or something. Don't get snagged by a street hustlers card games. Be judicious about eating street food. Eat NY pizza. God I miss that!

See if your favorite authors lived there. I went to see where Louisa May Alcott lived and her neighborhood. shop at the street art/food/flea markets. Buy a small piece of art from a street vendor that created it. Have a handful of quarters or tokens for street performers. Play checkers with an old guy in the park. Be open to conversation. People do talk, don't be afraid-or weird. Eat a lot. Go to a Greek diner. I don't know why, but I liked them. Get out of Manhattan and visit queens or Brooklyn or my old neighborhood, gun hill road, in the Bronx. By the medical school or hospital.

Beautiful time to visit! Have a wonderful visit. Just experience the city. 

• Becksi
    Becksi

This is in addition to the excellent recommendations for museums/galleries etc above :)

The last time we were in NYC we were given a great tip by a New Yorker, to visit the observation level at 'the top of the Rock' (The Rockerfeller Centre) instead of going up the Empire State Building. You get the classic New York view to one side, which includes the Empire State Building and then stunning views of Central Park from the other side. Minus the extensive queues that The Empire State Building attracts.

Visit China Town, Little Italy, the Statue of Liberty (not Ellis Island if you're pressed for time - lots of school trips!) and take a pic at the Flat Iron (first skyscraper). Also if you're a Sex & the City fan (don't judge me), get a red velvet cupcake or the banana pudding from Magnolia Bakery and have steak frites in Pastis (if it's reopened). Also, The Mandarin Oriental hotel has a terrific view over Central Park for cocktails.

We also loved an evening at the Comedy Strip Live (this was where Seinfeld, Chris Rock etc got their breaks).

We LOVE New York! I always say that if I could live in another City for a couple of years, New York would be it.

Enjoy! x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit