JW Father Kills Self and 12-year-old Son

by fjtoth 98 Replies latest social current

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

A Follow-up Item in the The Ledger of Lakeland, Florida, found at:
    http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?SearchID=73145424609743&Avis=LL&Dato=20030826&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=308260307&Ref=AR

Published Tuesday, August 26, 2003

HELP US
    Stories We're Working On

Here are some of the articles and features that Ledger writers and editors are preparing. Each item tells readers how to call or write.

SUICIDE

The Ledger is planning a series of articles focusing on the aftermath of suicide. We hope to talk to family members of people who have died by suicide in order to explore the stages of grief and recovery the survivors have experienced. Please contact features writer Gary White at 802-7518 or [email protected].

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

PFFFFFFFFFFF an other one (babyboy) bite the dust ! (kill his own children ... Gee ... this guy had something on his mind !!!) ... I may kill on day some parents before the become like this (Well ... I won't ... just SORRY, SORRY, SORRY ... this is so SAD)

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

amac wrote:

I've no doubt this has happened many times, but I would attribute this to the upbringing and current culture of those elders that said it, not as a directive from the WT

Having been a witness all my life, I no longer think that. I have learned that on many issues there are two tracks, one the official one and the other the unwritten rule that really applies.

At a meeting for service less than ten years ago, Jack Thomas covered material from the WT about physical abuse and that brothers are not to physically abuse their wives in any way. After dutifully covering the information, he then sarcastically said, "Now this does not mean that if your husband slaps you up you should go running to the elders." Of course, that is exactly what the information meant, but the CO, the WT's man in the field, the one most in touch with what Brooklyn wants, downplayed the information.

Letters were written to the Society constantly about this CO and nothing was ever done to reverse what he said about this and many other things.

Silence is compliance.

Regarding this sad tragedy, who knows what caused him to snap. I suspect depression as the cause, but then witnesses are told that if they are more spiritual and attend meetings more, that they will feel better. (This is from the Watchtower magazine constantly; the Awake puts forth the token acknowledgement of depression, but I cannot recall ever reading the WT itself recommending treatment for depression.)

I feel so sorry for the family that is left.

• blondie
    blondie
    Silence is compliance.

Wow, that is close to one of my sayings, pistoff, "Silence means agreement."

I have been reading the comments here. I will have to bet that few here are professionals in the counseling field dealing with depression, either psychologist or psychiatrist. One of my pet peeves is elders acting like they are. I hate to think that anyone here thinks that they can diagnose someone based on a newspaper article when a qualified professional would hardly dare to do so.

The WTS always puts a disclaimer at the end of any article on medical article to protect themselves against lawsuits.

Awake! does not endorse any of the treatments discussed. In all cases we recommend that you consult your own physician regarding any course of treatment or medication. Awake! tries to inform the reader of the medical options that are available according to doctors and other professionals.

Even among non-JWs, mental illness is one of the last bastions of prejudice. Few people want to admit they have a problem or that a family member does.

Blondie

• ESTEE
    ESTEE
    a lot of the elders knew something was up but did nothing to help.

Like....the elders are ummmm.... QualifiedTM to help...??? That's a JW-ism.

ESTEE

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Pistoff wrote:

witnesses are told that if they are more spiritual and attend meetings more, that they will feel better. (This is from the Watchtower magazine constantly; the Awake puts forth the token acknowledgement of depression, but I cannot recall ever reading the WT itself recommending treatment for depression.)

When I was dealing with my abuse issues and experiencing severe depression, I was told, "Whoever looks behind is not well suited for the kingdom." In other words, I was not supposed to be dealing with my issues. They heaped more guilt on me, by saying this. Officially, I was "supposed to" read my bible more go in service more....blah....blah...blah.......oh...and BE a better wife....blah...blah...blah....

ESTEE

• freein89
    freein89

As has already been stated here, this has EVERYTHING to do with JW's. A JW will do anything to hide family problems so as not to tarnish the reputation of the organization or its god. When the fur hit the fan and word got out that my husband was cheating I did not dwell for even a moment on my own pain. ALL I could think about was that this would make the JW's look bad. I forgave him without his even asking for my forgiveness-it was a given. He never even asked and I doubt it even occurred to him to ask and it never occured to me that I should be begged for forgiveness. A child is dead and we blame the man that shot him and rightly so, but there must be accountability among the Jehovah's Witnesses. They tell themselves over and over that they are the happy people worshipping the happy god when nothing could be further from the truth.

Look at the literature it is filled with acts of cruelty and vengeance and so is the bible. How could a culture steeped in violence be anything but violent. I remember paging through the Book of Bible Stories looking for a story that wouldn't scare the shit out of my kids at bedtime. For you who are defending the JW's get out the book and look at the violence. If anyone still has the book could you please post the percentage of the stories contained in it that depict violence in both word and illustration. The book is filled with scenes of death and murder and most of it was condoned - no that is the wrong word-glorified by the society. This is what will happen to those who disobey. Now you tell me what is really so surprising about the father killing the child! Is the bible and the literature of the Watchtower Society not replete with the same scenario? I don't believe in hell but if there happens to be one I can think of an organization that belongs there-lock, stock and barrel. I am very angry with ANYONE that would defent that religion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deb

• amac
    amac
    At a meeting for service less than ten years ago, Jack Thomas covered material from the WT about physical abuse and that brothers are not to physically abuse their wives in any way. After dutifully covering the information, he then sarcastically said, "Now this does not mean that if your husband slaps you up you should go running to the elders." Of course, that is exactly what the information meant, but the CO, the WT's man in the field, the one most in touch with what Brooklyn wants, downplayed the information.

That completely supports my point. The WT said one thing and this CO said another. Where did his viewpoint come from? Obviously not from the WT, since he contradicted their information. So it must have come from other influence outside the WT, most likely, society as a whole. COs are usually up in age a bit, so he probably grew up in an era where slapping your wife around was acceptable discipline.

I haven't responded to any other threads because I first wanted to find my WT CD to see what published information I could find on this from the WT to try to determine further if the attitudes described by the personal experience of some on this thread are from the WT or society as a whole.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    That completely supports my point.

Sorry, no. It completely supports my point. The problem is and has been, from the top down.

Here's a quarter, go buy a realistic perspective amac.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth
    So it must have come from other influence outside the WT, most likely, society as a whole. COs are usually up in age a bit, so he probably grew up in an era where slapping your wife around was acceptable discipline.

You really are naïve, amac. COs generally get appointed because they pass the rigourous inspection of the CO or DO who trains them. That training and inspection goes on over a period of time. They are approved only after it's been thoroughly established that they fully grasp the Society's policies and standards. If, as you claim, they are "most likely" influenced by "society as a whole," what about the elders lower down in the Society's hierarchy? If COs are giving advice that originates in "society as a whole," who can you point to within the organization who are doing better? Your explanation is a cop-out. You're defending the indefensible. You're desperately trying to get the WT Society off the hook when as a matter of fact its whole mindset and basic teachings are fully to blame for the bad advice that elders and COs and other leaders give to the rank and file.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit