Video: Dear Believer, Why Do You Believe?

by Believer 63 Replies latest jw experiences

• DJS
    DJS

Lieu,

More ad hominen. Is that all you got? We atheists promise that the second you say something that makes sense we will applaud you.

We hurt your feelings because that's what you lead with and what drives you. If you would start using your brain it wouldn't sting so much.

Or even some self control.

• cofty
    cofty

Believer - I'm still waiting for an attempt at a rational response.

You spent your OP criticising ex-JWs who don't really understand what it means to be a christian. I do. Ignoring my arguments doesn't make you look like a credible apologist.

I defined "proof" and "god". You could start there.

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane

Good points.......

* Faith is an accident of geography.

* Better to wager on "no" God, than the wrong God.

* Evidence makes belief unnecessary.

• Believer
    Believer

I notice that when a thread is started that is directed to believers, it is usually co-opted by atheists. I’d like to stay on point. Read the OP and you will see what I am interested in responding to. If you want to start a thread espousing your robot philosophy, do it. And maybe I’ll be interested in responding.

• cofty
    cofty

Believer you complained that it, "Doesn’t look like nonbelievers can stay on topic."

I posted a comment that was a direct response to your OP. It could not have been any more "on point".

This is a discussion forum, you don't get to choose who responds to your threads. Ignoring factual challenges destroys your credibility.

• DJS
    DJS

Believer,

Didn't you say a couple of days ago you would never post again on this site or even view it??

You were asked to view a video? Really? By whom? The Pope? Billy Graham? Believer?

So let me get this straight. You are now separating religion from god. I see. In your last OP, where you assigned all us atheists to Gehenna (is that the metaphorical Gehenna meaning death or the hot place? I want to dress appropriately), you also stated that there was a 'true faith.'

Now the important question. Are those who believe in god in your true faith? Or is it just the xtian god and his baby boy that gets identified as the true faith? What about the myriads of gods in Hinduism, Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva? Islam's god Allah? Moksha of Jainism?

Or is the true faith only reserved for Believer and its followers? Do the Hindus, Jains, Buddhists, etc. also get thrown into Gehenna along with us atheists? We are talking about several billion people, so your response is meaningful. We got to alert a whole lot of people if you don't approve of their religion or their god.

• Believer
    Believer

DJS wrote:

Believer,
    Didn't you say a couple of days ago you would never post again on this site or even view it??

Nope. Never said that.

You were asked to view a video? Really? By whom? The Pope? Billy Graham? Believer?

I was asked by StartingOver.

So let me get this straight. You are now separating religion from god. I see. In your last OP, where you assigned all us atheists to Gehenna (is that the metaphorical Gehenna meaning death or the hot place? I want to dress appropriately), you also stated that there was a 'true faith.'

Yes, I am able to separate religion from God and, yes I do believe there is a difference between blind faith and true faith. But as for the Gehenna comments, that wasn’t me. You’ve got me confused with someone else.

Now the important question. Are those who believe in god in your true faith? Or is it just the xtian god and his baby boy that gets identified as the true faith? What about the myriads of gods in Hinduism, Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva? Islam's god Allah? Moksha of Jainism?

You’re confusing faith with religion.

Or is the true faith only reserved for Believer and its followers? Do the Hindus, Jains, Buddhists, etc. also get thrown into Gehenna along with us atheists? We are talking about several billion people, so your response is meaningful. We got to alert a whole lot of people if you don't approve of their religion or their god.

Again, the Gehenna comment was not from me.

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

For me, it's not about ridiculing believers, or about being an atheist. After being burned so many times by the religion I escaped from, I don't want to have to deal with pushy religious types.

To many of us, believing in NO god makes more sense. Here's an illustration: It's kind of like one camp believing in a round Earth, and another camp believing in a flat one. Of course the round Earth people are going to roll their eyes at the flat Earth people, they know better because they've seen the Earth from space. Science is behind it. On the other hand, the flat Earth people are motivated by their faith in a book written during a time of scientific ignorance.

This isn't a place for people to declare their religious faith. It's a place for ex cult members to get together and connect...GodDamn, we just got out of a fucked up cult. Don't be so surprised that many of us have turned against religion and so called faith. Don't be surprised that we react the way we do.

So now you that you know many of us here don't want to be around pushy religious ideas or have them thrown in our faces, will you continue on your pulpit?

TB-

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

And Believer once again ducks and dodges DJS without even having the balls to answer the question. No wonder we tire of the endless preaching and then when the rubber hits the road there isn't a straight answer. Back to the OP, though you failed to address my original point, what justification is there for you to pick and choose only the GOOD teachings of Jesus and completely disregard the ruinous and destructive teachings of this man.

It does not harm myself or anyone else and I can’t see why others would find these simple teachings offensive.

Matthew 25:41New International Version (NIV)

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Your teachings of Jesus condemn me to fire, Gehenna, whatever straw you are splitting today. How would this NOT be offensive to anyone who doesn't regard Jesus the same way you do??

• DJS
    DJS

Believer,

Thanks for halfway responding. Ucantnome made the 'last post' comment. I was in error. However, in your second OP you stated this:

"Jesus condemned the Pharisees because 'they traverse land and sea to make one proselyte and then made him a subject of Gehenna more so than themselves.’ At first I wondered what that meant but watching the progression of many exJWs evolve or devolve from blind faith to no faith seems to be the answer. Of course there are many who evolved from blind faith to true faith but those believers are relatively quiet here. So I guess the other reason I keep checking in, I must confess, is like the fascination of watching a train wreck. You really hope no one is seriously injured, but you just can't help looking!"

You clearly equate us atheists to those with no faith and Gehenna. No amount of moon walking can get you out of that Ms. Jackson.

Also, please answer my question about whether the gods of Islam, the Hindus, the Jains (who are some of the most decent people) are also not of the 'true faith' as you call it and whether they too are destined for the same fate of Gehenna.

By your response you seem to be saying all of these people, numbering in the billions, have a religion but no faith.

Please clarify. I don't want to Improperly assume you just condemned billions of innocent decent people to everlasting destruction with the likes of me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit