I've been robbed

by wasasister 42 Replies latest jw friends

• wasasister
    wasasister

No, actually, I was corrected by the friendly police officers who responded to my 911 call. I was burggled. (Did I even spell that right?) Robbed implies that I was forced at gunpoint or something.

What happened was this: I came home from work, as usual, around 5:45PM. Stayed in my car listening to the end of a tune, then unlocked the two locks on my front door - one doorknob, one deadbolt. Something was strange...a small electronic keyboard was setting in the middle of my living room floor and I assumed my married daughter - the one with a key to my house - had gotten it out of the place where it is kept, an upper shelf in my bedroom closet. In the miliseconds this took to register, I began to wonder why she would want it, or why she would leave it where it was. Then, I noticed the back slider was wide open, as well as a window on the second story.

Oh...my...god! Stuff was really gone. A person or persons unknown had entered from an upper story window (must have needed a ladder) and ransacked my house. Further inspection revealed the worst: all electronics gone, save for an older VCR and the TV's, probably too heavy to carry. My computer was tossed, but left. Scanner, printer, speakers, all gone, cables dangling like forlorn umbilical cords. The back deck slider left wide open, but the cat - by some miracle - had not escaped or been hurt. My mattress had been tipped, all my dresser drawers pulled out and turned upside-down. My closet ransacked. My daughter's room same deal.

Probably most upsetting of all was my jewlery box.

Folks, I don't own much nice stuff. A few pieces of mostly sentimental value, but it ain't the crown jewels. I had some things belonging to my mother, a few cherished gifts which cannot be replaced, an engagement diamond which meant something at one long-ago time, two Valentine candies given to me by a friend who is gone now, a pair or two of fairly valuable earrings.... But that little velvet box contained the material treasures of my life. A seashell from a special trip to the ocean, theater ticket stubs, a cocktail napkin from an obscure first date... None of this can be replaced by my homeowners insurance.

I feel violated and angry. Now that the police have left, fingerprint dust all over my home, I am left with the disrupted shards of what "they" did. With the windows and doors now securely locked on this hot summer night, I swear I can smell "them". The musky goat-like odor of young males. I can't sleep in my bed which they touched.

I know, I know. This could have been much worse and in many ways, I am lucky. I wasn't home, wasn't harmed, they didn't smash and break...only took. I'm sorry to complain, but I've been robbled (sorry, Burggled) of my special things. I hate the bastards that did this. A DVD player is easy to replace, the mementoes of my life are gone forever.

Thanks for listening.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Ohhh sweetie, I'm so sorry. The basterds!!

I too keep all sort of stuff as memories, litlle things without any value, except the value they have to me. I'd hate it if they got lost somehow. But the momeries aren't in those objects, they are in your mind, and so you haven't really lost them. Small comfort, I know... I'd be ranting and raving if it happened to me.

((((Wasasister))))

-

And the world shall tremble in the wake of the Blue Bubblegum
    Dutch District Overbeer

• nilfun
    nilfun

So sorry to hear this! Just awful (((Wasasister)))

• NEWWORLDSLACKER
    NEWWORLDSLACKER

Hi Wassa ,Im sorry to hear that happened to you (((hugs))) i know from personal experience that its not just the belongings but the thought of somone invading YOUR home . its a tough experience , I wish you luck with the police , you never know.

oh by the way Remember me from way back ?

hope to chat with ya sometime

NwS

• Panda
    Panda

Wasasister, I just read this post and I amso very very sorry you have to deal with the feelings of loss. Theives, assholes what is wrong with these young guys? They can pick their way through the electronics and disconect and they can't look in a jewlry box and think "I'll only get $2.00 for this" and leave it? And do these guys ever get caught? Not that you'll ever know or ever get your stuff back.

Again I'm sorry this happened to you and your family.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Oh our dear ((wasa))

Kate and I will call you tomorrow.

Craig & Kate

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Wasa, it's okay. You're all right and that's the most important thing.

Having said that, I understand. We were married about a year when our apartment was burgled (robbed? whatever) and I felt violated. Just the thought of someone being inside and pawing over what is ours is just so wrong. I don't know how your police were, but we got some fat old cop who didn't give a damn. Really irritating.

Reading your account, the part that hurt most is the sentimental treasures. I have some things that are worthless, except to me. The thought of losing them is painful. Just know I am so sorry.

Chris

• Maverick
    Maverick

Back in 1995 my then wife walked in on two young boys ransacking the house. It was the middle of a weekday, early afternoon. She screamed and ran out the front door they screamed and ran out the back! Two neighbor boys, college age, heard her scream and took off after them. The boys caught one of them. The police knew him well and they knew who is buddy was. The police took the wife over to his alleged accomplices house and the wife ID'ed him. The criminals mother came out screaming that her baby was going to have to go BACK to the Juvenile Wellfare Center, like it was my wifes fault! The burglars had stacked everything on our jazzuci, which sat in a screened in room. We got everything back. Still, the little low-lifes trashed the house, poured beer in the drawers, dumped all the food out of the frig, broke things and we were just heart sick! We had a monitored alarm system installed before the week was out.The two burglars had long arrest records and the oldest was 16! They were ordered by the court system to reimburse us for the ruined food, we got two checks for $14.00, We took the money and talked about going on a cruise...ya right!

Thank god you were not home, or walked in on them! You will feel "creepy" for a while, this is normal. Counceling is not a bad option. I am truly sorry for the suffering you are going through! Maverick

• obiwan
    obiwan

I'm really sorry to hear this Wasa. I know about those little things, especially from your mother. Tell ya what, if you want to, I'll let you barrow my German Sheperd, he'll take a bite outta crime.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

(((((((((((((((((((((wasasister)))))))))))))))))))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit