Fighting about college

by cognac 15 Replies latest jw friends

• pronomono
    pronomono
    I can't say enough how thankful I am that I went to college. I hope your nephew gets the same opportunity, one way or another. My mom wasn't too happy about me going, but my dad supported me fully. He agrees with the JWs on a lot, but not on their views of education. College doesn't guarantee a good future, but it gives you a great foundation to build on. Your nephew is lucky to have you looking out for him.
  • KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

I'm sorry to hear that. How long before he graduates? Is there still time to reason with his mom?

I had to address this issue from many angles with my husband over our son's last year of high school before he was open to the idea of it. It was almost too late to start the application process for acceptance after graduation.

If there's time maybe she can open up to the idea of respecting his choice. As Cappytan stated, be there for him, he may need your support.

Sometimes it becomes more about the parent and how they feel it makes them look as a JW then what the child really wants. I had to keep emphasizing to my husband that it was our son's life and he had to live it as well as needed to be in a position to support a family without relying on us. I also said things like, everyone is not pioneer material.

I had to talk with my son privately and let him know that, no matter what anyone else has to say, that i respect and support his decision.

We even had family tell us that we made the wrong decision, and that Jehovah's holy spirit wouldnt be with him.

It just breaks my heart, the control this religion has people's personal lives.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    There is something very, very wrong about discouraging post-secondary education. It is an obvious sign of a cult that discourages education which enables a human being the ability to think.
  • TheListener
    TheListener

Cognac, can you help by showing your nephew how to look for scholarships online? Also, his high school probably has lots of scholarship information and most high schools use a website that keeps track of their SAT scores and lets them search for potential schools. Maybe you can convince his mother to fill out the free FAFSA form which would help him quality, maybe, for financial aid.

You're a great aunt but it's really unfortunate that his mother's desire to keep him away from college may put more work on you if you decide you can help out.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

So what you are saying is that your nephew is smart, AND gay? Something tells me he needs to get out of Dodge, and quick, before he's "discovered" and the pitchforks (JC) come for him.

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

I wonder if he hangs out over at the exjw sub-reddit? There are lots of people who are in a similar situation. He is lucky to have you in his life.

@TheListener
    Cognac, can you help by showing your nephew how to look for scholarships online? Also, his high school probably has lots of scholarship information and most high schools use a website that keeps track of their SAT scores and lets them search for potential schools. Maybe you can convince his mother to fill out the free FAFSA form which would help him quality, maybe, for financial aid.

YES! He will understand that this is his ticket to freedom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit