Fighting about college

by cognac 15 Replies latest jw friends

• cognac
    cognac

My nephew is a sweet, smart, thoughtful person. He wants to go to college.

Normally, a mom would be proud to have a son like this.

Nope, not a friggin JW mom. Apparently, he's being selfish to both her and Jehovah. She said she wouldn't support him and that he can't.

Cripes, what is she going to do when he gets his first boyfriend???

Was having such a great day too til BAM, more JW psycho'ness is brought to my attention... Ugh... Poor kid...

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

this sucks Cognac....something that would be a no brainer for a normal person or family.

i was thinking something similar earlier....my youngest son wants to do halloween this year or do a birthday, but NO! my wife blows a gasket. something so simple, a no brainer for normal people.

for this reason and many more....i hate this cult. it has ruined my family and marriage.

i really don't know what i am going to do.

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Be there for him. He may need you if he wants to pursue his dreams.
  • cognac
    cognac

For Halloween, can you do that hide and seek game with the candy?

For birthdays, can you do a happy day for your kid?

I have young kids too, I snuck around a lot. Of course, it would cause arguments and him ratting me out. But, it also helped bring things to a head when we saw what tbe other person was willing to do.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Some people are jealous or threaten by people by their follow members pursuit of higher education.

The WTS has had a long history of demeaning higher education by individuals, claiming these ones are selfish and not putting Jehovah's Kingdom Interests first and foremost in their lives.

A pursuit of higher education actually creates shame onto some devout JWS particularly from other family members. .

• millie210
    millie210
    cognac
    Cripes, what is she going to do when he gets his first boyfriend???

Maybe that will help her (by necessity) to put college in perspective?

At some point we all have to become our own person. She is going to have to come to terms now or later, seems like.

• pepperheart
    pepperheart
    does he know what he would want to study at college
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Well, what happens when his qualifications are needed in the community one day?

What If he becomes a doctor and saves her life one day?

Wonder how she would feel about his college and university qualifications then!

• millie210
    millie210
    Its nice that he has you as an aunt Cognac.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I feel for this boy. In my wife's family, they had the opposite problem.

My nephew had been attending the meetings off and on until high school, then his mother got reinstated and took him to meetings very regularly. To try to squash his thoughts of attempting to get an athletic scholarship, his mother had a pioneer elder show special attention to him. (Nothing weird or sexual- the pioneer got to count a lot of time, I am sure that was his motive.) So the nephew got baptized before graduation.

Anyway, the nephew graduates high school and was working at the mall in the shoe store. When pressed for his goals, he said he wanted to pioneer and keep working at the shoe store until Bethel would take him. The mother and grandparents (all JW) and many others including my JW wife were very upset at that. They knew Bethel laid off in the past and they knew a young man (especially a young black man) practically needed a trade or a degree.

I laughed and sighed at the same time. I said to them, "Isn't this what you wanted?" They knew I was mocking a bit.

Anyway, he never got called to Bethel. He never got motivated to take any college or trade classes. He still has that job and pioneers and lives at home with no car in a semi-rural area where you need a car.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit