What would be a good age to die?

by Joker10 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Makena1
    Makena1

I guess I am still too young to be thinking about death (turned 48 couple of months ago), however, I am reminded on a daily basis that my body is aging. More lines on my face, I do not recover as quickly from working in the yard and other physical exertion, etc etc.

On the otherhand, having a more mature outlook on life in general, eating better, exercising etc., I am enjoying life more now than ever before. When "older age" and sickness become a real problem, I will have to re-examine all things. My father and his parents had decent health up until their early 80's. (grandfather passed at 92, grandmother at 99, father at 89) Hopefully that is some indication that I have at least 30 good years left. Factor in better medicine, replacement parts over the next 30 years, one could conceivably enjoy life into their 100's.

A grade school friend, Neenah Ellis, wrote a book based on her interviews on NPR with people who were still leading productive lives after turning 100. Here is a link to review of the book. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0609608428/102-0943814-9037713?v=glance&vi=reviews

Finally, the topic of your thread reminded me of an Indian "saying" found in lots of old movie Westerns: Today is a good day to die. Putting that phrase in the search engine yielded this essay:

During the pre-Vietnam war era, American youths grew up on a steady diet of westerns. White actors would paint themselves red, and say “how” and “firewater,” and then dance around a bonfire like novices from an introduction to modern dance class.

At dawn, the proud warrior chief (with a Gold’s Gym physique) would mount his painted pony; point his spear at the noble cavalrymen and peaceful white settlers and say, “Today is a good day to die. We attack!"

Naturally, we assumed that the chief was saying, “let’s kill and butcher as many white eyes as we can before we all die like good braves.” Whereupon, the chief would lead his howling braves into a hail of Winchester bullets and they would all die like lemmings marching off a cliff. No wonder self-respecting American Indians refused to act in these early western action films and TV programs.

But did American Indians ever say, “Today is a good day to die”? Yes they did, but their meaning was different because it was spiritually profound. What they meant is: If this is to be my day of death, I know in my heart that I am at peace with those whome I love, and that I have achieved many if not all of the important goals of my life.

Therefore, the differences between the ersatz TV-Indian version and the real version are honest introspection and spiritual preparedness.

As a country, we’ve blinded ourselves to the fate of the dying as thoroughly as we have to the real meaning of the phrase, “Today is a good day to die."

Proof of this, is the fact is that while 3/4th of all Americans say they’d rather die in their own beds, 3/4th of all Americans actually die in a hospital bed.

Like the TV westerns of yesterday, America is consuming a steady diet of misconception about death and dying and it causing grief and crisis for the terminally ill as well as their loved ones.

All best,

Makena

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

I don't know ... I won't have the choice anyway ... Unless I getting tired of this world earlyer

• happyout
    happyout

I think age is the wrong determining factor. If later today I got into a horrible accident, and was going to live but either in agonizing pain or as a complete vegetable, then 39 (my current age) would be a good age to die.

My grandmother is 93. She is in relatively good health, has all her mental faculties, lives indepently in a retirement village, and has a good life. If I can be like that, I would live to 100.

It's all about quality of life.

Happyout

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

*sob* I'm worried about my friend Gumby! *wipes snot on sleeve* Please accept Jesus... please!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

• Satanus
    Satanus

*laughing at six*

I bet gumby already did accept cheeses. Can a guy survive in a pentle church for 7 yrs without doing it? I know that i accepted cheeses, for what ever that's worth

I would like to die before i lose my marbles and bowels, and start drooling while staring vacantly at the tv. On the other hand, if you can't remember the previous day or who you are, then each day is a new life, right?

SS

Ps, wait a minute, doesn't tv do things like that to people now?

• shotgun
    shotgun

I don't want to die as long as Hamas and sixofnine continue making me LOL....

I think maybe I'd want to die when I stop really living.....I've seen people I love die from cancer..it was terrible how they suffered.

If I could stay healthy all I would want is to die before my daughter,. because I don't think I could bare to see her die.

• KGB
    KGB

sixof nine, you are one sad case of a human being, dont you wish you had a friend that thought that much about you but with your sorry ass attitude I can see you dont have many real friends do you ? You man are a worthless piece of ####

• gumby
    gumby
    I'm just sad that some of you here I will never meet because you will not have that same promise especially my friend Gumby......

Thanks for the condolences old bud sixer

KGB,

I wished/wish as much as anybody else here that when I die.....I will not exist for eternity. I think if everyone were honest, and life is not now truely the shits for them......they would also want to live forever if they could be happy. I don't know if life exist beyond this life ....and neither does anyone else for absolute sure. I hope there is. I hope either their is a loving God, or a higher being, or anything that cares for us and loves us. Problem is.....I have no evidence and cannot figure out WHERE a loving carekeeper would be. Everywhere I turn for evidence of at least a bible God proves to the negative........and any other God is a toughie too.

Man NEEDS an answer to his dilema. Does man have a spiritual part of his brain that tells him there is something else? A pastor who develops Parkinsons desease doesn't even have a clue a God exists. Did a god part of his brain exist?

Point is.....man has ALWAYS believed in something ..... yet no man....or girl.... has ever proved his/her God exists.

Gumby

Gumby

Gumby

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Well, don't say I didn't give you a chance, Gumby..you,,,,,you... you resistor! I'll laugh with my fellow christians while your haughty soul cries in agony as the flames of hell consume you, you worthless piece of pound sign X 4!

This, my fit only for destruction friend, is the way to go:
    Connie Douglas Reeves: 101-year-old was legendary cowgirl 09:39 PM CDT on Wednesday, August 20, 2003
    Associated Press
    SAN ANTONIO – Legendary cowgirl Connie Douglas Reeves has
    died at the age of 101 after being thrown from her favorite horse, Dr Pepper.
    Ms. Reeves, who taught more than 30,000 young girls
    to ride at Camp Waldemar near Hunt, died Sunday, 12
    days after the fall. She died of cardiac arrest at a
    hospital in San Antonio, said George Anne Elmore, whose
    family owns the camp northwest of San Antonio.
    "She'd been telling us all summer that she was going to
    go off a horse, and she and Dr Pepper had talked about it,"
    Ms. Elmore told the San Antonio Express-News. "After she
    fell, she told us he'd just retired her a little early."

She rode in the inaugural parade of the National Cowgirl
    Museum and Hall of Fame last year when it moved to Fort Worth.
    She was inducted into the hall in 1997 and was its
    oldest living member.

Born in Eagle Pass, she was an infant when her
    mother put her atop a horse for a photograph.
    "I was sitting on a horse before I could sit up by
    myself," she said last year.

Her family moved to San Antonio when she was 16. She
    graduated from Main Avenue High School and Texas Woman's University.
    Ms. Reeves studied law at the University of Texas at
    Austin, but when the Depression came, she took a job
    as a teacher at her old high school.

She became a riding instructor at Camp Waldemar for
    Girls in 1936, where she met Jack Reeves, former rodeo
    star, trick rider and keeper of the camp's horses. They
    married in 1942. He died in 1985.
    Ms. Reeves retired as head riding instructor at the age of
    80, but she continued to teach.

"Always saddle your own horse" became her life motto and
    is repeated almost every time her name is mentioned.

She is survived by six nieces and six nephews. A memorial
    service will be at 6:30 p.m. Friday at the Camp Waldemar stables.

DallasNews.com
    The Archives

Archives: More information on this or other topics from The Dallas Morning News.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit