Why it takes a long time to bring a religious cult down.

by pistolpete 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pistolpete
    pistolpete
    I think the first thing to consider is that it takes a while for Humans to wake up to the Truth. This is not just a jw thing.

Around 1600 AD, Galileo challenged the Catholic Church's long held view that the Earth was the center of our Universe. This resulted in Galileo’s trial and in the end Galileo was forced to recant his theories and was sent to house imprisonment. Galileo never again spoke about the theory.

Finally, in 1992, spacecraft had been launched on its way to Jupiter, the Vatican formally and publicly cleared Galileo of any wrongdoing. It took about 400 years for the Church to admit they were wrong.

My jw uncle who was 40 years old in 1995 told me that he knew something was up in the year 1995 when a Watchtower magazine made a hint mention of a change in the generation that would not die. He said they were now slyly changing the word “Generation” to mean something else. But they didn’t elaborate too much. He called the Circuit Overseer who was a close friend and the CO also caught the implication of what was happening but he told my uncle to wait and see if more new light would come out in the months to follow.

My uncle wrote a letter to the Society and ask what they meant in the magazine by generation and they gave him the same answer as the CO, which was to wait on the faithful slave as they would give more new light in the months to come.

So my uncle waited. And waited, And waited.

It was not until 2008 ----some 13 years later and my uncle was now 53 years of age, that new light was printed saying that "As a class, these anointed ones make up the modern-day "generation" of contemporaries that will not pass away "until all these things occur."

So my uncle did the same thing as before, called the CO, wrote the Society and both told him to wait on new light

Two years later 2010, my uncle was now 55 years old and another change came that the lives of the anointed who were on hand when the sign began to become evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation. Again my uncle Waited for more information.

Then in September 2015 my uncle finally turned 60 years of age, and was now considered “Elderly” by the young jws. He heard the JW Broadcast on jw.org explained that the generation included any anointed that Overlapped with Frederick William Franz. (They extended the end to another 80 years.😩)

At 60 years of age my Uncle found himself in this predicament. Born in the Religion, pioneered, served as MS then elder all his life, worked odd jobs all his life, and now the generation that would not die, - would die which meant----HE WOULD DIE!😩

At this point my uncle went through a mental breakdown for about a year. (which I didn’t know at the time) But now I know the whole story.

By this time my uncle had no choice but to stick it out and hope Jehovah would fix this mess.

2020, my uncle turned 65 and the pandemic closed all kingdom halls and stopped field service worldwide. My uncle stepped down as an elder, does not support the WT financially, and is officially PIMO.

2022, my uncle will get his first Social Security check in a few days. He will be 67 years old.

1969 AWAKE said “if you are a young person you will have to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things”.

Who knows how many jws are in the same shoes as my uncle. In the organization but as a PIMO and not as a true believer.

My uncle says the most he will be around is perhaps another 30 years if he is lucky and covid doesn't kill him.

In 30 years we will have a clearer picture of whether the Watchtower will survive or become a small religious cult of a few thousand believers.

It seems like it takes a while to bring down a religious cult but NOT REALLY.

What really happens is that 30 years is a life time for many. If a person is Born in, and he does all he can to be loyal to "Jehovah" and at 30 (1st stop at maturity) he becomes an elder, it only takes 30 more years and he becomes a senior.

Too late to leave at that point and lose your family, you network, and your hope.

These are the ones that will not leave. They will die in the organization whether they are true believers or not. Maybe somehow God will work it all out---they hope.

But what's the point of leaving at this point. The best part of your life is gone, the Watchtower used it all up, and nothing you do will restore your youth.

It's not that it takes long, it's that life is so short.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Maybe somehow God will work it all out---they hope.

Or..........hopefully they (GB) are right about the resurrection and they will be brought back to life in Paradise without knowing they had been dead for (who knows how many) years. And if not, well........they're just dead and none of it will matter.

"Even if none of it is true, it's still the best way of life!" (™)

The greatest revenge is living a happy and successful life!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Cults are tenacious.

Even the most intelligent people can be subject to mind control.

You have an organization which has been flip-flopping doctrines for over 140 years. A sucker is born every minute.

• Overrated
    Overrated

As A Born In, I learned that "The Truth" is a oxymoron made up by interwoven lies and just downright bull. And gullible people will mope this up for this greedy Real Estate Corporation that is behind a religion for tax purposes. No longer gets my support or even my respect. And I long for the day it falls!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''And I long for the day it falls!''

Maybe it is already. As Lloyd Evans says, ' a trainwreck in slow motion'

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The Methodist church in the UK has been in decline for over a century. Take a look at this graph.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QgJmaH8CpNI/WCzENT-NmjI/AAAAAAAAAhQ/4ZsjA1Zjs6YKt0PrQzSjz2VZUcgUEJnHACEw/s1600/methdatafit.jpg

They peaked at just under 900,000 members around 1920. Even after a century of decline they have still not completely disappeared. The last data point on the graph shows Methodists at around 225,000 in 2010. They have continued to decline since then, and they numbered 173,000 as of 2018. If they continue on the same trajectory, they will probably disappear sometime before 2050. (In reality it is likely they will a amalgamate with the Church of England before the last member leaves or dies.)

Contrast that graph of Methodist decline with Jehovah’s Witness growth over the past 40 years.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NWwK2bj9YBEgFXBc-SS5MAvf8JHVqn0W0y3z6z3gK7I/pubchart?oid=1085909072&format=image

So how long might it take for Jehovah’s Witnesses to disappear? Unlike many churches, Jehovah’s Witnesses are still growing. They haven’t even begun to decline yet!

Therefore, talk about the demise of the Jehovah’s Witness religion seems somewhat premature to put it mildly.

The generation teaching was abandoned in 1995 and was a disappointment for many. Yet Jehovah’s Witnesses have nearly doubled since 1995. Most current Jehovah’s Witnesses were not even baptised when the old generation teaching was still in effect.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I to agree with slim. I think the JWs have done better than most in the present environment.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete
    slimboyfat

So how long might it take for Jehovah’s Witnesses to disappear?

That’s a question that’s impossible to answer. Reason being is because the disappearance of any religion will be the result of many factors.

For one thing, in the USA, a non-profit corporation can’t just close its doors legally.

There are complex and lengthy procedures that a non profit corporation has to go through in order to close it’s doors.

Here is a basic outline on the steps that the Watchtower would have to take in order to shut down.

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/how-do-you-shut-down-a-nonprofit-2501889

From a economic point of view, people like the Governing Body who don’t have to work for a living as long as the Non-Profit Watchtower stays intact, it would behoove them to do everything they can to stay legal and operating until the very last dollar. As long as there is enough monies coming in to support them individually, they will not close down the Organization.

I mean if I owned a non-profit Corporation that was making Billions, and finally it started crashing and came to the point where it was only making ONE million a year. I would not close it down because ONE million a year is enough to keep me from going out and having to work.

What will happen “Eventually” is that the Watchtower Organization will take its place among the 40,000 plus Christians Sects that already exist and continue to exist because they have (followers/ believers) who are willing to support them with monies.

I am sure that for the next several decades the Watchtower will undergo ‘Ups and Downs” in membership.

But it will never have the glory it had when it was necessary to have two day Kingdom Hall built every other weekend.

• TD
    TD

I'm a little more pessimistic, I guess

In 1995 the "Generation" was redefined to be the "wicked" who take no note of the sign of the end

In 2008 the "Generation" was redefined to be the "Anointed" which was nearly a 180 degree about-face.

In 2010 the "Generation" was redefined to be overlapping generations of the "Anointed" since 1914.

It would be nice if the average JW understood that four (Counting 1942) understandings of a pivotal scripture in less than twenty years is not "new light." It's incompetence and ineptitude on the part of the leadership.

It would be nice if the average JW understood the anachronism in the leadership's abandonment of typology vis-à-vis the Olivet.

It would be nice if the average JW understood the semantic legerdemain at work in these explanations.

Hell, it would be nice if the average JW even understood that there were in fact four separate explanations.

I'm about the same age as your uncle, Pete, and I watched my own relatives become disillusioned later in life. One of them was actually quite high in the JW hierarchy. It made no difference.

Don't misunderstand though. I really hope you're right. Maybe the "escaped mouse syndrome" of the pandemic (i.e. A perfectly tame mouse will become wild very quickly outside of his cage.) will push things over the edge this time.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete
    TD

I watched my own relatives become disillusioned later in life. One of them was actually quite high in the JW hierarchy. It made no difference.

Isn't that sad, I had this kind of "Pain" in my stomach or heart, whatever you want to call it, when I saw them wasting their life and I was literally helpless in being able to help them.

I have always wanted to help them "SEE", but I'm was not able to penetrate their wall.

It was so frustrating. Eventually I left them alone and the years passed by. I did my own thing and now many of them are getting old and their hopes of never dying has been dashed to pieces.

It saddens me to see them this way. I wish I didn't care but I can't help it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit