We're going to impeach Trump . . . and make Mexico pay for it!
I have little doubt articles of impeachment will be drawn up on Trump within the next year or so. My only question at this point is what are they going to get him for?
Collusion with a foreign government to subvert an election?
Interfering with a federal investigation?
Violation of the emoluments clause?
Pay for play?
Breaking the US Foreign and Corrupt Practices Act?
Anybody care to guess how they think his presidency will turn out?
It won't happen unless the dems turn things around electorally, esp. in the mid-term elections. The republicans are not going to impeach their own.
Paul Ryan doesn't stand for anything - he's an invertebrate: no spine, held up artificially.
Impeachment isn't guaranteed for bad behavior, it's about political support. As long as the republicans value power and party over process and policy he's safe. Which means he's totally safe, because they have no real integrity.
As an Aussie ,I dont quite know what to make of Donald trump .He`s different thats for sure .He is not your usual politician ,he is primarily a business man with varying degrees of success if my sources are correct, with no previous experience in politics.
The reality is he is the duly elected president of the United States of America so surely he should be given the opportunity to prove his worth or not.
Because his approach is so unorthodox doesnt necessarily mean he is not up for the job and hopefully he isnt.
However time will tell
Someone I know made the prediction that President Trump will not last through the summer of '17.
There is one real political party in Washington D.C. The party of elitists. It seems that no elected officials will ever be held accountable for their illegal activities because it will expose the lot of them.
So long as the Republicans control the House and Senate, never gonna happen.
The House could conceivably swing to the Democrats in 2018, but it would be nearly impossible to swing the Senate in 2018. Without the Senate, an impeachment might be proposed by the House but would die in the Senate (as happened to Clinton, when was it? '98?).
Even if Dems control both sides in 2018, it may not happen. If Trump is so comically inept that he single-handedly gives both chambers to the Dems after just 2 years, it might be in their best interests to keep him bumbling along for 2 more years.
Two more years of Trump's foot-in-mouth disease might be enough to guarantee holding both chambers and getting a Dem president in 2020, especially if the Dem candidate is not named "Clinton".
What sir82 said.
It's better for the nation (U.S.) not to have Donald Trump impeached. That will make Mike Pence the president and that could be worse. Pence is a true believer - a radical conservative - and doesn't have the excess baggage that Trump does.
Reasons Trump could be impeached.
If his popularity drops further because of his ignorance of world affairs, his inappropriate remarks and noticeable self dealings impact the ability of the GOP in the House and Senate to be reelected they may decide to impeach him. If the Dems regain the House they will move to impeach....if they also regain the Senate it's a done deal.
1. If New sexual assault charges come forward.
2. Article III Section 3 of the Constitution defines 'treason against the United States' as 'adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort.' Evidence is mounting that Trump colluded with Russian operatives to win the 2016 presidential election."
3.Testifying falsely in a court of law.
4. Showing additional signs of mental illness.
5 Sharing classified information with his children.
6 The Emoluments Clause : If Trump and the Trump business are benefiting from certain self serving decisions Trump makes as President.
Those are all valid reasons to impeach.
But if the political will is not there, he could sell a nuke to ISIS on live TV and still not be impeached.
I am no fan of trump but some of your points are not causes for impeachment at all.
1. if new sexual assault charges come forward. President Trump can only be impeached for high crimes and misdemeanours that he commits while he is in office. He would have to commit sexual assault while he is in office for it to be an impeachable offence.
4. showing signs of mental illness is not a cause of impeachment. The constitution only prescribes for impeachment for high crimes and misdemeanours. The founders felt that if the people decide that a president isn't acting rationally then it is the duty of the voters to rectify that situation in the next election and for the people's representatives the Congress to provide checks on the Executive.
5. By absolute law, the President cannot violate the laws on releasing classified information. The President is in charge of classifying documents, he usually delegates that to departments, but it is his absolute right to classify or declassify information as he sees fit. If the President releases information he then declassifies it by the virtue of him releasing the information. It is sort of like an executive order, the Executive creates it so the Executive can break it which would, therefore, nullify the order.