New Armageddon date?

by neat blue dog 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    Looking at the most recent WT the study article focuses on the Jubilees. The made a separate box in the article to highlight the math behind Jubilees, and I'm wondering if they're trying to get people thinking and stir up the pot without actually making a false prophecy. For instance: Jubilees happened every 7 times 7 years. They give the starting date as 1424 BCE, so that means the 70th of these groups is coming soon, around 2026. Then when that fails, they can move on to 2034 (120 years since 1914) that has been brewing for a while.
  • Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

They only need to provide hints and some will run with it. And when the frenzied expectations fail, the organisation will say it carries no blame.

In the meantime it's a good way to hang on to the gullible, just as with the "any time now" rally.

Doug

PS. Did your calculation take account of the fact that there was no zero year?

• blondie
    blondie

Jubilee used in the past:

Creation day 7,000 years long

7th creation day 7,000 years long

6,000 years of human history 1975

1,000 years left to run in 7th creative day from 1975

so the end comes in 1975 so that the 1,000 years after contain the years for Jesus Messianic rule from heaven

6 years then 1 year sabbath: 6-1,000 year days, then 1-1000 year Messianic kingdom

etc jws can't even figure out the 1914 chronology

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Jesus says ... " Why dont these fuc..g idiots obey and listen to me when I said no one knows of the time ? "

Jesus_facepalm

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Doug said:

"They only have to provide hints and some will run with it"

In my recent experience things have changed since we were active. Dubs these days just dont seem to be that bothered . I spend some time with the locals both at the Hall and in occasional social conversations ( Just as a dutiful husband determined to keep the marriage alive)

I have not heard anyone speculating about dates or even wanting to talk about their faith . It all seems to be social and just getting work done. None of the enthusiasm and expectations that we once had.

I guess if you are going to stay in, that's how it has to be. The thinkers like us have left by now.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

blondie ,

if I remember correctly the I.B.S.A. the precursor to the JW religion with C.T.Russell as president ,first stated that the 6,000 years of human history finished sometime in the late 1880`s and the JW`s under president Nathan H. Knorr probably influenced by F. W. Franz adjusted the date to 1975 .

neat blue dog,

That makes a lot of sense and a typical way the WT/JW religion operates , you might well be on the money there.

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

It was counting jubilees that gave Rutherford his 1925 date, only he started from 1575 BCE. It's merely a case of pick a date, any date, to get the answer you want.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

BluesBrother is correct, JWs just don’t care any more. Endtime speculation used to be rife in the 1980s as I recall. It was a mainstream JW pastime to discuss how long a generation can be, how long between the creation Adam and Eve, “peace and security” prophecy fulfilment, and so on.

Now you just don’t hear it. I guess there are still a few eccentric JWs who continue to discuss these sorts of topics, but it’s not mainstream any more. Most JWs give every appearance of having given up trying to work out when the end will come. They just believe it will come in a general sense, if at all.

Bottom line is that Watchtower can’t rely on JWs taking a hint about Armageddon and running with it. If they want to generate significant interest in 2034, for example, then they are probably going to need to spell it out in explicit terms, which carries the risk of disconfirmation and ridicule, of course.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Well, bless 'em. It keeps the Jobos on their toes.

No Armageddon happened, even in 1975!!. It never will.

I suppose the gluttonous, paedophile protecting GovBod and their brown nosers like to throw ambiguous nonsense out there.

It stops the sheeple looking at 'apostate(tm)' websites.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Armageddon must be very near because the organization is planning another very large and expensive construction project back in New York!

Matt. 24:14 (slightly revised edition)

"and this good news of more construction projects will be financed in all the inhabited earth (by the worldwide 'brotherhood') for a witness to all the nations that jw's can build elaborate structures and then the end will come!"

just saying!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit