An interesting reasoning for the existence of God (from JW public talk)

by anointed1 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    On the other hand, however, these spiritual properties correspond exactly to the characteristics that distinguish the extremely puzzling and wondrous phenomena in the quantum world

Gibberish.

Whenever you see a theist using the word quantum you can safely ignore what follows.

Please define "spiritual".

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

That's an interesting rule. Does it apply to theists who are Nobel prize winning physicists too?

Antony Hewish "The ghostly presence of virtual particles defies rational common sense and is non-intuitive for those unacquainted with physics. Religious belief in God, and Christian belief... may seem strange to common-sense thinking. But when the most elementary physical things behave in this way, we should be prepared to accept that the deepest aspects of our existence go beyond our common-sense understanding."
  • anointed1
    anointed1
    WhatshallIcallmyself said: consciousness develops as the child gains experience and memories ….

Things start even before it is child. Just like an employer instructs his employees for performing various tasks, DNA instructs the cell. And you know very well that DNA is a multi-billion-lettered program telling the cell to act in a very detailed way exactly how the person's body should develop! Interestingly neuroscientists unwittingly add another dimension to the above process because they say our brain simultaneously processes an amazing amount of information and performs amazing tasks. The human brain not only processes more than a million messages a second but also weighs the importance of all this data, filtering out the relatively unimportant. This screening function is what allows us to focus and operate effectively in our world. Such a screening or discriminating function is characteristics of an immaterial reality behind brain. That is why when the life (the source of which is soul) leaves brain becomes a decaying, foul-smelling flesh/trash. That means brain is like the hardware of the computer and consciousness is like operating systems. Of course if hardware is faulty, operating system may or may not work. This explains why we find different degree of consciousness [which could also falsely be interpreted as evolution of consciousness]. This further explains why we see an intelligence behind the brain, which expresses itself as the ability to reason, to produce feelings, to dream and plan, to take action, relate to other people, seek a higher relationship …etc. This also explains why we have great thirsts, such as thirst for unconditional love and thirst for righteousness, which cannot be satisfied by any amount of wealth or fame!

• SkyGreen
    SkyGreen

Whether u agree or disagree with the point the speaker was making, I agree with the OP it was a nice way of looking at life in general. I like it when speakers use their own illustrations, so much more interesting that recycling something from the borg

• anointed1
    anointed1

yes SkyGreen, I was so deeply touched by this illustration that I was thinking about all these days till it got expressed in OP (as though I was pushed into posting it)

• stillin
    stillin

I'm always grateful for a speaker who puts himself into his talk instead of spewing out the same old stuff you've heard before.

There's plenty of mystery in the universe. The Witnesses want it to seem like they're the only ones who are on top of it all.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Universe is like a diary book with countless blank sheets. Yet only on one page [earth] is written something—something like a beautiful poem [life].’ What does this show? Owner decided to write on one page so that when others see blank sheets they should know that it takes a writer to do the writing. Whether he will do so with rest of the pages or not depends on the owner.

And you believe that crap? That doesn't make sense at all. Let's see:

Universe is like a diary book with countless blank sheets.

First, according to who? Second, this is based on the nonsense that the Earth is supposed to be the center stage of the entire universe. Need I say that every single piece of well established scientific fact contradicts that notion?

Yet only on one page [earth] is written something—something like a beautiful poem [life].

LOL! That coming from the same idiots who believe that the entire planet isn't worth preserving and needs a complete new system, including the elimination of natural selection in animals. Some poem.

Owner decided to write on one page so that when others see blank sheets they should know that it takes a writer to do the writing. Whether he will do so with rest of the pages or not depends on the owner.

Again, LOL! Where's the proof of that? That's just downright faulty logic. What relationship exists between a poet writing on a blank piece of paper and proof of the universe been created? What does one thing has to do with another.

About the "thinking" thing:

There are some thinking persons in an organization where thinking is banned.

This goes right to what I continue pointing out about how in denial many people in this forum are. Intelligence and capacity to think has nothing to do with indoctrination and brainwashing. In fact, many JWs are quite intelligent. That has nothing to do with falling into the hands of being indoctrinated. That happens based on what they feel, not on what they know.

If you look at it from that point of view, it can make more sense, but of course, that seems a little hard to do to many people (probably because they are too conditioned to not take a look at their own capacity to reason or to their own feelings).

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

That's a non-reason.

DD

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

anointed1 - "...There are some thinking persons in an organization where thinking is banned..."

True.

They usually end up here.

:smirk:

• steve2
    steve2

anointed1, I am pleased that you are so easily impressed!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit