What do People Mean Exactly By "Spirit" and "Spiritual"

by cofty 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty

Many people distance themselves from formal religion but say that they are a "spiritual" person.

Similarly theists talk about the "spirit" as if it is something that is self-evidently true.

I wonder if anybody would like to have a go at defining what they mean by these words?

Specifically can anybody define "spirit" by saying what it is rather than what it isn't.

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

I had this one out with a brother the other day. I havnt been to the meetings in some time and he said... you have lost your spirituality.

I asked him to explain what that meant. He put it like this: You dont go to meetings, go on field service, dont associate anymore with JW's.

I told him to reconsider what spirituality realy means. I put it like this: I still love reading the bible, particularly about Jesus Christ, i love talking to other about him, and i love doing Chirstian things for humans.

I may have missed something... but this is how i see it. :)

Timmy x

• cofty
    cofty

btt

Any theists want to have a go at explaining what they mean exactly when they talk about spirit?

How do you understand "spirituality" Timothy?

• mindseye
    mindseye

I'm not exactly a theist, but I consider myself spiritual, so I'll take a shot at it.

To me, spirituality is having a connection to something bigger than yourself, beyond your own ego. Eastern philosophy appeals to me in this regard, as it points to transcending your ego/self. IMO, spirituality is primarily an internal affair, what the Gnostics called "gnosis". Gnosis refers to enlightenment, rather than knowledge. Unlike rational knowledge, putting this state into words is difficult - as the Taoists put it, "the way" is beyond words, it is experiential. I often feel this way in nature, this "connectedness" - which causes me to relate to pantheism as well.

Spirituality ISN'T "works" and doctrine. One of the problems I always had with the witnesses is that they associated spirituality with mundane tasks like meetings, service, etc. To me, spirituality is about transcending these petty, ordinary tasks.

Spirituality isn't a laundry list.

• VM44
    VM44

This is a good topic.

What are "spiritial things"?

Things having to do with "spirits"

What are spirits?

God, Angels, Demons?

Or does "being spiritual" mean being concerned about things that do not have physical existence?

Such as "ideals", "motivations", "ethics", "purpose in life" and so on?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Gullible, self-righteous, confused, narrow-mided, zealous, misdirected, confounded, dangerous, hothead, irrational, godly?

• nicolaou
  • Walt Whitman
    Walt Whitman

Why limit the parameters of "so called" spirituality? After leaving the oppressive confines of the WTS, I believed I felt no "spirituality," even though I examined many churches and religions. Non-JW friends would reassure me that I was not "religious" but "spiritual." As an ex-JW, what did that mean? Because of my background -- I could feel no spirituality.

Then I discovered secular spirituality -- firstly, via, scholar Daniel Dennet. He said, "I have times when I am just transported with awe and joy and a sense of peace and wonder at whether its music or the arts or just a child playing ... . I think that people make a mistake of thinking that spirituality has anything to do with either religious doctrines or with immateriality or the supernatural. The world is a stunningly interesting and glorious place...."

According to one source, secular spirituality emphasized humanistic qualities such as love, compassion, patience, tolerance, forgiveness, contentment, responsibility, harmony, and a concern for others.

• talesin
    talesin

Nic, I just read yr posted link, and YES YES YES.

I would describe it as a feeling other than the 'physical, tangible'. Awe, reverence are good words,,, also, peace and joy,,,, that comes naturally from joining with nature or other folk or anything that gives one a feeling of 'bliss'.

t

• talesin
    talesin

Walt, sorry, I didn't read your post first! hehehe You said it!

one of my favorite quotes,, tis on my fb profile,,, Emerson *ahhhh, talk about bliss*

The sun illuminates only the eye of the man, but shines into the eye and the heart of the child. ~ Emerson

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit