Ozzie's Weekend Poll #60

by ozziepost 22 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day all,

Owyergoin? Today's been a blowy day on the east coast of Oz. Here's tonight's news report from Associated Press:

18:57 AEST Sun 24 Aug 2003
    Winds wreak havoc along coast

Strong winds have caused widespread damage along the state's eastern seaboard and in some inland areas. NSW State Emergency Services (SES) spokesman Peter O'Neill said the strong gale force winds were expected to continue, then become moderate overnight. "A lot of trees have come down, also branches have come down ... into yards, across roads, onto cars, (the winds have) brought down power lines, and we've also had a lot of house damage," he said. "We've had over 500 SES volunteers out, and they've been supported by the NSW Fire Brigade's firefighters. "They've been attending jobs from Shoalhaven in the south through Kiama, Wollongong, Shoal Harbour, right along the coastal areas of Sydney ... but we've also had a lot of reports of damage around the Orange/Bathurst area," he saidEarlier, one person was killed and two people trapped after a tree fell onto their car on Sydney's north shore. A NSW Ambulance spokeswoman said ambulance, police and fire crews were called at 2.10pm (AEST) to the incident on Memorial Avenue, St Ives. She said live wires were down at the scene. No further details were immediately available. Meanwhile, Victorian State Emergency Service (SES) volunteers responded to more than 700 calls for help as strong winds and heavy rain swept across the state. Most calls were from homes hit by flash floods and roof damage, according to the SES. More than 250 SES volunteers from 40 units answered emergency calls. The hardest hit areas were across Melbourne's south-east and the Mornington Peninsula. Meanwhile, two houses in Williamstown suffered extensive damage from large trees felled by the winds. Bureau of Meteorology senior forecaster Ken Dickinson said winds at the southern end of Port Phillip Bay reached 120kph, while 80mm of rain fell in Victoria's north-east. In the ACT, strong winds brought down powerlines and started a house fire in the Canberra suburb of Lyneham, police said. A householder was treated for mild shock, a police spokesman said. Wind was gusting at 50kph to 60kph when fire broke out in the roof of the Wattle Street house at 12.40pm (AEST), the spokesman said. "The fire was related to two powerlines that were brought down by the wind," the spokesman said. Firefighters attended but no damage estimate was yet available.

©AAP 2003

Mrs Ozzie and I attended a large 21st birthday party this afternoon in the Arabic community up in Sydney. Some spent their time holding on to the marquee supports!

Anyway, now it's time to seek shelter and reminisce for a while with a poll. How about that? We're 60 polls old today!!! Now that deserves a drink!

This weekend's poll question is:

How many unused magazines did you have at home?

1. None (I lied!)

2. None (I didn't get any!)

3. About 50.

4. About 100

5. Too many!

6. Bottom shelf of linen cupboard.

7. Bottom shelf of wardrobe.

8. The whole wardrobe! (Kept my clothes hanging on the door!)

9. In the recycling bin.

10. Filled my car boot.

11. Other (please detail!)

We're looking forward to reading your memories! Enjoy.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Hamas
    Hamas

11. I used to get a nice tidy sum for taking all my unused mags down to the recycling bin and getting cash for mags.

Who said donations were void !

BACK OF THE NET !

.... p.s not that they knew .... I simply signed them off on my report card muhuhahahahahahah

• Prisca
    Prisca
    7. Bottom shelf of wardrobe.

which contained about 50 mags. I never through them out until earlier this year, when I moved house. Now I only have ones for reference (such as doctrinal changes).

• blondie
    blondie

3. About 50

I would let it build up until that amount then take them to the KH when there was not a meeting (hubby had a key and code) and left them by the magazine counter. I had to keep from smiling when the magazine servant would complain about people leaving them. Eventually we cut back to just 1 each from studying and our files. Now that we haven't been there to pick them up for 6 months, I wonder if they cancelled our order or if there is a big stack; it would be about 50 by now.

Blondie

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I used to keep them and when enough accumulated I would put them at the laundromat or on people's doorsteps in a neighboring town that was not often canvassed by JWs.

• Soledad
    Soledad

about 100

every couple of months my mom would take them to nursing homes, doctors/dentists offices, laundrymats.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

12. >100, used them to start the woodstove in the winter time!

The first time I saw a sister in the congo do that, I was shocked! But now I love throwing away those <ick> rags when I see them in public.

j2bf

• Swan
    Swan

4. About 100

My mother would wait until October, roll them up in twos with a rubber band around them, and give them out at Halloween in lieu of candy. The poor kids didn't know what to think!

Then she reported them as placements on her Field Service Report.

Tacky! Tacky! Tacky!

Tammy

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

euwwwww Tammy, that is tacky!

• gumby
    gumby

4. About 100

I wonder how dramatic the figures would be if the society deducted all the magazines that went into the trash and deducted them? Would they have the worlds largest religious printing numbers as they have had at times?

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit