We told the Children!!

by 2escaped lifers 36 Replies latest jw friends

• pamkw
    pamkw

My oldest son was the same way when I decided not to go back. He was 11 then. I remember him saying "I never listened anyway." To this day that is what he says. He is 20 now. My youngest son was only 3 when I quit going. My mom has dragged him to a few meetings but he says they are boring, and as he can not sit still she always leaves early because of him. She finally gave up taking him behind my back. I was difinately harder on me than it was on my son. He is very smart and always seems to know what is going on before I do.

Pam

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

Wow...Stephanie and Brandon...you are an inspiration to us all! Such a thoughtful and patient and loving way to "break" the news to your children (plus you all got ice cream; add bonus points for that!). Kid's are a lot smarter and wiser than most adults give them credit for. Now that you will all be off the JW "treadmill"...your little family will be so much closer and even more loving than you already seem to be. And who knows what may happen with the grandparents? They just might take it a whole lot better than you think...perhaps they themselves have doubts about the org. too and you may be the catalyst in helping them out! THINK POSITIVE! (And...if the worst does happen and they decide on the shunning routine; I lost my mom, brother & sister when we left after more than 40 years in the org...and somehow I'm living through it and feel it is THEIR loss, not mine.) Many grandparents are NOT willing to give up the precious relationship they have with their grandchildren, borg or no borg.

Hang in there...Cathy L.

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

Wow talk about out of the mouth of babes!!!! I am soooo glad it went well for all of you. Welcome to the board and tell your kids we are all proud of them that they could see through all the BS when it took most of us most of our adult life.
    Leslie

• Joker10
    Joker10

If i were to be in my early teens and my parents would tell me what you just said to your children, I would certainly not be happy. Maybe cuz i had a personal bible study and didnt depend on my parents to teach me and instruct me. (My parents were smart to encourage me this way).

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Stephanie & Brandon, you've just done your children a huge favor! They no longer have "outcast" marked onto them. They can sing the national anthem, they can celebrate Christmas & Birthdays, they can date (when they get older).

Please let us know how the first birthday parties and Christmasses go!

• unique1
    unique1

AWESOME!!! Glad all went well. You would be amazed how many children are extremely happy when they hear they don't have to go to a meeting or out in field service any more. It is great. Sat. Morn cartoons at last!!!!

• 2escaped lifers
    2escaped lifers

Joker10 : Not sure which side you're coming from. I'm usually very perceptive, but I can't tell about your comments. Could you please explain a little more about your comments? Thanks, S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit