We told the Children!!

by 2escaped lifers 36 Replies latest jw friends

• UpAndAtom
    UpAndAtom

I remember an incident when I was only 3 years old. I won't bore you with the details, suffice to say I distinctly remember looking up at my Dad and thinking to myself, "He's lying to me" (a very innocent lie, but one none the less), "I will play along and pretend", I thought to myself. I can only remember that 15 second period in the whole of my my young life under 4 (I can remember everything from 5 and up).

It wasn't so much the events of that day, but the manner in which I had them. I was actually humouring my Dad at age 3. The way my voice sounded inside my head, the manner of actually thinking about consequences as a 3 yo. It was the first time I actually remember thinking!

My point is, you don't really know your children. Not on a deep level. Not in the subconscience realm. I applaud your actions!

• UpAndAtom
    UpAndAtom

You let your children see an R-rated movie?

Bad parents - bad parents - go to your room!

• Lutece
    Lutece

Great, you handled the discussion with the right attitude and they have to respect that, bravo!

My daughter was about that age (11) when I disassociated and although she would be considered a good little witness, she understood all the reasons behind my decision. She was sitting outside the elder meeting when I disassociated myself, but I knew she was listening in a little (the door was open and nobody else was in the hall that day.) When I walked out she gave me a high Five and told me she was relieved that we could finally get away from it, that she never felt comfortable hearing that her grandma and different ones wouldn't make it if they didn't turn to Jah, etc. She said she just knew that some things were wrong, but didn't know why she felt that way.

We tried not to have to big of grins on our faces as we walked past some witnesses going into the hall to get ready for service. I had made peace with the fact that several "friends" would not talk to me anymore and I was just relieved to have it over with. Good luck and sounds like you handled it very well, congrats!

Anne

• berylblue
    berylblue

Fantastic. I am so happy for you all.

• jimbob
    jimbob

What's the ol' Watchtower saying......"out of the mouth of babes".......well, that seems to be the case here. Glad to hear you broke away, and even better, that your children understand. Now you can get on with a normal life with your kids, and watch them grow up enjoying the things that they are supposed to and not have them feel like they are so different from everyone else. There's nothing better than leaving the borg as a family....I wish your family all the best!

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

Congratulations, Brandon and Steph!

• Panda
    Panda

Stephanie and Brandon, You are bright lights in the sky of parents. How wonderful to consider your children in your decision. You really did it!! Gosh I'm proud of you both for the way you bothered to explain to the kids, you let them reason along with you. How wonderful. I bet you were not ever typical jjw parents. No beatings with wooden spoons or holding your hand over your babies moths to shush them up. No arm twisiting or violent beatings. Nope, your kids were treated like children with loving parents. All kids should be so lucky.

One caution, beware the grandparents. Although with your kids understanding they might just explain the problems with liars in the WTS..

Congrats !!!!

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

first of all congrats and welcome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They wholeheartedly agreed, and began telling us about things that they had heard and read that didn't make sense to them, and just seemed plain incorrect. (Remember, they are 9 and 10!!

Aren't kids just incredible sometimes, just when you think they're not listening or paying attention, whamo !!!!!!!! they shock you.

Well done, you have a lot of courage, it's great that you got them out at a young age, they still have their whole life in front of them. Good luck in the future, it won't be perfect, but it will be wonderful, especially with no borg.

• 2escaped lifers
    2escaped lifers

WOW!!! Thank you everyone for such kind and caring comments!!!!! You don't know how much it means to us to hear such encouragement. We don't know anyone else in our area personally who has left the borg or has similar feelings toward the WTS, so for the past two years we've been each other's only confidant and support system.

It really means a lot to us to know that we are definitely not the only ones to go through all of this. When you've grown up all your life believing the lovely picture the WTS paints of "those on the outside" and the fate of "apostates", that they have "nothing else to offer", "only hate and malice", blah blah blah.... It is so REFRESHING to know that, yet again, they are full of $#!^.

Thanks again ALL!!!!!

Brandon and Stephanie

• Valis
    Valis

Good for your whole family! Have they told you what they want for Christmas yet?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit