Military Service Confusion

by Sea Breeze 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Can someone please call these three guys and tell them that the first gentile Christian was an active duty Roman military officer named Cornelius. These guys have been locked up for 25 years!

Paulos Eyasu, Isaac Mogos, Negede Teklemariam

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

You have to feel for those men.. banged up for 25 years, in a horrible place.- for doing nothing. Your question about Cornelius is a good one. I only know what the WT said..

Sept 1st WT 1986

Some may ask, ‘What of Cornelius, the centurion, and Sergius Paulus, the army-backed proconsul in Cyprus? Were not these men associated with the military?’ Yes, at the time they accepted the Christian message. The Scriptures, though, do not tell us what Cornelius and others did after their conversion. No doubt Sergius Paulus, who was an intelligent man and “astounded at the teaching of Jehovah,” would soon scrutinize his secular position in the light of his newfound faith and make a proper decision. Cornelius would have done likewise. (Acts 10:1, 2, 44-48; 13:7, 12) There is no record that the disciples told them what action they must take. They could see that from their own study of God’s Word.​“

• BelisemDeBelimakom
    BelisemDeBelimakom

This was the direction given to first century Christians

1 Corinthians 7:17-24 (NWT)

"Nevertheless, just as (Lord) has given each one a portion, let each one so walk as God has called him. And so I give this directive in all the congregations. Was any man already circumcised when he was called? Let him not undo his circumcision. Has any man been called while uncircumcised? Let him not get circumcised. Circumcision means nothing, and uncircumcision means nothing; what means something is the observing of God’s commandments. In whatever state each one was called, let him remain in it. Were you called when a slave? Do not let it concern you; but if you can become free, then seize the opportunity. For anyone who was called in the Lord when a slave is the Lord’s freedman; likewise anyone who was called when a freeman is a slave of Christ. You were bought with a price; stop becoming slaves of men. In whatever state each one was called, brothers, let him remain in it before God."

Cornelius was called while he was an active centurion, and was not asked to resign or leave this position. Consequently he might well have continued working at the military.
  • road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Do not add anything to the bible is the advice---so then tell and imply what it should have said.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Clearly an example of any man-made organization which can't be God-directed.

You have discrepancies, double standards, confusion and variances of what is said and where.

Resulting in wrongful imprisonment, untimely deaths and broken families.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Remember when Jesus was asked by soldiers what they needed to do? Jesus told them be be content with their military rations. That was it.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Excellent reference TBK.

Here's the reference in Luke 3: 14-
    And some soldiers were questioning him, saying, “And what about us, what shall we do?” And he said to them, “Do not take money from anyone by force, or accuse anyone falsely, and be content with your wages.”

Jesus basically said for them to be lawful, do their job and be don't stealing anybody's stuff. Compare this with the reaction a soldier would get if he attended a KH service in his uniform and asked what he needed to do to join their group.

A couple hundred years later an entire legion of Roman Soldiers happened to be Christian because they were recruited in an area around Thebes where there were many Christians. They were good soldiers doing their job, helping to keep law and order in the empire, content with their wages. They are remembered as the Theban Legion Martyrs.

They alone had the gall to stand up to Caesar when he was hunting Christians:

"You order us to seek out Christians for punishment. You do not now have to seek out others on this charge since you have us here confessing: We believe in God the Father maker of all and God his Son Jesus Christ…." (AD 286)

Maximillian ordered them decimated again and again until none were left.

This is also an excellent reference to the early deity of Christ belief.

• BelisemDeBelimakom
    BelisemDeBelimakom

Thank you See Breeze! Thank you truth_b_known!

Although in Luke 3:14 it is John the Baptist who is speaking, the idea remains the same: Jesus Christ nor apostles did not asked any officers (whatever their rank) to change/resign:

• Nicodemus, member of Pharisees, a ruler of the Jews (John 3:1)
    • Joseph of Arimathea, a reputable member of the Sanhedrin (Mark 15:43)

In fact, it was the same in the past, example from Elisha's days:

• Naaman, the army chief of the king of Syria (2 Kings 5:17-19)

Additionaly, the famous verse which is used by WT regarding military issue, Matthew 26:52, is clearly being used out of context. Why Peter was carrying a sword? Why did Jesus allowed swords and later commanded his disciples to arm themselves? Luke 22:36.

Barnes' Notes on Matthew 26:52

"However, the most satisfactory interpretation is that which regards it as a caution to Peter. Peter was rash. Alone he had attacked the whole band. Jesus told him that his unseasonable and imprudent defense might be the occasion of his own destruction. In doing it he would endanger his life, for they who took the sword perished by it. This was probably a proverb, denoting that they who engaged in wars commonly perished there."

• GodBeliever
    GodBeliever

"Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm.” Therefore Pilate said to Him, “So You are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say correctly that I am a king. For this purpose I have been born, and for this I have come into the world: to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to My voice.” Pilate *said to Him, “What is truth?”John 17:14‭, ‬17

"I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth."

John 18:36‭-‬38
    "For the word of God is living and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, even penetrating as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him to whom we must answer."
    Hebrews 4:12‭-‬13

"And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death: death on a cross."
    Philippians 2:8

"For you have been called for this purpose, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you would follow in His steps, He who committed no sin, nor was any deceit found in His mouth; and while being abusively insulted, He did not insult in return; while suffering, He did not threaten, but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously;"
    1 Peter 2:21‭-‬23

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist on the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Stand firm therefore, having belted your waist with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having strapped on your feet the preparation of the gospel of peace; in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."
    Ephesians 6:12‭-‬17

"If anyone is destined for captivity, to captivity he goes; if anyone kills with the sword, with the sword he must be killed. Here is the perseverance and the faith of the saints."
    Revelation 13:10

"Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, so that you will be tested, and you will have tribulation for ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life."
    Revelation 2:10

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

"Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will [a]bring judgment on themselves....

For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil". - Rom. 13:

Jehovah's Witnesses live a life in rebellion to authority. They rebel first and foremost against Jesus when they mock his sacrifice every memorial by disobeying his command to eat and drink "for the forgiveness of sins" (Mt. 26: 27-28)

Then, they rebel against their own government that God has allowed at this time when it suits their whims.

Although they dress up the outside of the product, the reality is that JW's live a life in near total rebellion against God and their fellow-man. "They bind up heavy loads on others". For these and other reasons, t
    hey are almost impossible to get along with.

Jesus called people like this white-washed tombs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit