Military Service Confusion

by Sea Breeze 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

Addendum (A history of Watchtower teachings on Military Service)

Watchtower teaching about Romans: 13: 1,2 over the years impacted Brothers and Sisters during wartime conscription. It landed the Directors in prison, European Bible Students in concentration camps, and a crisis for us during the Vietnam War under the rubric of “Conscientious Objection.”

I have discovered much misunderstanding on this point! It is easy to be confused- not just for rank-and-file JWs, but all the way at the top over a span of 100 years of teaching. There’s never any lack of certainty, confidence, or authority behind pronouncements from the Faithful Slave - but any human with the power to lead can do so and discover the “whispers” in their mind are susceptible to rollover.

Grappling with these issues, official pronouncements are always authoritative - but subject to change at any time. Or, as an older sister in our congregation liked to say, “It used to be true.”
    It comes down to TRUST and what that trust is based upon.

The original understanding is what mainstream Christianity taught for 2,000 years.
    Superior Authorities are plainly enough the civil, secular leaders.
    Pastor Russell understood it to be that as well.
    His successor did - for a while…
    J.F. Rutherford began in 1929 publishing/ teaching a “New Light TRUTH”, the opposite view to that of Russell which lasted 33 years before it was flipped back. Brother Rutherford died and Brother Knorr’s era came along and things went back to the traditional understanding.
    "It is a serious matter to represent God and Christ in one way, then find that our understanding of the major teachings and fundamental doctrines of the Scriptures was in error, and then after that, to go back to the very doctrines that, by years of study, we had thoroughly determined to be in error. Christians cannot be vacillating - 'wishy washy' - about such fundamental teachings. What confidence can one put in the sincerity or judgment of such persons?" Watchtower, May 15, 1976, p. 298

Yearbook 1982 p. 226-7

As the number of Witnesses increased, the issue was continually brought to the attention of the public and the authorities alike. Finally, a law was approved decreeing that those who do not agree to do alternative service shall be sentenced to one single prison term so that our young brothers are now given from 12 to 15 months of imprisonment...

From 1978 to 1980 there have been, on an average, 500 young brothers? a year in prison on account of the neutrality issue. It is calculated that up to the present, several thousand Witnesses have kept a clear conscience before Jehovah God in this respect.

Jehovah’s Witnesses are grateful when governments exempt them from military service altogether or allow conscientious young men and women to perform nonmilitary civilian national service. (Romans 12:18; 14:19; 2 Corinthians 10:4; Hebrews 12:14) Furthermore, the Witnesses’ neutral stand means that they do not interfere with those who choose to serve in the armed forces. The application of this simple principle makes Jehovah’s Witnesses exemplary, peace-loving citizens from whom governmental authorities have nothing to fear. “
    "What, though, if the Christian lives in a land where exemption [from military service] is not granted to ministers of religion? Then he will have to make a personal decision following his Bible-trained conscience. What, though, if the State requires a Christian for a period of time to perform civilian service that is a part of national service under a civilian administration? That is his decision before Jehovah." Watchtower 1996 May 1 pp.19-20

Notice the above date for the change in policy? 1996.
    That policy change came too late for these Brothers:
    NEWSWEEK MAGAZINE
    This week marked 25 years in prison without charges or trial for three men in Eritrea. The trio—identified as Paulos Eyasu, Isaac Mogos and Negede Teklemariam—have been incarcerated in the East African nation since 1994, after refusing to partake in military service, part of their pacifist beliefs as Jehovah's Witnesses.

________
    The above is part of a letter I've written to my former prison inmate Brothers (about 50 of them) who were in the same Federal Prison as
    I was from 1967-69.
    _______

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Excellent post Terry!

"What, though, if the Christian lives in a land where exemption [from military service] is not granted to ministers of religion? Then he will have to make a personal decision following his Bible-trained conscience. What, though, if the State requires a Christian for a period of time to perform civilian service that is a part of national service under a civilian administration? That is his decision before Jehovah." Watchtower 1996 May 1 pp.19-20

So, these bros. got locked up two years before the policy change. As a result, they spent 25 YEARS behind bars in an a destitute African country while their puppet-masters lived a carefree life with every possible convenience including the best Scotch Whiskey money can buy here:

• GodBeliever
    GodBeliever

Yes Terry!

Your post is very accurate.

"But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind. For that person (organisation) ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord, being a double-minded man(organisation), unstable in all his ways."

James 1:5‭-‬8

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

God Believer,

Can you explain why JW's are so reluctant to provide an reason for their faith when questioned? Is it embarrassing to you personally that you cannot or will not defend your faith in Jehovah?

Q: By what circumstance or device would you ever hope to be found righteous as a JW?

As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: - Romans 3: 10

This is an honest question that I have found JW's run away from when asked.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Sea Breeze, I am surprised to read that "JW's are so reluctant to provide an reason for their faith when questioned'. When I was active believing JW I had reasons for my belief in the religion and I defended a number of the teachings when I went door to door. But I don't think anyone ever asked me to provide me a reason for believing the JW religion. It would have been very easy for me to have done so though, and part of the defense would have been stating reasons for why I believed in the Bible and why I believed in the existence of Jehovah God and Jesus Christ. But now I know that the vast majority of the religious teachings of the WT and the Bible are false.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    When I was active believing JW I had reasons for my belief in the religion

DJW, that is an answer to a question I didn't ask isn't it?

GB and I both agree that the bible says that the righteous will inherit the earth. So...

Q: By what circumstance or device would you ever hope to be found righteous as a JW?

As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: - Romans 3: 10

It is an honest and simple question directed at God Believer.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Hi Sea Breeze. Thanks for your question. I read your earlier post very shortly before I had to start getting ready to go to work. I thus read it very quickly. I was focused on your words of the following. "Can you explain why JW's are so reluctant to provide an reason for their faith when questioned? Is it embarrassing to you personally that you cannot or will not defend your faith in Jehovah?" Those are the questions I was referring to in my prior post. I had skipped over the following two sentences of your post, and then I read the final sentence of the post, namely "It is an honest and simple question directed at God Believer." Regarding the question of "... By what circumstance or device would you ever hope to be found righteous as a JW?" I don't think I was ever asked that when I was JW. However, I had been asked something similar, and so I would reply that the Bible says that our faith must be backed up with works, otherwise the faith is not real. I also would mention that even Paul said he would not be saved until the end, that he had to remain faithful to the end to become saved. I also would admit that that JWs believe their salvation (prior to entering the New Order or heaven) is not completely certain. But your question of "By what circumstance or device would you ever hope to be found righteous as a JW?" was never asked me. Since I no longer believe in Jehovah I won't bother formulating an answer to it, other than to say that when I was a JW if I had been asked that question I might would have said I would have past the final test that Revelation mentions would happen when the 1,000 years of the abyss of Satan will end, after I will have been raised (by Christ) to perfection as a human.

• GodBeliever
    GodBeliever

SB
    Nobody could have been justified by the mosaic law so everyone was a sinner before God.
    Every human being that is to be saved and justified it's only through the belief in Jesus sacrifice.
    I hope these bible verses gives you the answer.

"because by the works of the Law none of mankind will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes knowledge of sin. But now apart from the Law the righteousness of God has been revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, but it is the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction, being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus, whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith. This was to demonstrate His righteousness, because in God’s merciful restraint He let the sins previously committed go unpunished; for the demonstration, that is, of His righteousness at the present time, so that He would be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. Where then is boasting? It has been excluded. By what kind of law? Of works? No, but by a law of faith. For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from works of the Law. Or is God the God of Jews only? Is He not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also, since indeed God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith is one. Do we then nullify the Law through faith? Far from it! On the contrary, we establish the Law."
    Romans 3:20‭-‬22‭, ‬24‭-‬31

"nevertheless, knowing that a person is not justified by works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the Law; since by works of the Law no flesh will be justified. But if, while seeking to be justified in Christ, we ourselves have also been found sinners, is Christ then a servant of sin? Far from it! For if I rebuild what I have once destroyed, I prove myself to be a wrongdoer. For through the Law I died to the Law, so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly.”
    Galatians

However, after someone is saved they need to walk in the good works god prepared for them.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them."
    Ephesians 2:8‭-‬10

"Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: sexual immorality, impurity, indecent behavior, idolatry, witchcraft, hostilities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. Now those who belong to Christ Jesus crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let’s follow the Spirit as well."
    Galatians 5:19‭-‬25

"You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes, nor figs from thistles, are they? So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit."
    Matthew 7:16‭-‬17

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

GB says: “Every human being that is to be saved and justified it's only through the belief in Jesus sacrifice.”

This answer seems Christian enough. But even the demons believe scripture says.

Jesus said that you are my friends if you do what I command you. I assume that like most trained JW’s, you ritually rebel against Jesus command to enter into an agreement with him at Mt. 26:27-28 “for the forgiveness of sins”.

So, if you do that; then how do you get your sins forgiven?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi GB,

You said you don't believe in Jehovah. Did I get that wrong?

Is Jehovah God your heavenly Father? Are you a child of Jehovah?

Has Jehovah forgiven you of all your sins and imputed the righteousness of His Son to you?

Has Jehovah saved you? Are you justified?

Do you have His Spirit indwelling you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit