Holiday booked today...Scared of Flying!

by ScoobySnax 44 Replies latest jw friends

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Ok so I booked my holiday up today over the internet, going next Monday week 1st September to Corfu in Greece, anyone been there>?

Also I'm scared sh@tless about flying. Any tips? The first time I went on a plane I was looking under my seat for a parachute, I was horrified to realise you don't have them. (seriously) I forgot about them big jet engines that would just suck you in. Its not really got any better for me since then. I won't let it stop me going away, but I still hate it. 9 days to go.....any tips for coping?

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Make sure you get a seat in the middle row (assuming you're on a 747), well away from the windows. It's not so bad then, even if you don't like flying. Also, accept all complementary drinks offered - they help you to relax a little more. Have a kip for a few hours.

• Simon
    Simon

Just remember, it's the safest way to travel.

I hate the 'not in control' feeling (same as getting on a train) but the chances of anything bad happening are remote. You are probably in more danger when you're driving to the airport and actually on holiday ... erm, but still have a good time !

• jgnat
    jgnat

Can't relate, Scoobs. You might enjoy this link, though. It looks good.

http://www.fearofflyinghelp.com/

• jelly
    jelly

I dont know if this will help but with flying there is only two times to worry about. If you are going to die it will be on take off or landing (usually). So after the first 45 minutes of the flight you can relax until the last 45 minutes.

Terry

• Prisca
    Prisca

If you don't want to fly, then I'll have your ticket.

I love Greece

Also, if you find a nice stewardess, let her know that you're scared of flying and she might take extra care of you (in the nicest possible way, not being rude or anything)

• badolputtytat
    badolputtytat

Relax Scooby.... flying is painless.. I go with my wife to London all the time to visit her family. No worries. They tell me, you don't feel a thing if the plane crashes. I mean, first the cabin loses air pressure and that sucks your lungs right outa your chest, and you sorta faint. THEN you are losing altitude so fast that, by the time the plane hits the ground you are traveling at about ten billion miles per hour. PLUS you have all that luggage and those people bouncing around in the cabin, you will probably be knocked unconcious anyway.....massive contusions, abrasions, blood loss, panic, heart failure, respritory failure and eventually shock.

See... and all that time, you are worried about hitting the little old ground.... just relax, shut your eyes, and it will all be over soon. Who knows? they might even put your picture in the paper..... or the National News!... YOU could be famous! There will be ceremonies in YOUR honor! People will bring flowers!!! and sing songs about you! And think about the burial expenses you could save, because your remains will be scattered for miles...!!!!

You are just gonna LOVE Greece! Just try not to dwell on the trip home, while you are there...

Just kidding... it is safe, I fly often...... no worries man!

---puttytat

p.s. can I have your computer?

• Nickey
    Nickey

Man I'm pissed. I make a change in my schedule and they charge me an extra $100 on top of the taxes and extra fees already in there. Then put on elevator music for me to listen to while they charge my credit card.... that's the REAL scary part. Flying ain't nothin' compared to that. *lol*

But really, I use to have a fear of flying. I still don't like flying over water. But I find bringing my own headphones and pestering the flight attendant for some drinks and pretzels brings me some relief.

It'll be okay. Just try to focus on having a nice trip. Think happy thoughts like my man Peter Pan. You can fly!

• jelly
    jelly

I have often wondered how people react in Airplanes when they are falling to their deaths. I mean the o2 comes down and if you get that on you will live the whole ride down, and basically from 35k feet you are talking about a four minute plunge. I wonder if any body just completely checks out of reality. I mean having four minutes to dwell on certain death must seem like an eternity in hell. I would hope my mind would put me somewhere else, like convincing myself I was actually on a rollercoaster or something. It would be interesting if a recording from the passenger cabin survived a plane wreck to see what would be on it. I wonder if you would see many people putting their arms up in the air a laughing as they do on roller coasters. The really wierd thing is that sometimes when I get on rollar coasters I wonder if I am really in a plane.
    Terry

• Been there
    Been there

Scoobs? You OK?

Hurry.............someone get the SALTS, I think Scooby has PASSED OUT!

Way to go guys.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit