So how "worldly" did you get after you left the "truth"

by greenhornet 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

I didn't take drugs or go out and drink and I still love my wife of 45 years and not looking for another relationship. But I smoke a cigar once in a blue moon, join a group of mostly athiest, I love christmas , birthdays and the fireworks on the 4th of July. Beng a born-in these are the ones that make me feel like a kid. I care less about the other hoildays except I get a day off work. I also grew a beard and I cuss once in awhile. I have also read alot of books I would never had the time for before. Rarely do I think it's tuesday or thursday night I have to go to a meeting. The only thursday night meeting I go to now is once a month to a mens dicussion group. Going on 9 years being out of the cult has made me into the worldly person I am today. Lol. Still Totally ADD

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

GREENHORNET:

I’m still pretty much the same person I was. I reconnected with relatives and celebrate the holidays with a vengeance since this religion tried to separate me from the only people who ever cared about me!!..This was a sobering lesson I learned before it was too late!

I moved on pretty much although some things still rankle me like recent threads about how ‘people wouldn’t grow old and wouldn’t need to worry about retirement’. Thankfully, I never believed that.

Everybody doesn’t bounce off the walls when they leave the Witnesses. This is a fallacy..The only exceptions: a young kid here and there especially if they are born-in. Anybody else who is a responsible adult is pretty much okay after a period of adjustment.. Some report a lessening in anxiety once they stop going and is anybody surprised at this?

I felt a lightness as though a weight had been lifted. This certainly was not the light and kindly yoke Jesus was talking about!

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Smiddy

So while i claim to be an Atheist I am open to the possibility that a GOD does exist but outside the realm of human understanding and has nothing to do with any religion on this earth.

Isn't that considered agnostic? From a definition:

a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

BYW I LOVE hearing about how some of you created educational, or other life expanding goals.

• jp1692
    jp1692

I forgot to include that I have grown a beard, and I voted in the last two elections!

• Humphry
    Humphry

I would I got really god dam worldly and did all the things I would like to do but didn't because I was a JW. I had a lot of repression and I found relatively semi safe way of un repressing. I wanted to find the authentic me what ever it was and get back in touch with myself. This is a never ending search for the real self. Boy was I glad to shake all that utter bull shit indoctrinated in me.

• Holden Caufield
    Holden Caufield

I vote and take part in politics.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

Let me think since disconnecting from the Watchtower, I now enjoy sleeping in, especially on the weekends - I have issues with insomnia - always have. I now don't feel regret in anything that used to bother me. Allowing my sons (now grown) to be the people they are meant to be, not what the Watchtower says they have to be. Thoroughly enjoy not being told by my JW relatives that my husband, me and my sons are going to die at Armageddon, yes that was the crap we were dealing with when were were still in. That's one of the good things about being shunned, they are keeping their toxic selves the hell away from me. Things I do after leaving the Watchtower; holidays, birthdays, voting, and living my life and enjoying it.

• fulano
    fulano

I read about some smoking cigars. Which brands guys? Me, daily. Not Cubans every day, but I like Alec Bradley, Padron, Oliva, Plasencia as well.

How worldly?

I think the moment you leave the organisation you become who you really are. When we came back from our foreign assignment 20 years ago, I stopped attending the meetings after a few months, wrote a letter I no longer wanted te be an elder. I had to work a lot. Then I found out our relationship was based on full-time service. There was nothing left when we left that. Started dating, smoking cigars, sometimes some marihuana, divorced, remarried to a lovely wife.

The only family I still see is my inactive brother. I got tired of the rest trying to tell me to return to the cult, judging and treating me in a Cold way. Then I told them not to contact me anymore.

Right now it's 3:50 in the morning, I cant sleep and just poored myself a Leffe beer, how worldly is that!

• zeb
    zeb

as a ps.. to my posting I send some $$ to grand kids for their ...birth days,.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit