I saw my mother today for the first time in three years

by pale.emperor 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I saw my mother today for the first time in three years.

She was on one of the witnessing carts in town at a station I don’t usually get off at. I did today as I was dropping my daughter off somewhere. I don’t know if she saw me but, damn, she looks old and tired.

We walked past, I gave her a head-nod and smile. She ignored it (or didnt see it). My daughter didn’t even know who she was so didn’t look up.

I told my older brother (who never got baptized and stopped going to meetings years ago), and he told me she’s been diagnosed with some sort of lung disease. Her doctor has told her to slow down, rest and basically take it easy. The problem with that is, she’s a fulltime pioneer. My brother told me that since the last convention she “realized” that the doctor’s advice was obviously a test from Satan to get her to stop pioneering – so she’s now actually doing more than she was before.

She’s pioneering herself into an early grave.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

I know a super elderette that wouldnt slow down during breast cancer treatment . got pneumonia and died

• sir82
    sir82

Heartbreakingly sad - sorry you have to experience this.

An extra helping of sadness in that your mother is convinced that she has to earn her way into paradise by doing more, more, more, even if it (literally) kills her.

If people would only stop and think for a millisecond - what kind of God demands such self-destructive slavery? And even such a God did exist, why on earth would you want to worship him?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

“Love never fails” in this religion indeed

• cofty
    cofty

That is sad.

I think it illustrates why I wouldn't try to persuade my parents that the WT is a cult even if I had the opportunity. It is their entire world. I have no idea how they would fill the vacuum if they took the red pill at their time of life.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PALE.EMPEROR:

I am sorry about your mom and her unnatural treatment of you. The religion wants it’s members to give this horrible treatment to the only people in the world who care about them ironically!

Even though my non-JW family was not perfect, I cannot imagine this. I’m so glad I got out of there and reconnected with my family before it was too late. This unnatural garbage is the one of the worst things the religion has done, IMO.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I've got to the point that I dont even care now. I know she's my mother but I feel nothing anymore. Just another JW. I have to think that way otherwise it'd drive me crazy.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Its complicated to be sure. We try to think of lost siblings and parents as living far away. Still love them but they are inaccessible.

It helps to know that many many people are estranged from family for entirely other reasons. I have friends who didn't speak to siblings or parents for decades over politics or money or because of being gay etc. It gives perspective. We are not alone in dealing with family issues.

• Moster
    Moster

personal face smacking reaction on my part as I read your post PE. Unbelievable how far their minds will take them down the rabbit hole. Now Satan is using her health to dissuade her from taking care of it. So sad she couldn't even acknowledge you either.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Pale so sorry for you and your family. In the last few days I lost a friend who died by falling in the bathroom. It was a hard reality for me to take in. It showed me how short life really is. The cult has done a number on us all to the point a mother could care less about her sons or her health. To think she believes satan is using a doctor to make her slow down. I am so sorry you have to go through this. Take care. Still Totally ADD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit