How Do I Get Rid of This?

by Big Tex 41 Replies latest watchtower medical

• blondie
    blondie

My response is not so funny.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000756.htm#Treatment

Medical Encyclopedia: Blepharospasm

URL of this page: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000756.htm

Alternative names

Eye twitch; Eye spasm

Definition

Blepharospasm is the repetitive contraction of eyelid muscles in a rhythmic fashion. In some instances, the eyelid may repeatedly close or attempt to close.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

The most common causes of muscle twitching in the eyelid are fatigue, stress, and caffeine. Once the spasms begin, they may continue intermittently for a day to more than a week, then disappear. Most people experience this type of eyelid twitch on occasion and find it extremely annoying. It usually stops suddenly, without even noticing it.

More severe contractions with closure of the eyelid are thought to be caused by irritation of the surface of the eye (cornea), or the membranes lining the eyelids (conjunctival irritation). This type of eyelid twitching is common, especially in certain seasons.

Another form of blepharospasm, lasts much longer, is very uncomfortable, and can close the eyelids completely.

Symptoms

A person experiences repetitive, uncontrollable twitching or spasms of the eyelid, usually the upper lid. Also, a person can become very sensitive to the light or have blurry vision.

Signs and tests

Examination by an ophthalmologist is indicated for severe spasms and lid closure, or spasms which last more than a couple days.

Treatment

The condition usually disappears without treatment. Increased sleep, decreased caffeine, and lubricating eye drops can help. If severe, small injections of Botulinum toxin can temporarily cure the spasms.

Support Groups

Benign Essential Blepharospasm Research Foundation, Inc.
    637 North 7th Street, Suite 102
    P.O. Box 12468
    Beaumont, TX 77726-2468
    (409) 832-0788
    www.blepharospasm.org

Expectations (prognosis)

Full resolution is expected within a few days.

Complications

Permanent eye injury from unrecognized cornea injury (rare) is possible.

Calling your health care provider

Call your health care provider or eye doctor (ophthalmologist) if you experience eyelid twitching that does not go away in 1 week or twitching that involves the entire face.

Prevention

Most cases are not preventable.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I can't help but wonder if women think you are trying to pick them up!

• blondie
    blondie

Another source (alternative medicine) (winking at the wrong woman can be dangerous)

http://www.drweil.com/app/cda/drw_cda.html-command=TodayQA-questionId=3004

DrWeil.com Question::

I get these weird eyelid twitches that can go on for weeks, and that are exceedingly annoying. I know they are probably stress-related, but I'd like to know what they are and how to treat them.

Answer::

The twitches you mention are like a hiccup -- a spasm of the motor nerves that control the eyelids. They're harmless and quite common, and have no medical significance.

In my experience, the twitches are definitely stress-related. I get them when I'm sleep-deprived. There is also speculation that they may be caused by a lack of lubrication of the eye. My advice to you is to get more sleep. Practice relaxation exercises such as my recommended breathing technique, which you'll find discussed more fully in "8 Weeks to Optimum Health" (Knopf, 1997). If you're really bothered, try acupuncture. A calcium-magnesium supplement also might help.

If both eyelids close involuntarily for longer than the usual blink time and the muscles of your mouth or neck sometimes spasm as well, you may have a condition called benign essential blepharospasm. This results from abnormal impulses from the brain that tell the muscles to move at the wrong time. Typically, this condition gets worse over time. Some people try biofeedback to correct it, but they usually aren't very satisfied with the results. Doctors are having better luck with injections of tiny amounts of botulinum toxin, made by the bacteria that cause the most dangerous kind of food poisoning. This treatment can stop the eyelid spasms for several months, although there can be temporary side effects such as dryness, droopiness of the eyelids or double vision.

The little twitches you describe are no cause for worry. I'd take them as a sign to cool down, chill out, get more sleep and try to fix whatever it is in your life at the moment that is causing your extra stress.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Tex- I saw the pics of the two women you posted in the "date" thread and I think I may have discovered your twitch problem. After looking at those twins, my eye was twitching too !!

Just stop doing that and you should be just fine !! LOL

XW

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Sheila

Maybe I should try to relax more. Actually most times I feel like Herbert Lom, who played the Chief Inspector in the Pink Panther movies. His eye always twitched and he had this insane giggle every time Clouseau did something stupid.

Francois

I hate milk. Isn't it better to try to find a pill to take instead? I'm American and I want to take a pill to solve my problem.

Simon

Ack! I've been discovered. Don't tell Nina.

Blondie

Thanks for the link. Yeah, this is in line with what I've read and heard too. I'm kinda nervous about injecting poison (botox) into my eyelid but this twitching is driving me nuts. I am thinking more and more this is caused by lack of sleep. I work at night and don't go to bed until about 3:00 a.m. most of the time. I usually am up by 10:00 a.m. but it's not good sleep. My body clock is set for going to bed at 10:30 to 11:00 p.m., so those extra 4 hours every night are tough. I've cut 95% of the caffeine out of my diet, but that really hasn't helped. I've been taking muscle relaxants (Flexeril) to see if that works and I don't notice a difference. So I think I'm going to try the calcium and magnesium and see what happens there. I wonder if my office would mind me doing yoga at work . . . . .

Elsewhere

Better women than men.

XW

Give up the Barbi twins? But I just know that they would have a cure.

>SIGH<

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

BigTex: Francois is WRONG the Coral Calcium is much more readily absorbed in the body. Milk is an inert substance with Calcium added after it is pasteurized. DON'T do the Viactin that you chew YUCKY PEW

• Lutece
    Lutece

you need more sleep and less looking at the puter. Whenever I'm at the computer for long days I get that. Good luck,

Anne

• berylblue
    berylblue

This happens to me when I am very upset over something. I have tracked it over the years, and have finally came to that conclusion.

If I am really upset, both twitch.

So now, when the twitching starts, I know to say to myself, "Okay, what situation are you pretending is okay and just stuffing down (with whatever) is, in actuality, not okay in the least?"

Not saying that's what it is for you, BT. Only what I've found to be true in my case.

• Panda
    Panda

BigTex, I get these twitches when I am stressed or haven't slept for a few days. Caffeine doesn't effect my twitching. But calcium is always good for nerve twitching. Do you have any other muscle pains? You could always talk to a nutritionist too.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

*hands Tex scotch tape roll*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit